Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah / this is my worry with the Sasquatch.
My thought is, the size of the tire itself will help in that instance, lots of surface area and it's relatively soft, at least for an instant if/until it deflates.
Not an engineer, just a guess.
I feel like, If it was a hazrd, I dont think Ford would remove them or they would at least move them out board a bit.
Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Once the supply of Broncos finally stabilizes, Ford should seriously consider making a vehicle based on the Bronco, but not so off-road-oriented. Maybe lower, more sedan-like. But as similar as possible in the manner of underlying construction.

Such a vehicle could easily be the much-needed successor to the Crown Victoria. I wouldn't even object to them calling it by that name; and a Lincoln version as the new Town Car.
So a BOF Flex?

I can dig it.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep, when the air bags go off it's done. Too many sensors and computers to replace along with expensive body damage. Then warrant that it will all work again in the next crash. A nice pile of spare parts for a salvage yard.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kernals6

Kernals6

Badlands
First Name
Brandi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my Bronco. My heart is broken but we all are at home safe. I drove a Jeep for years and absolutely loved it. When Ford introduced this Bronco I couldn’t get to the computer fast enough to order it. I’m a 43 yr old female that’s not really into vehicles and don’t know much about them. My husband and son helped me pick this one out and after a year I finally received it. I was blown away. Everything about this vehicle is amazing. It held up like a beast. I received my Bronco on Dec 17th. Had surgery on Dec 21. I had only driven it a few days before I become a passenger due to my surgery. The surgery I had was serious and personal but to walk away from that crash with only 5 stitches is unheard of. God is good. Ford is tough and I will DEFINITELY be ordering another. I will keep everyone posted on the insurance and how they all turns out so everyone will know if anything like this happens to another Bronco Owner. I pray it doesn’t. Yes we really were going around 50 mph and it was down a mild hill. Not sure on the other car. Last minute swerve from my husband was an excellent decision due to my circumstances still healing from surgery. FORD has impressed me far above than I could have imagined. Man…. I loved my Bronco and can’t wait to get another. Impressive FORD super Impressive and job well done.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco's safety made sure the owners of this Bronco walked away to tell the story... hit head-on going 50mph by a Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis driven by an underaged drunk driver. Good thing Bronco driver swerved last second to avoid full complete head-on contact. The Bronco only had 300+ miles on it. The drunk driver received a cut to the head and was at least insured.

271138545_10224439969285611_5919672803926315040_n.jpg

271176800_10224439969445615_7516300617103994641_n.jpg

271118676_10224439969125607_2099090764461965204_n.jpg

270774574_10224439970085631_3091464540556312595_n.jpg
"Hey Manny, get you hammer and come bang this thing out ba baby! Hahahaha"

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That Crown Vic hit something else before or after hitting the Bronco.

JZZ

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The Crown Vic is legendary for its durability. That's a major reason why, for almost the entire time that Ford was making them, they pretty much owned the police car market. It saddened me when Ford discontinued it, without bringing out a suitable successor.

And now, there's one less, thanks to some drunken asshole. In a way, this saddens me more than the loss of a Bronco. Crown Vics are no longer being built, so every one destroyed is one that will never be replaced. 6G Broncos are scarce, but they are being built, which, in my mind, mitigates the tragedy of one being lost.

Anyway, it certainly says a lot about the Bronco that it did as well as it did in a head-on collision with one.

I wonder if you've have come out better if you had not swerved, and had taken the hit full head-on.

I think of the Titanic, which swerved to avoid hitting an iceberg, and tore up a large portion of its side against it, with rather bad results. It's been speculated that the Titanic would easily have survived, along with all its passengers and crew, if it had hit the iceberg head-on.
Naaaaa there’s no way I’ll ever believe that a headon collision is better than a corner or sideswipe there is this thing called physics that will support that regarding the Titanic when the Bronco starts taking on water then I will be concerned 🤔

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Naaaaa there’s no way I’ll ever believe that a headon collision is better than a corner or sideswipe there is this thing called physics that will support that regarding the Titanic when the Bronco starts taking on water then I will be concerned 🤔
There was some discussion in the 2021 Bronco Crash Test Results - 5/6 Rating by IIHS. thread about offset head-ons being part of the newer IIHS tests after it was found that vehicles that did well in a solid head-on still often failed in The Real World to protect their passengers in an offset head-on crash.

Of course, those tests are about the vehicle protecting its passengers, rather than itself surviving. In the case of this thread, the Bronco did an amazing job of protecting its passengers, and surely would have in a solid head-on as well. Beyond that, we're down to wondering if the Bronco itself might have better survived a solid head-on. From the OP pictures, it looks to me like the most fatal damage to the Bronco is the way the frame is bent at the forward port corner corner. The frame, I think, might have held up better to a straight hit from the front.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is my Bronco. My heart is broken but we all are at home safe. I drove a Jeep for years and absolutely loved it. When Ford introduced this Bronco I couldn’t get to the computer fast enough to order it. I’m a 43 yr old female that’s not really into vehicles and don’t know much about them. My husband and son helped me pick this one out and after a year I finally received it. I was blown away. Everything about this vehicle is amazing. It held up like a beast. I received my Bronco on Dec 17th. Had surgery on Dec 21. I had only driven it a few days before I become a passenger due to my surgery. The surgery I had was serious and personal but to walk away from that crash with only 5 stitches is unheard of. God is good. Ford is tough and I will DEFINITELY be ordering another. I will keep everyone posted on the insurance and how they all turns out so everyone will know if anything like this happens to another Bronco Owner. I pray it doesn’t. Yes we really were going around 50 mph and it was down a mild hill. Not sure on the other car. Last minute swerve from my husband was an excellent decision due to my circumstances still healing from surgery. FORD has impressed me far above than I could have imagined. Man…. I loved my Bronco and can’t wait to get another. Impressive FORD super Impressive and job well done.
Glad the vehicle held up and you and yours are safe. Pretty amazing how well the cabin looks to protect it's occupants. Props to Ford.

Cheers!

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Genuinely glad to hear you and your family are safe. Hope you heal quickly from your injuries and surgery.

I hate to see this happen to anyone, but knowing this happened to someone who enthusiastically waited and finally got their vehicle is especially agonizing.

Pretty insane how someone caught that much of your front end even though your husband swerved to avoid the accident. Definitely fortunate your husband made such a maneuver. Scary stuff! Keep us posted!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, hard to argue that didn’t help further damage/cab intrusion.

C55F6A11-500A-43AC-9EEC-A9E398FB2746.jpeg
Kept the wheel from crushing backwards. See just above the rock rail/corner of fender........... the small square............... crash bar. Hardly any damage to the fender from the tire.

1641097166891.png

Just my obeservations. 😁
There is a crash bar fore and aft of the front wheel.
I'm quoting all the messages as they support my initial assertion that the crash bars did their job by mitigating cabin intrusion of the wheel assembly. As Baus67 and Bodge Garage pointed out, there is a front/rear crash bar for each wheel on stock Broncos. They work in tandem.

Now someone made the supposition that the larger Sasquatch tire would soften the blow, but that's a fallacy when it is deflated. You still have a 17" wheel transferring impact forces with no crash bars to mitigate that force. I think it was 4WP that was using the high clearance crash bars for the Ranger on their Stage 1 lifts (faux-Sasquatch). It would be prudent for those who optioned the Sasquatch package to do the same.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think of the Titanic, which swerved to avoid hitting an iceberg, and tore up a large portion of its side against it, with rather bad results. It's been speculated that the Titanic would easily have survived, along with all its passengers and crew, if it had hit the iceberg head-on.
As with the Titanic, it is impossible to override reaction and instinct in a split-second decision. Your instinct tells you to try to avoid a crash, not to employ whichever collision mitigation strategies exist.
Sponsored