Sponsored

Bronco towing vs Ranger, why the difference?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A. What the H-E-Double hockey sticks are you smoking? I'll take some.

B. The Ranger doesn't come with a manual transmission
A. creative analogy, they can be fun at times.

B. while yours is a statement of fact, this thread and the argument as a whole has been about towing capacity not their transmission options. As you found an unrelated analogy perplexing, I find it perplexing that you would make an unrelated argument with unrelated facts to support your opinion. "Hello Mr. Pot, this is Mr. Kettle, you'll be good friends"
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Going to get an aftermarket class III hitch that attaches to the frame to distribute weight better. I'll have no qualms towing 5-6000 lbs properly equipped...

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
We have to keep in mind the SAE J2807 tow standard. Here is the Ranger specs that make it 7000lbs. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

Look at the asterisk note: Notes: • Ranger calculated with SAE J2807 method. • Do not exceed trailer weight of 3,500 lbs. when towing with bumper only.

Bronco is bumper only, therefore 3500lbs. Bronco can match the Ranger but only with an optional Tow Package like the Ranger has.

May be more difficult with the Bronco having rear coils compared to a Ranger with leafs but IMO 5000lbs is doable with a real hitch instead of that shitty ClassII bumper hitch.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Going to get an aftermarket class III hitch that attaches to the frame to distribute weight better. I'll have no qualms towing 5-6000 lbs properly equipped...
this is not even remotely legal or should ever be recommended to anyone. Tow capacities are not up for anyone to decide. The rating the manufacturers give is what you are allowed legally to tow. Nothing you do will increase it. It’s not just you on roads.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There’s much smaller toy haulers nowadays, but sure plenty toy haulers can still weigh up to 15k or more empty. For me, my current one weighs a bit over 5k empty, have multiple motorcycles but only take one at a time, lightest is in the 300lbs range heaviest is almost 800lbs. I know of a couple brands with toy haulers that meet my basic needs that weigh around 3200lbs empty, but that’s the smallest I’ll go(there’s actually a couple slightly smaller than that, but won’t work for me and some cost way too much for the size). So with my heaviest bike that would put me at 4K with no clothes or gear. 5k tow cap would then give me 1000lbs for anything I need to bring(few hundred more if bringing lighter bike or the few trips I don’t bring a bike, and anything over 5k tow cap is a plus too). If no 5k tow cap then no reason to go to a smaller toy hauler, the other vehicle options I’m considering all have closer to around 8k+ tow caps. Still might trade my toy hauler in for a new one soon anyways, but just be similar size instead of smaller.
Go it. Yeah I didn't realize they would be that light. I was thinking 5k or more plus a few k for toys. Maybe the next gen 4Runner will fit your bill.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A. creative analogy, they can be fun at times.

B. while yours is a statement of fact, this thread and the argument as a whole has been about towing capacity not their transmission options. As you found an unrelated analogy perplexing, I find it perplexing that you would make an unrelated argument with unrelated facts to support your opinion. "Hello Mr. Pot, this is Mr. Kettle, you'll be good friends"
Sorry I was unclear - it was not meant to be an analogy. I understood you to be saying that the Ranger was likely the vehicle that those of us who wanted to tow were looking for. I felt it important to point out that it doesn't have a manual transmission and is therefore and unacceptable substitution for the Bronco.

A Bronco pickup with a stick on the other hand...

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We have to keep in mind the SAE J2807 tow standard. Here is the Ranger specs that make it 7000lbs. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

Look at the asterisk note: Notes: • Ranger calculated with SAE J2807 method. • Do not exceed trailer weight of 3,500 lbs. when towing with bumper only.

Bronco is bumper only, therefore 3500lbs. Bronco can match the Ranger but only with an optional Tow Package like the Ranger has.

May be more difficult with the Bronco having rear coils compared to a Ranger with leafs but IMO 5000lbs is doable with a real hitch instead of that shitty ClassII bumper hitch.
Bronco hitch isn’t really bumper mount same way as the ranger though. It’s mounted to the frame with square receiver that comes out under the bumper. It’s just mounted on a crossmember instead of bolting to both frame rails, but still mounted to a welded on structural piece. Ranger is literally just the bumper bolted on is the hitch when you don’t have the optional tow package to add a hitch. There’s no square hitch receiver. It’s just like older trucks where there was just a hole cut out in the bumper where you could mount a hitch ball, rangers got a hole in the middle of the bumper. So the bumper itself is rated to hold 3500lbs before it rips off the truck, the hitch in the tow package then mounts to the frame rails so no weight is on the bumper when towing. You can see in this pic the circle in the middle is just a cover over a hole to mount a ball hitch.
Ford Bronco Bronco towing vs Ranger, why the difference? CAF90EA4-ED4B-4B3F-B2B0-F24C7218E70D

So when ford towing guide says 3500lbs max when towing with bumper only, it literally means pulling by the bumper. But yes without a hitch that can tow more than 3500lbs the bronco will never be rated any higher. But that could literally be the only thing making the rating so low, without ford actually saying so there’s no way to know for certain if anything else is limiting it that much. If ford made a real hitch, mounted to the frame rails then maybe we’d get a tow rating based on what it’s actually capable of, then could really see if there’s anything else limiting it or if it’s capable enough even as is. Otherwise we’re just left to speculate.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All I want is an Max Tow OPTION. If that OPTION reduces the off-road capability for MY Bronco, then I am ok with that.
Yes, the Ranger exists. That was your point, right?
How does this make any sense? The Bronco and Ranger are two completely different vehicles, in case you haven't noticed. My #1 preference is a Bronco. Unfortunately they don't tow as much as I expected them to, so I am forced into a different vehicle segment.
Not sure why you (or anyone) is against the Bronco being able to tow more? It's like being against Ford offering more than one engine option, just because you only want a 2.3L, or being against a Manual option because you only want an Auto

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How does this make any sense? The Bronco and Ranger are two completely different vehicles, in case you haven't noticed. My #1 preference is a Bronco. Unfortunately they don't tow as much as I expected them to, so I am forced into a different vehicle segment.
Not sure why you (or anyone) is against the Bronco being able to tow more? It's like being against Ford offering more than one engine option, just because you only want a 2.3L, or being against a Manual option because you only want an Auto
You want Bronco to be something it cannot be because it's been designed to do something else, and do that other thing well. That has nothing to do with my personal preferences.

Just go get a Gladiator, then you can have a vehicle that can do a lot of different things poorly.

Some see the glass as half full.

Others see the glass as half empty.

An engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure would like being in a short wheel base vehicle with a trailer and the load behind the axle. Sway control came out because people don't know how to load a trailer correctly. Not enough/too much tongue weight and you gonna get whipped all over the road, no thanks.

Last edited:

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been on the Autobahn where you’ll see people towing an RV with a VW Golf. America is too litigious. I’d guess the tow rating settled at 3,500lbs because there’s some safety concern towing 5,500 at 85mph.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You want Bronco to be something it cannot be because it's been designed to do something else, and do that other thing well. That has nothing to do with my personal preferences.
That's where we differ. I truly believe the Bronco could tow more despite being designed to be an off road vehicle. IMO, for it to tow more, it only requires Ford to make some easy part changes, which could be an Option.
I see the glass as half full. The Bronco could be both what you want, and what I want.

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve been on the Autobahn where you’ll see people towing an RV with a VW Golf. America is too litigious. I’d guess the tow rating settled at 3,500lbs because there’s some safety concern towing 5,500 at 85mph.
I do agree about America being to litigious but I believe another factor is different towing regulations and laws in Europe such as speed limit while towing is quite a bit less then cars not towing and with so many speed cameras, I’d believe they usually stick to the speed limit.
Sponsored