Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new rapter was announced today and they switched to a single axel 5 link coilover setup in the rear which I understand (could be wrong and thus the confusion) similar to what the Bronco has. There is no more leaf spring and its soft sprung for desert running similar to a wildtrak. So what gives with the Bronco tow weight restriction and the Rapter gets a tow weight improvement over last year? I guess the coils and the shocks are the difference but just seemed interesting to me. Somethings missing in my understanding there. Anyways just bitching about Bronco tow weight limits again, just seems like this stuff is just arbitrarily made up to match Jeep. I understand the engine, brakes, cooling, etc go into a rating but let's be real, its a ranger frame, 2.7L EcoBoost from an F150 and I'm sure they didn't put peewee herman brakes on it so that leaves cooling and suspension. Just missing my 5K rating, I will go back to my cave again and shutup and just enjoy my Bronco.
Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm assuming it all has to do with the government and the 6,000 lbs GVWR class. If someone has insight on this part of it, could you provide a link.

Thanks!

ETA: Just did some research on the Ford Ranger. The Ranger without the Tow Package has a tow rating of 3,500 lbs and the ball is mounted to the bumper with the 4 pin connector under the bumper. If you get the tow package, 7,500 lbs tow capacity, it adds a Class IIII receiver hitch and the 7/4 pin connectors. Everything else is identical.

The Bronco's receiver hitch isn't much, probably why it's rated at only 3,500 lbs. If you were to go aftermarket Class III receiver hitch and got stiffer rear springs, you would be good to go. With this setup, if your tongue weight didn't put you over your GVWR, gross vehicle weight rating, you should be good to pull up to 8,000 lbs. Typically your tongue weight should be 10% of your trailers total weight. And realistically, you might not have to upgrade the rear springs if you keep your vehicle within it's payload capacity.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm assuming it all has to do with the government and the 6,000 lbs GVWR class. If someone has insight on this part of it, could you provide a link.

Thanks!

ETA: Just did some research on the Ford Ranger. The Ranger without the Tow Package has a tow rating of 3,500 lbs and the ball is mounted to the bumper with the 4 pin connector under the bumper. If you get the tow package, 7,500 lbs tow capacity, it adds a Class IIII receiver hitch and the 7/4 pin connectors. Everything else is identical.

The Bronco's receiver hitch isn't much, probably why it's rated at only 3,500 lbs. If you were to go aftermarket Class III receiver hitch and got stiffer rear springs, you would be good to go. With this setup, if your tongue weight didn't put you over your GVWR, gross vehicle weight rating, you should be good to pull up to 8,000 lbs. Typically your tongue weight should be 10% of your trailers total weight. And realistically, you might not have to upgrade the rear springs if you keep your vehicle within it's payload capacity.

Hope this helps!
I don’t think I’d try that much, but 4500-5000 sure with a load balancing setup, and braked of course.

Also, I would consider bigger brakes in this scenario.

As for the class III hitch: I wonder how similar the frame rail spacing is to the Ranger.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FORD planned ahead to make sure that there's a clear differentiation between the Ranger RAPTOR and bronco
so that one doesn't steal sales from the other.

it's like why VW eventually declined to put a 5 pot motor into the golf R. that would encroach on audi RS3 territory.

Sponsored

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It’s the same reason a 3/4 ton is rated to tow more than a 1/2 ton. Beefier frame, longer wheelbase, larger brakes. I’ve towed the same camper with a half ton (F-150 with 3.5 eco and heavy duty payload package) and 3/4 ton (F-250 power stroke) and the difference is night and day. Someone else already mentioned the Ranger, which I believe shares the same frame as the Bronco? You have to compare tow numbers to that vs comparing to a half ton.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't know about the new one but in years past the Raptor's tow/payload rating took a beating compared to a "normal" F-150 too. Power Wagon vs 2500 Ram does also.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

FORD planned ahead to make sure that there's a clear differentiation between the Ranger RAPTOR and bronco
so that one doesn't steal sales from the other.

it's like why VW eventually declined to put a 5 pot motor into the golf R. that would encroach on audi RS3 territory.
Not true for towing. Max out a Ranger’s tow capacity and then tow that same load with the half ton... you’ll understand the difference.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Raptors suck for towing unless you put air bags on that squishy rear suspension

Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I’m the only one, but I honestly don’t care about the tow rating. I’m even springing for the tow package.

I may pull a small utility trailer from time to time, or a bike rack, thats about it.

Side note: I plan to explore the idea of moving the rear camera from the spare tire down to inside the receiver. I did the same on my Tacoma and it works great.

Ok, ok... I digress and yield back to the topic at hand.

PEACE

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe I’m the only one, but I honestly don’t care about the tow rating. I’m even springing for the tow package.

I may pull a small utility trailer from time to time, or a bike rack, thats about it.

Side note: I plan to explore the idea of moving the rear camera from the spare tire down to inside the receiver. I did the same on my Tacoma and it works great.

Ok, ok... I digress and yield back to the topic at hand.

PEACE
I am in the same boat, with two trucks in the fleet the Bronco will never a tow pig anymore than the Edge it replaces.

The rear receiver is a recovery point to me.

I do think a tow/payload package would be well received for those that want it though.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I ordered the tow package because it was cheap and something I felt was a “better to have and not need” situation. I will likely rarely tow anything. Hitch will be a bike rack mostly.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Isn’t the real answer that the Bronco was designed to compete with the Wrangler so 3,500 was “good enough” but Raptors have to compete with TRX (8,100) and Powerwagons? So if they had a wussy tow rating they would get mocked and lose sales from people that aren’t going to tow in first place...

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Isn’t the real answer that the Bronco was designed to compete with the Wrangler so 3,500 was “good enough” but Raptors have to compete with TRX (8,100) and Powerwagons? So if they had a wussy tow rating they would get mocked and lose sales from people that aren’t going to tow in first place...
PW is a 3/4 ton at its core and kind of a different genre of offroader than the Raptor/TRX.

For overlanding the Wrangler's light payload/towing is an issue. Defender (abit with a vastly different price point) has 400lbs more payload than a Bronco and is rated to tow more than a Ranger (up to 8200lbs)
Sponsored