Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is an EV really better for the environment? Much to debate on that subject. Everything from how your electricity is generated, the lithium mines, battery disposal, etc. Range is the big speed bump for most (me included). I travel a lot between Portland and Montana. It's 600 miles each way which I can comfortably do in 9-10 hours in my Raptor without a fuel stop. With the current EV technology in the warm weather that now becomes a 2 day trip each way with a night in a hotel each way. When the temps drop so does the range of an EV. What is the range at 0 to -20F? If EV is the future the current battery technology is not the answer. Is EV a stepping stone toward non-fossil fueled vehicles? You bet. Works fine for city and suburbs. Not so good for rural and cold climates.
Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is an EV really better for the environment? Much to debate on that subject. Everything from how your electricity is generated, the lithium mines, battery disposal, etc. Range is the big speed bump for most (me included). I travel a lot between Portland and Montana. It's 600 miles each way which I can comfortably do in 9-10 hours in my Raptor without a fuel stop. With the current EV technology in the warm weather that now becomes a 2 day trip each way with a night in a hotel each way. When the temps drop so does the range of an EV. What is the range at 0 to -20F? If EV is the future the current battery technology is not the answer. Is EV a stepping stone toward non-fossil fueled vehicles? You bet. Works fine for city and suburbs. Not so good for rural and cold climates.
Someone post a YouTube video of driving a Tesla in -33 temps from full charge, 2 hours in and 109 miles he was down to 3%. One day the technology might catch up, to make them a viable vehicle in Northern States, but it certainly isn't there yet.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
EV is no doubt the future and charge times will decrease, range will increase, charging stations will be installed everywhere you can get gas, prices will come down. All manufacturers will focus on EV. They will likely need less maintenance and you can keep them longer because they will be updated with a software download. They also have torque and are or will be much quicker than the fastest ICE cars except they sound like nothingness.

With that said, I’m not cross shopping Bronco with an EV, especially since I’m getting a Basemansquatch which comes in at under $40k so not the same price range as a Rivian or Lightening.

Im buying the Bronco Specifically because it’s an ICE, removable top 4x4 with a Manual. I also have a newish awd, manual STi, hydraulic steering, flat 4 turbo. These types of vehicles will NOT be made much longer while EVs will be everywhere in 10 years. I see a Bronco Manual as somewhat of a last shot at a fun vehicle.

I had a 2018 Camry Hybrid and it was an amazingly comfortable daily driver that got 44 mpg but it was in no way fun. I will have an EV at some point because I believe in the technology, but it will be surrounded by older ICE, with manual transmissions.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Overall is electric really all that good for the environment? Have you not seen the slave camps in the middle of Africa where all the precious components of the batteries come from? And the cost of disposal at end of life far exceeds the cost of turning a 56 Chevy into 66 Toyota (hopefully nobody crushes cars from50s and sends to Japan anymore since the Japanese brought their plants here)

If ypu want almost immediate, 15 minute FULL charge wait for an Atlis. And range is hype. 300 to empty battery does nothing ypu can drive 300 miles before charging any more than you can drive an ICE until the tank is dry. Real world anecdote, z friend of my son drove an EV pulling a trailer cross country - 100 miles at a time. 100.

But now that Ford pulled out of Rivian in favor of their own F150 Lightning you have a choice around the corner that surely will be much less than a Rivian and serviceable at more dealers.

6G_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 2DR waiting
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The F150 Lightning build configuration is online, A lightning XLT with extended range will go for $72,500+ and get about 300 estimated miles range? That's $20,000 more then standard! If it got 500 miles range I would purchase but that's just to much money for to little range.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cost and a garage to charge the electric vehicles are the main factors for me. I would much prefer electric and the Rivian or even Electric F150 over the Bronco- although the prices are unaffordable. Electric is so much more efficient and also rocket fast in terms of performance. The efficiency of electric compared to the Bronco is a no brainer- the Bronco burning 4.00 a gallon gas at the rate of 16-18 MPG. In my case I would have to do the math- my 40K Basesquatch versus a 80K Rivian......Bronco is going to cost me 5K a year in gas at 4.00 a gallon. Rivian is 40K more. That's a 8 year pay back, not very good. If electric F150 or Rivian were like 50K the payback is less and I would for sure opt for a Rivian or F150.

I am very worried with this electric trend that the Bronco may not be desirable in just a few years- and also gas supply and pricing. BTW I am not an electric vehicle fan at all. It's all about cost and getting around doing what I need to do while on making less and less $$ per year.

If it were not for gas hiking up to 4.00 a gallon and it would stay at the 3.00 range it would be Bronco all the way for me.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think most people a misrepresenting use and also using examples outside the norm to formulate an argument.

The average driver drives 30 miles a day. Rural drivers drive more, but not substantially.

For most use scenarios, an EV range of 300 miles is plenty. For most temperatures, the ranges still is suitable for most driver's.

I get it, people are resistant to change, and there are pros and cons to all options. That said, the argument against EV aren't 600 mile road trips, -30 degree weather, or other abnormal uses....they don't beat the overwhelming argument that for the average use, EV is very viable.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2015/04/new-study-reveals-much-motorists-drive/

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think most people a misrepresenting use and also using examples outside the norm to formulate an argument.

The average driver drives 30 miles a day. Rural drivers drive more, but not substantially.

For most use scenarios, an EV range of 300 miles is plenty. For most temperatures, the ranges still is suitable for most driver's.

I get it, people are resistant to change, and there are pros and cons to all options. That said, the argument against EV aren't 600 mile road trips, -30 degree weather, or other abnormal uses....they don't beat the overwhelming argument that for the average use, EV is very viable.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2015/04/new-study-reveals-much-motorists-drive/
Perhaps the average driver in the US doesn't drive in -30, but the average driver in Minnesota certainly does. It was -25 last week, I don't know one single business that was closed, I was at work and I never heard of a call in.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Perhaps the average driver in the US doesn't drive in -30, but the average driver in Minnesota certainly does. It was -25 last week, I don't know one single business that was closed, I was at work and I never heard of a call in.
Sure, but even with a reduced mileage range do to the weather, it is more than 3 times the average daily driving miles.

A vehicle is a tool and all tools have uses and limitations. Your specific use on a specific day might fall outside the comfortable use of the tool, but that doesn't mean it is a bad tool. That is the mistake people in this thread are making. Identifiable very specific instance the tool doesn't work, then saying the tool it shit.

Last edited:

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm not willing to pull the trigger on all electric yet, although I do believe that's what I'll be driving in the not too distant future. Technology is advancing at a rapid pace. I don't think it'll be long before typical driving ranges are 500+ miles and charging times are under 10 minutes.

Sponsored
OP
OP

njcoach24

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A lightning XLT with extended range will go for $72,500+ and get about 300 estimated miles range? That's $20,000 more then standard!
With cost of gas in a standard, my brother has an F150 and pays about 180 to fill up in California. Thats about 4K a year in gas for him. He fills up twice a month.

Than add in the rebate, currently $7,500 tax credit...for F150 lighting could be $12,000 instant rebate if BBB bill passes. So that 72,500 truck is now $60,500 before any local/state incentives. Same price as a Wildtrack or Badlands.

I guess my thoughts more around best value for dollar. Of course smiles per gallon are priceless when taking off the doors and top of the Bronco. And my 4 year old son knows what a Bronco is and really loves the Orange so there is some bonding value there for me too.

Environmental stuff is debatable in either direction. Extreme situation stuff also debatable and various by each of our living locations. I've never had an electric car so I don't really know but the range loss in the cold would be concerning for me as I live in Jersey but if I can charge at my house every night I probably wouldn't care. Also the dealership experience is rather trash which is why we see things like car max and the other resale sites being such a big hit.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
assure, but even with a reduced mileage range do to the weather, it is more than 3 times the average daily driving miles.

A vehicle is a tool and all tools have uses and limitations. Your specific use on a specific day might fall outside the comfortable use of the tool, but that doesn't mean it is a bad tool. That is the mistake people in this thread are making. Identifiable very specific instance the tool doesn't work, then saying the tool it shit.
On a specific day??? You don't seem to understand extreme temps can last a days or weeks. Some can afford $70,000 toys that can be used when the weather is nice, some use affordable tools that work when needed.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No interest in battery powered toys, this is Bronco6G, not tree hugging hippy forum.

rgalvinmi

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Base
EV is no doubt the future and charge times will decrease, range will increase, charging stations will be installed everywhere you can get gas, prices will come down. All manufacturers will focus on EV. They will likely need less maintenance and you can keep them longer because they will be updated with a software download. They also have torque and are or will be much quicker than the fastest ICE cars except they sound like nothingness.

With that said, I’m not cross shopping Bronco with an EV, especially since I’m getting a Basemansquatch which comes in at under $40k so not the same price range as a Rivian or Lightening.

Im buying the Bronco Specifically because it’s an ICE, removable top 4x4 with a Manual. I also have a newish awd, manual STi, hydraulic steering, flat 4 turbo. These types of vehicles will NOT be made much longer while EVs will be everywhere in 10 years. I see a Bronco Manual as somewhat of a last shot at a fun vehicle.

I had a 2018 Camry Hybrid and it was an amazingly comfortable daily driver that got 44 mpg but it was in no way fun. I will have an EV at some point because I believe in the technology, but it will be surrounded by older ICE, with manual transmissions.
Disagree...I bought a Base 4 door sasquatch 41k OTD, my PRO lightning will be either 32500 (after 7500 tax credit) or 27500 (after 12500 tax credit), PLUS sales tax....so my lightning 230 mile range is considerably cheaper than the cost of my wonderful full size sasquatch bronco...just facts in my case (both vehicles get A plan pricing). The cheapest was my Hybrid Maverick XLT, 25k OTD.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am placing an order for a F150 Lightning Pro.

46,500 - AWD, 230mi range, 10k tow capacity, larger interior, swankier interior, more tech.

Well worth it.
Sponsored