John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They called out a body lift, but the shocks don't look stock, so some other lift as well, it seems. None of that really had anything to do with the problem at hand, though. Getting through sand like that needs torque and power to keep the wheel speed up as you gain mph. All the vehicles that struggled did so because they shifted into a higher gear, wheel speed dropped, and the engine didn't have enough torque to get the speed back up in that gear. That didn't happen for the Bronco, likely helped by a 10-speed transmission and closer ratios, oh, and twin turbos.
So yeah, it may have had a lift, but that doesn't play a lot here. Stock that fits 35's which are plenty big to give flotation.

It's clear from the video that Matt expected his big rig to have no problem on the sand dune and be the vehicle that pulled everyone out. When that didn't happen, then all bets were off, and he knew it, you could see it on his face. Then it was just finding what could get the furthest up. I don't think he expected the Bronco would be able to beat his special-built machines so he didn't have it go first. Remember, he's pulled a number of Broncos out of the sand and rocks already by this point. So he didn't have that go first.
Ha! Momentum! Back before I could drive, I was a pusher (what you call "torque") for our early 1960's Sunday Cape Cod beach trips in my uncle's 2wd VW dropside pickup van. Air down to almost flat. Kids jump out. Spin and get going. Kids push. At speed. Kids jump in/on the truck. Don't stop! Stop? Everyone out, repeat! In that era, alot of working men couldnt afford 4wd, they made do with what they had.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2) as soon as it was obvious that the wrecker wasn't going to just crawl up that hill, he should have shut it down instead of trashing the trail for everyone else.
Really they should have started with the smallest tire rig or at least staged vehicles at check points on the way down. 54" holes swallowed the Porsche whole.

Was a total disaster, super happy they filmed it and posted it. I really don't consider Matt's offroad recovery an expert operation. They don't carry half the stuff they should and constantly do things they shouldn't. I have been watching them since the beginning and I think that is why I like watching them.

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's gonna be awkward in here when people realize the Bronco is modified by bronc buster, and is doing well with those mods...........too many people love to hate lol.

Reactions: Dom

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's gonna be awkward in here when people realize the Bronco is modified by bronc buster, and is doing well with those mods...........too many people love to hate lol.
Except it didn't get up the hill based on the mods.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco's rear bumper doesn't look too happy at the 47:50 point of the video.

g6xOKRx.jpg

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Really they should have started with the smallest tire rig or at least staged vehicles at check points on the way down. 54" holes swallowed the Porsche whole.

Was a total disaster, super happy they filmed it and posted it. I really don't consider Matt's offroad recovery an expert operation. They don't carry half the stuff they should and constantly do things they shouldn't. I have been watching them since the beginning and I think that is why I like watching them.
Well said.. I couldn't put my finger totally on it, but I just found myself enjoying that video more than their typical ones.

You hit it, And I'm so glad they did post it...God knows I wouldn't have :p

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on years of backcountry experience, I'd say Matt was suffering dehydration. Gravelly voice, disoriented etc.

Very dangerous game in those temps.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on years of backcountry experience, I'd say Matt was suffering dehydration. Gravelly voice, disoriented etc.

Very dangerous game in those temps.
Dehydration and frustration. A very bad combo.

Sponsored

DaddyMuffin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two convertibles, a station wagon, and a bus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm gonna say this since no one else has. The Bronco was the most capable vehicle.

Matt was super professional but his vehicles were overmatched without a sand capable wrecker and he started the day over confident.

Can we get specs on that Wildtrak build?

OP
OP
CalvinT

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And to think they're expert field mechanics. My guess is, Matt and crew have jury rigged so many vehicles in so many situations, they assumed they could handle whatever this sand hill could have, and they finally encountered an obstacle that exceeded their skill set (almost).

A major mistake #1 was bringing the Porsche. Mistake #2 was, after seeing the wrecker fail and abandoning it (for now), they put the Porsche in between two capable vehicles: the Morvair and the Bronco. They should have saved the Porsche for last.

I wonder how and when they got the wrecker up. Great, very honest video, with lots of lessons for everybody.
Matt made a video the next day about the Bombi where he said they had the wrecker out.

Also if you watch the entire "kicks butt" video you'll see Jeffe airing down the Bronco.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalvinT

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm gonna say this since no one else has. The Bronco was the most capable vehicle.

Matt was super professional but his vehicles were overmatched without a sand capable wrecker and he started the day over confident.

Can we get specs on that Wildtrak build?
Specs on the Wildtrack build on this video.