First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm curious, how is everyone bringing clean water with them? I'm between a few options, but they all have drawbacks. I'd love to hear how you manage water on the trails!

Background: I am planning a camping trip with my significant other and our four dogs. We are going up for three days, two nights. I estimate that my significant other and myself will need a gallon each per day, plus one gallon per day for the dogs based on how much they drink during a regular day of hiking. I'm looking for an exterior mount for 10 gallons of water, as space will be limited between us and the dogs.

My significant other and I can pack light, but we need to keep the back seat clear for dogs (we can use the back seat floor for storage), pack a large tent, 4 crates for the dogs, food, water, and hiking/climbing gear.

The options:

Rotopax.
https://rotopax.com/collections/containers/products/2-gallon-gen2water
This would be perfect if they had water containers over 2 gallons. I would get the EZ Tire kit from them and a few water cans to get me to the 10 gallons. The problem is that I don't know how strong the EZ tire kit would be with 4 containers on it. I would probably store one container inside the vehicle because they would already stick off the tire pretty far with two per side.

Rockworkx
https://www.rockworkx.com/products/10-gallon-water-bag-system?variant=40712066498756
A single 10 gallon soft bladder that straps over the tire. This option seams great except that it covers the rear camera. If possible, I'd like to keep the camera clear, but it's not a requirement for me.

Two 5-gallon water jugs
This is by far the cheapest, but it would take up a TON of room inside the bronco.

Hitch Rack
https://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Foldi...fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1
I don't currently have a hitch installed, but one option I thought about was installing a hitch and purchasing a rack for extra carrying capacity. So far this is what I'm leaning towards as it's the most versatile option. The downside is that it would reduce my departure angle significantly and I'm not familiar with the trail we will be using to get to our campsite.
Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Carrying Clean Water? Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 10.30.43

These 7 gallon aqua-tainers have always worked really well for me. I usually ratchet strap them down to the lasso loops in the cargo area & they stay put even on the roughest trails.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

malt_liqueur

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Carrying Clean Water? Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 10.30.43

These 7 gallon aqua-tainers have always worked really well for me. I usually ratchet strap them down to the lasso loops in the cargo area & they stay put even on the roughest trails.
I use the same container in a 5 gallon size.

Rockworkx
https://www.rockworkx.com/products/10-gallon-water-bag-system?variant=40712066498756
A single 10 gallon soft bladder that straps over the tire. This option seams great except that it covers the rear camera. If possible, I'd like to keep the camera clear, but it's not a requirement for me.
I'd hesitate to add this much weight to the tailgate.

Based on the direction of your decisions, I'm guessing you have a soft top? For a hard top, I'm thinking of adding these to my JCR rack for water.
Ford Bronco Carrying Clean Water? JSAP_1_1024x682

It would be great to find something that's somehow integrated into the underbelly for a low center of gravity.

Sponsored

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Carrying Clean Water? InkedIMG_5999

Ford Bronco Carrying Clean Water? IMG_5998.JPEG

Ford Bronco Carrying Clean Water? IMG_5997.JPEG

When tailgating, I turn the Scepter can around so the spout faces the inside of the tailgate and i put one of those 5 gallon water jug pumps on top. Then I have water right there while I'm cooking on the fold down table on the inside of the gate.

The gas is right there to connect to my Blackstone griddle. Works really well.

I see you need 10 gallons.
These are 5 gallons each. So just put one on the other side rather than the propane I have.

OP
OP

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
thats like an extra 85 pounds hanging off your spare when full.
Yep, but I have a tailgate reinforcement and I haven't done oversized tires. Based on the 133lbs without the reinforcement, I'm comfortable that I'd be within a safe limit. My spare is about 80lbs (I think 82 or 83 when I weighed it) and the water would put me at about 165lbs on the tailgate. I also would remove the water when I get to the campsite before opening the tailgate, so it wouldn't be unsupported weight on the hinges.

I use the same container in a 5 gallon size.

I'd hesitate to add this much weight to the tailgate.

Based on the direction of your decisions, I'm guessing you have a soft top? For a hard top, I'm thinking of adding these to my JCR rack for water.

It would be great to find something that's somehow integrated into the underbelly for a low center of gravity.
I do have a soft top. I've looked at getting an exoskeleton like the Gobi Rack, but I can't justify the cost of them.

One new potential option is this flat container, I'll have to measure and see if it'll fit flat in the trunk later today, but it seems like it's just about the perfect size to lay down in the trunk or stand up against the tailgate!
https://ironman4x4america.com/40l-vertical-water-tank-10-6-gal/

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When tailgating, I turn the Scepter can around so the spout faces the inside of the tailgate and i put one of those 5 gallon water jug pumps on top. Then I have water right there while I'm cooking on the fold down table on the inside of the gate.

The gas is right there to connect to my Blackstone griddle. Works really well.

I see you need 10 gallons.
These are 5 gallons each. So just put one on the other side rather than the propane I have.
Not without some sort of tailgate support, that's a ton of weight!

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You can try something like this for the inside as a cheap alternative ($25) until you sort it out. This is what I have and I just leave it in the back all the time..

JQWYGB Camping Water Container -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XKDYVYJ

The originals and more expensive version is the water bricks.

Note, test before you go. i found mine had a slow drip that turned out to be a plastic bur around the valve. A little bit of sandpaper and it's been in the back of my Bronco for months without loosing a drop.

Sponsored

MJ12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Charger 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm curious, how is everyone bringing clean water with them? I'm between a few options, but they all have drawbacks. I'd love to hear how you manage water on the trails!

Background: I am planning a camping trip with my significant other and our four dogs. We are going up for three days, two nights. I estimate that my significant other and myself will need a gallon each per day, plus one gallon per day for the dogs based on how much they drink during a regular day of hiking. I'm looking for an exterior mount for 10 gallons of water, as space will be limited between us and the dogs.

My significant other and I can pack light, but we need to keep the back seat clear for dogs (we can use the back seat floor for storage), pack a large tent, 4 crates for the dogs, food, water, and hiking/climbing gear.

The options:

Rotopax.
https://rotopax.com/collections/containers/products/2-gallon-gen2water
This would be perfect if they had water containers over 2 gallons. I would get the EZ Tire kit from them and a few water cans to get me to the 10 gallons. The problem is that I don't know how strong the EZ tire kit would be with 4 containers on it. I would probably store one container inside the vehicle because they would already stick off the tire pretty far with two per side.

Rockworkx

Two 5-gallon water jugs
This is by far the cheapest, but it would take up a TON of room inside the bronco.

Hitch Rack
https://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Foldi...fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1
I don't currently have a hitch installed, but one option I thought about was installing a hitch and purchasing a rack for extra carrying capacity. So far this is what I'm leaning towards as it's the most versatile option. The downside is that it would reduce my departure angle significantly and I'm not familiar with the trail we will be using to get to our campsite.
Have you thought about the lifesaver can? It could work for you if you would have access to any body of water. It has mil spec water filtration. https://www.amazon.com/LIFESAVER-Ex...ocphy=1013462&hvtargid=pla-350790515458&psc=1

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I went to Moab last year I just bought a case of 500ml water bottles and tossed that in the back. The nice part about that was that we could give them away to the bicycle riders who had run out of water and still had several miles to go of riding into a headwind.

I like to keep things simple, and that was about as simple as you can get.
Sponsored