Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hi all,
I have searched all over for any mention of catch cans in this forums, but have yet to see anything about running one in winter, particularly in colder states where overnight freezes and daytime thaws are extremely common. I was doing some research online on this, and saw someone on the ranger or mustang forums that they had a massive issue with condensation during the winter in the catch can, and it really screwed some stuff up. Of course now that I would like to link it, I cannot find it. If my memory serves me correct, he forgot to empty it after less than a week before it happened. So, I am wondering the general experience with those of you who run catch cans in the winter. Do they have to be emptied every day? How often do you check them? Is it even worth it? Asking this because I am getting the 2.3, but would love to keep it for 15+ plus at least.
Sponsored

rcengr

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I live in southwest Ohio, so a little milder than Michigan. I've a had a catch can on my 2.3L Mustang for two years and never noticed any issues in the winter.

I just emptied my catch can after about 9500 miles and I got 1.5 oz by weight. So it is an empty every oil change, rather than daily or weekly. Now I don't thrash on my car, just some spirited runs down the on ramp every once in a while. My car is also stock. So your driving habits and engine modifications will probably make a difference in how often you empty the can.

The liquid that comes out of the can looks like oil, smells like oil, but has the viscosity of water. I'm assuming that water makes up the majority of volume, but that's just a guess. I'm going to throw some of it in the freezer and see if it will freeze. I'll provide an update when I check it.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I live in southwest Ohio, so a little milder than Michigan. I've a had a catch can on my 2.3L Mustang for two years and never noticed any issues in the winter.

I just emptied my catch can after about 9500 miles and I got 1.5 oz by weight. So it is an empty every oil change, rather than daily or weekly. Now I don't thrash on my car, just some spirited runs down the on ramp every once in a while. My car is also stock. So your driving habits and engine modifications will probably make a difference in how often you empty the can.

The liquid that comes out of the can looks like oil, smells like oil, but has the viscosity of water. I'm assuming that water makes up the majority of volume, but that's just a guess. I'm going to throw some of it in the freezer and see if it will freeze. I'll provide an update when I check it.
Thanks! That's really reassuring as mine will be stock as well.looking forward to hearing an update with the freezer, as if I don't drive for a few days that would be the best equivalent.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm going to throw some of it in the freezer and see if it will freeze. I'll provide an update when I check it.
thats a genius idea. would have never thought to do that. hopefully i remember to whenever i get a bronco.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Have you also monitored oil levels in the motor? The very few people who have had fuel dilutions issues in their oil reported noticeable oil rise on the dipstick from "full". This has been the smoking gun for the ~15 rangers (out of over 20,000 forum members) who end up needing the high pressure fuel pump replaced.

Comically, it's those ~15 members experience which constitutes the vast portion of anti-2.3 arguments here on Bronco forums.

Sponsored

rcengr

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I haven't seen any rise in the oil level on my car. I've sent an oil sample off to be analysed, so I'll know for sure if there is any fuel in the oil.

A quick update, the oil from the catch can has been in the freezer for 3 hours and is still liquid. I'll leave it overnight just to be sure.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is a catch can supposed to help with DI/PI issues?

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I haven't seen any rise in the oil level on my car. I've sent an oil sample off to be analysed, so I'll know for sure if there is any fuel in the oil.

A quick update, the oil from the catch can has been in the freezer for 3 hours and is still liquid. I'll leave it overnight just to be sure.
Thanks for the update! Depending on how this goes I may be installing one shortly after receiving the bronco.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the update! Depending on how this goes I may be installing one shortly after receiving the bronco.
I think at minimum still install the can, use it in the warm months remove it in the cold months.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

i think just Direct Injection. All i know is that are a lot of different opinions on here, most of them very strong, but if it doesnt hurt (based on how @rcnger) test goes, im gonna put one in. Wanna keep my bronco for a looooong time. On the flip side, I would have no problem paying about 1000 dollars for walnut blasting every 50k or so miles, but a catch can could increase that interval dramtically from what I have seen from other forum members.

Sponsored

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in NY, and used a catch can on my hemi motor throughout the year. It was mounted off the engine block so it may have been kept a little warm but it has slushed up during winter months. Never totally frozen though. I just checked it monthly and cleaned it out

rcengr

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After 14 hours at -4 degrees F, the sample is still liquid. So I wouldn't worry about the catch can freezing unless you are worried about your oil freezing.

Evidently, the stuff in the can isn't a combination of oil and water. My new theory is that is probably just the shorter hydrocarbons that are more volatile than those in the bulk of the oil. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in my engine. Any full synthetic should have less variation in the length of the hydrocarbon chains than a regular oil, so that is probably another reason I don't have to empty it very often.

While the value of a catch can will continue to be debated, I'm glad that I installed one on my engine.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On the flip side there was just member who posted his DI EB engine has 250000 miles on it with no issues.... Just remember if you install that catch can there can be a time where something goes wrong that Ford blames that catch can for denying warranty work. If you go on any Ecoboost forum there are a lot of high mileage ecoboost direct injection engines that never had walnut blasting or catch can and are still working perfect.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have catch cans on my 5.0L Mustang and 2.3L Ranger. The Ranger is too new to know what happens in the winter, but never had issues with the Mustang (Minnesota winters). It does fill up a little faster in cold months but nothing earth shattering. I empty it every month instead of every oil change in the winter.

BTW the 2.3L catch can is a major pain to install on the Ranger. Give yourself a good afternoon, assuming the Bronco is at all similar.

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The catch can is supposed to help with carbon build up on DI engines. Because the 2.7 is Di/Pi you shouldn't need a catch can because the Pi should clean the carbon off.. However,I haven't found anything that says it will hurt the engine if added.

On the flip side there was just member who posted his DI EB engine has 250000 miles on it with no issues.... Just remember if you install that catch can there can be a time where something goes wrong that Ford blames that catch can for denying warranty work. If you go on any Ecoboost forum there are a lot of high mileage ecoboost direct injection engines that never had walnut blasting or catch can and are still working perfect.
I'm not sure if this is true due to not owning a Ford vehicle, but I heard that Ford recommends adding a catch can to their Di engines, and it states this in the owners manual. If this is true then I wouldn't think they would void a warranty, especially if you buy a plug n play version made for your specific engine?
Sponsored