First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Reading here and there about catch cans. Seems someone always says they are not needed on the 2.7.

If I get one is it just a waste of my money or is there any possibility that a catch can does harm to the motor?
Sponsored

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I personally don’t think they are needed on either engine. My take on the catch can hype is that it is a bunch of internet hooey.

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Reading here and there about catch cans. Seems someone always says they are not needed on the 2.7.

If I get one is it just a waste of my money or is there any possibility that a catch can does harm to the motor?
I believe the 2.7 has both port injection and GDI (gas direct injection) eliminating the purpose for a catch can which is to catch the crap in the PCV system. The port injection system injects fuel over the intake valves effectively cleaning them as it does so carbon buildup isn’t a problem.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although a minor risk, if the catch can is overfilled, it can potentially backfill into the exhaust and damage the turbos. Very little up side to a catch can on a dual injection set up, as the primary issues is lack of fuel going over the valves to "wash" the carbon off the valves is eliminated. I do think a DI motor can benefit from a catch can. Ford and others wouldn't bother to add the complexity of dual injection if the DI set up did not have some challenges. I think this is somewhat enhanced in cold climates too. The DI motors seem to be sensitive and hard to tune at cold start and this leads to a lot of un-burned fuel and subsequent dilution of the oil as well. The catch can probably reduces the amount of oil and fuel passed back over the valves. A power train engineer that worked on the 2.7 explained it to me and it made sense. although the technical side is above my head at a pretty basic level :cry:

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you for helping me understand this better!
Sounds like I will save my money and spend it on other things that successfully advertise to me!
Like racing strips.

Sponsored

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Another catch can issue is if you live in a cold climate water vapor could freeze and interrupt the system causing a possible overpressure problem.

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks.....I don't mind throwing $200 at a problem solver but would truly dislike buying trouble.

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've seen benefits on German cars with pure direct injection engines, where carbon builds up on the valves because there is no gasoline sprayed upstream acting as a solvent. These Ford engines have a design that does both direct injection and port injection - therefore catch cans should be unnecessary

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've seen benefits on German cars with pure direct injection engines, where carbon builds up on the valves because there is no gasoline sprayed upstream acting as a solvent. These Ford engines have a design that does both direct injection and port injection - therefore catch cans should be unnecessary
Sponsored