R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only thing I could think of is the breather cap is allowing the crankcase to breath so well that the catch can doesn't have enough oil to pick up.
The breather cap is crippling the crankcase emissions system and venting fumes to atmosphere, so there is no pressure or flow through the catch can. If you remove the breather, the engine will work properly and you should see some oil in the can. Removing the breather will also prevent an oily mess in your engine bay.

OP
OP
Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The breather cap is crippling the crankcase emissions system and venting fumes to atmosphere, so there is no pressure or flow through the catch can. If you remove the breather, the engine will work properly and you should see some oil in the can. Removing the breather will also prevent an oily mess in your engine bay.
Currently at close to 9k miles within the past 1,000 I've noticed the catch can has finally started to collect oil. I assume the engine produces more crank case pressure now for whatever reason. It has about half an inch of oil in it. I have cleaned the breather so that rules it out being clogged.

n3fvg

Black Diamond
First Name
PAS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Thunderbird; 1995 Ford Bronco E.B.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You've never owned a Dodge!
You are absolutely correct! 2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8 Super Bee.....catch can was always full! Had to empty it a few times between oil changes. Very normal for modern high performance Chrysler products!

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve had one on my 2.7 for 9k now. Think I’ve got about 3 teaspoons total out of it. 3 times I emptied it had about enough to just cover the bottom.

Swallace

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota ,Gmc and Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Installed on my 2.7. After 3000 miles I had about a 1/2 ounce so it is catching something

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7T certainly doesn't seem like much of an issue. The stock 3.6L N/A Pentastar engine in my jeep fills my catch can every oil change, and it has since it was new. Better in the waste oil container than sucked through the intake!

Last edited:

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So if I understood correctly, catch can prevents the blow by that sticks on the intake valves.

In 2.7, it has dual injections. The port injectors spray gasoline that clean the intake valves constantly, so there is really no need for catch can for this engine.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is just false information ....Direct injection IS the reason catch can became popular...do some research before you post such hogwash.

Putting a can on a port injection engine is about as dumb as putting a innercooler on an old normally aspirated holley carbed V-8....makes no sense and there's NO logic behind the purchase.

Just people buying shit they don't need because it is ”available ” so funny.
The logic is that whatever oil does get in the intake, regardless of where the injectors are, will affect combustion (and alter fuel/air charge). I don't run my catch can to keep my valves or intake clean...because yes the 2.7 does a decent job at that. It does not, however, prevent any unwanted oil from impacting octane. This:
https://prototype-r.com/archives/468

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The logic is that whatever oil does get in the intake, regardless of where the injectors are, will affect combustion (and alter fuel/air charge). I don't run my catch can to keep my valves or intake clean...because yes the 2.7 does a decent job at that. It does not, however, prevent any unwanted oil from impacting octane. This:
https://prototype-r.com/archives/468
the way I understand it is that the oil gets into the intake tract during high vacuum scenarios ONLY....so it's not likely to pull oil into the intake during high boost situations..(especially on a 2.7 with auto, we dont lift the throttle each shift creating vacume)..which is when the detonation your referring to might occur. So this just another advertising scheme to sell you a catch can....neat cute story tho.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the way I understand it is that the oil gets into the intake tract during high vacuum scenarios ONLY....so it's not likely to pull oil into the intake during high boost situations..(especially on a 2.7 with auto, we dont lift the throttle each shift creating vacume)..which is when the detonation your referring to might occur. So this just another advertising scheme to sell you a catch can....neat cute story tho.
That is a neat story....but for those of us who have catch cans with a 2.7 who have definitely gotten a pretty significant amount of oil out of the catch can the moral of the story is that oil would have absolutely gone into the combustion chamber. If you don't choose to add a catch can that's fantastic. Whether the oil in our catch cans made its way there under high boost or low boost or no boost it was on its way into the combustion chamber. No boost has to be present for oil to get past rings. Folks who are claiming that no catch cans are needed because the way our engines are injected keeps the valves clean by washing off that oil are still admitting that oil is present.

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@broncorik so you are saying it can’t hurt to have a catch can. Suppose I should have just gotten one instead of figuring the verdict was not needed a while back. Got 20k miles so I’ll have to add one just to be on the safe side.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@broncorik so you are saying it can’t hurt to have a catch can. Suppose I should have just gotten one instead of figuring the verdict was not needed a while back. Got 20k miles so I’ll have to add one just to be on the safe side.
IMHO as a mechanic who has witnessed what oil can do when it goes to places it shouldn't I believe catch cans are an effective way to capture excess oil vapors and keep them from negatively impacting octane/reducing combustion efficiency. With the design of our fuel injection system, I'm not as concerned about build up occurring on the valves, but anything I can do to maintain peak combustion makes sense to me. After reading that some of the folks who have 2023 Broncos indicated that they got check engine lights while running the Mishimoto dual can setup, I believe that there needs to be more research done before I'd put the catch can on a 2023 model. The thought is that Ford must have trimmed/narrowed the ECM parameters on the 2023s so that subtle changes in what is going on in the CCV system are being picked up and then throwing a check engine light. So far to my knowledge no one with a 21 or a 22 model running the Mishimoto catch cans have indicated that they have experienced check engine lights. Other than the check engine light on the 2023s, I can't fathom how having a catch can would be a negative...unless someone wants to argue that the negative is spending money that could be better spent elsewhere (in their opinion). If you add one and you're able to get any oil out of it, it is working.
Sponsored