First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Alright guys so I installed a UPR catch can and oil breather cap on my 2.7 bronco day 1 with 40 miles. I have 1,600 miles on it so far with some hard use, first oil change performed at 1,000. At no point has the catch can picked up anything. There is a slight oil film inside but nothing more. Catch can is definitely installed correctly. Anyone else have this "issue" or know what could be the cause? The only thing I could think of is the breather cap is allowing the crankcase to breath so well that the catch can doest have enough oil to pick up. There is often oil coated around the cap. Any help is appreciated.
20211224_174207.jpg
Evreything I've read about catch cans for the Bronco is that they are useful for the 2.3L engine, but not needed on the 2.7L engine.
Sponsored

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is little deposit because on inline Ford motors they actually include an oil separator on the side of the crankcase.

It’s not much more than a glorified sponge but it helps baffle and collect a majority of atomized oil/fuel before it makes its way to the intake. It’s not the greatest though and you can definitely get use out of a catch can but in mild normal driving a single valve can will usually not pick up too much.

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if the tubes for the UPR catch can are too long for the aerosols to collect into the catch can itself before settling in the tubes. I'm not an expert, but those tubes seem unnecessarily long and could actually limit the efficacy of the catch can itself.

I just installed my Mishimoto one on my ride this morning. Their catch can is installed on the firewall so it's much closer to the ports than UPR's. I'm wondering if Mishimoto's will collect more (opinions on the necessity of catch cans aside).

Just my $0.02.

NathanW

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Range Rover SVR,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The need for a catch can has nothing to do with fueling strategy.
Agreed. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

That being said, I've never used one on a car and never will. I do use one on both of my built HD's.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Based upon the input of 1 owner? Brilliant!
Nope based on the brilliant realization others have made that port injection cleans the intake tract, valves, turbos ect...and that catch cans are ONLY really needed on DI engines. Good information all over the web if you wanna look. On DI engines the can does help collect crud. Completely unnecessary and ”oversold” for the 2.7.

As of 2018 Ford updated the 2.7 to include both port and direct injection. You do not need a catch can for anything newer than 2018.

5 min on the f150 forums might change your mind about waisted money on this part for a 2.7. And fuel injector location has everything to do with this.

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Agreed. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

That being said, I've never used one on a car and never will. I do use one on both of my built HD's.
This is just false information ....Direct injection IS the reason catch can became popular...do some research before you post such hogwash.

Putting a can on a port injection engine is about as dumb as putting a innercooler on an old normally aspirated holley carbed V-8....makes no sense and there's NO logic behind the purchase.

Just people buying shit they don't need because it is ”available ” so funny.

NathanW

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is just false information ....Direct injection IS the reason catch can became popular...do some research before you post such hogwash.

Putting a can on a port injection engine is about as dumb as putting a innercooler on an old normally aspirated holley carbed V-8....makes no sense and there's NO logic behind the purchase.

Just people buying shit they don't need because it is ”available ” so funny.
I'm not advocating for anyone to purchase one of these. As I already said, I don't use them on any car.
My HD's don't have direct injection, yet still benefit from their use. Catch cans are used to separate oil vapor caused by blow-by from being recirculated back in to the combustion chamber. Blow-by is part of internal combustion engines. I'm sorry, but the nature of fuel delivery does not impact blow-by in any way. Catch cans have been around for a VERY long time, long before direct injection. Catch cans became "popular" when the EPA mandated that the crank case be vented back in to the intake tract.

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, I running 32s and have a 5in lift. Why do I have so much wheel well space?

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I installed the same catch can at around 500 miles. I now have almost 2500 miles on the engine and the catch can has a slightest coating of oil mist inside. I too thought it was installed wrong but UPR verified. Guess these 2.7s just run clean.

Alright guys so I installed a UPR catch can and oil breather cap on my 2.7 bronco day 1 with 40 miles. I have 1,600 miles on it so far with some hard use, first oil change performed at 1,000. At no point has the catch can picked up anything. There is a slight oil film inside but nothing more. Catch can is definitely installed correctly. Anyone else have this "issue" or know what could be the cause? The only thing I could think of is the breather cap is allowing the crankcase to breath so well that the catch can doest have enough oil to pick up. There is often oil coated around the cap. Any help is appreciated.
20211224_174207.jpg

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm not advocating for anyone to purchase one of these. As I already said, I don't use them on any car.
My HD's don't have direct injection, yet still benefit from their use. Catch cans are used to separate oil vapor caused by blow-by from being recirculated back in to the combustion chamber. Blow-by is part of internal combustion engines. I'm sorry, but the nature of fuel delivery does not impact blow-by in any way. Catch cans have been around for a VERY long time, long before direct injection. Catch cans became "popular" when the EPA mandated that the crank case be vented back in to the intake tract.
Where do you think the oil mist from the crankcase is sent? It goes back into the intake tract, coating every thing in its path with CARBON deposits....the exact deposits that port injection cleans off your valves, ports, ect...

Read up some more and you'll see that after a 100,000 mile the intake tract on a DI engine... the valves can have SOOOOO much carbon and crud that the intake valves only flow 50% of the normal air...

So fuel injection placement is critical and totally affects the need for a catch can on the 2.7....thats why they ARE needed on the earlier DI-only 2.7s...again you can read all this yourself from hundreds of others, not just my opinion, I'm just a humble messenger.

NathanW

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know exactly where the oil mist is sent. 🤦‍♂️

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not enjoying my placebo, goddammits!

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed the same catch can at around 500 miles. I now have almost 2500 miles on the engine and the catch can has a slightest coating of oil mist inside. I too thought it was installed wrong but UPR verified. Guess these 2.7s just run clean.
Because they have PFI, along with DI. As the former owner of a '13 F150 with 3.5, DI by itself makes for a nasty intake environment and a catch can is almost required.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those that say you don't
Ford Bronco Nothing in catch can? Catch Can contents
need a catch can. Check this :poop:. This is after 9,800 miles. That is not inside my intake and all the better.
Sponsored