First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Opinions on installing a catch can? I've seen a few posts where it's very 50/50. Is it really needed for the 2.7 or should I save my money?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eh, depends.

If you are the type of person who only keeps their vehicles for ~80,000 miles or so before switching to a new vehicle, then no… I don’t think it is required at all.

For those who intend of driving these things well past 150,000 miles it’s a bit different:
  • For the 2.3L it’s basically required in my opinion unless you are comfortable taking apart your intake and cleaning it every 50,000 miles or so (or paying someone else to do it).
  • For the 2.7L it is not required. The 2.7L has a dual injection setup. BUT, it certainly won’t hurt anything and installing a catch can will help keep your intake clean.
Worth noting that if you install a catch can and you later have issues with the PCV system, then your warranty claim to get that system fixed may be denied since it is no longer stock.

It also depends on what state you’re in. Most of these aftermarket catch cans are not CARB compliant, so if you live in California (or another state which does inspections and follows the CA emissions standards) you’ll have to remove the catch can every time you go to get your vehicle inspected. If you don’t, you risk failing that inspection.

Not a huge deal if you intend on installing the catch can yourself. But if you are paying a shop to do it obviously your inspections just got a lot more pricey.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

not needed for today's modern engines.

talked about in depth in the mustang/f150/ecoboost forums for both the 2.3/7.

more risk than reward. use the money on something more impactful.

edit:

i would add you can get an extended ford warranty from granger for $50 over cost. starting at 900-1200 it covers the full vehicle for 10y/100k depending on deductible of 0-100 dollars.

this may be worth it to you, maybe not. personally, i will see where i sit before my factory warranty expires and make a decision on if i am keeping it long term. you pay a little more after the first year but for me makes more sense.

i also worry about issues, draining it, winter, and potential warranty issues (although you can remove before servicing). there are plenty of 2.3 and 2.7s well over 100k with no issues. i also do regular service intervals/oil so there's that.

Last edited:

jimwalston

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition 2017 STI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The JL looks to be easiest to install. I just received mine.

I have one on my Expedition from them.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3 possibly, 2.7, not really. The issue is no fuel charge going past the valves to “clean” the carbon from the valves. Dual injection on the 2.7 resolves this. 2.4 if DI only and that has been know to add carbon buildup because of the lack of fresh fuel over the valves. Ford has a new DI specification for their oil that should relieve some of the issue, I would at least make sure the oil you use meets the latest DI specs.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the Mishimoto on my 2.7. Yes, because of the configuration of our engines a catch can is not required, but even with relatively few miles so far mine has caught enough oil to make it worthwhile. It requires no modifications whatsoever because it bolts right to the firewall in locations where there are already studs, and it comes with hoses that clip onto your factory fittings (and can be easily removed if you have to put yours back on for emissions). Even though the way our engines are injected it does dilute oil that makes it into the intake, that is still a diluted mixture with oil in it...and that can affect octane rating and combustion. Any oil that I can drain from a catch can instead of having it go through the system makes it worthwhile for me. The only negative is that on one side of the system when you remove the factory hose you have to break the little plastic retainer because it was meant to not come off. I ended up just buying a replacement one from Ford in case I have to put it back to stock. It arrived quickly and cost about 20 bucks.

lilthom

Badlands
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Badlands 2017 Superduty 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed the Mishimoto on my 2.7. Yes, because of the configuration of our engines a catch can is not required, but even with relatively few miles so far mine has caught enough oil to make it worthwhile. It requires no modifications whatsoever because it bolts right to the firewall in locations where there are already studs, and it comes with hoses that clip onto your factory fittings (and can be easily removed if you have to put yours back on for emissions). Even though the way our engines are injected it does dilute oil that makes it into the intake, that is still a diluted mixture with oil in it...and that can affect octane rating and combustion. Any oil that I can drain from a catch can instead of having it go through the system makes it worthwhile for me. The only negative is that on one side of the system when you remove the factory hose you have to break the little plastic retainer because it was meant to not come off. I ended up just buying a replacement one from Ford in case I have to put it back to stock. It arrived quickly and cost about 20 bucks.
Which brand did you go with?

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Opinions on installing a catch can? I've seen a few posts where it's very 50/50. Is it really needed for the 2.7 or should I save my money?
I'm just going to do it for my 2.7l once it comes. Going to keep it forever so might as well protect it.

jatt143

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRaptor, C63s, Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I installed J&L on mine, and on 5k mile oil change found about 2 tablespoons of oil in the catch can :-/

2022 SaS 2.7

Sponsored

lethaljake

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mandatory? I wouldn't say so, however I would never run without one. I have one on my 2022 F-150 5.0L and from a maintenance standpoint, wouldn't be without it. Just such a minimal cost to save you potential headaches in the future, performance etc.. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right now I’m gonna say its not needed on the 2.7. But I have not put winter gas in it yet. That may be the deciding factor. Will see what it produces over the winter.
Sponsored