First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would change my own oil, if it was worth my time and trouble. But the Ford dealers here like to run loss leaders where an oil change with filter, tire rotation and multi-point inspection is $33. Considering how much a pain tire rotation is DIY, this is a no-brainer.

So, I say, skip the oil change and learn how to replace the air filter, cabin air filter, and swap out brake pads. That's easy work that will save you significant money and probably all the work that will be needed for the first 100K miles.
I should have mentioned that it's certainly worth learning how to change the oil, even if you don't actually do it. And, to be fair, it's $100 for three services, so the first one is expensive and the next two are free. :)
Sponsored

351HO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150, 92 Ranger, 85 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

http://fumotousa.com/

On your first oil change install one of these. Rotate the tires while it drains.
I did this on my Raptor because of the skid plates, you just attach the hose and flip the switch and let it drain while rotating the tires. The Bronco will sit high enough that oil changes will be easy.

I'm interested in this. I have removed several cheaper versions of these on various vehicles because they failed by seizing up or leaking, but they were low quality junk.

My zero turn mower has a valve with a barb to attach a hose and I love how easy it makes oil changes.

These are made in Japan (they generally make excellent products and take great pride in their quality of work) and seem to be industrial quality for all types of equipment, not just "as seen on TV consumer grade oil change" quality.

I'm guessing you have had zero issues with yours?

It seems to have a solid spring loaded safety to keep it from opening, but part of me is still paranoid a piece of trail debris could somehow open it up and drain your oil out. I know the Bronco has substantial protection underneath but I can't help but be paranoid. I've seen sticks and other things do crazy damage to vehicles.

Maybe some safety wire to hold it in the closed position just for peace of mind?

eatworksleepdie

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Renegade, 20' Wrangler, 92' VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lately I found it cheaper to just pay the dealership to change my oil for me. I can't even buy oil and the filter for what they charge for parts and labor. Dealerships sell oil change packages to get you back in the door to get you on all the extra things they find in their 26 point inspection.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is this too
Ford Bronco Changing your own oil? Screenshot_20210301-112048_Chrome

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dealer has a thing if you buy a new car there every other oil change is free and if you follow that everything lubricated by oil has a lifetime warranty.

Couple that with a turbocharged engine full of magic voo-doo and after 20+ years of changing my own oil/rotating my own tires that is how you get me to pay someone else to change my oil.

Sponsored

nd2002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Change it once and it put on a fumoto valve. It will make it a lot cleaner after that.
http://fumotousa.com/

On your first oil change install one of these. Rotate the tires while it drains.
I did this on my Raptor because of the skid plates, you just attach the hose and flip the switch and let it drain while rotating the tires. The Bronco will sit high enough that oil changes will be easy.
Another vote for the fumoto valve. Really speeds things up when you don't have to clean up.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If having oil changed, even by dealer, consider making a mark on your oil filter. And check the level afterward.

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For my current cars having it done at the dealer is around $100. Getting the supplies to do it myself with shipping only saves me ~$25. For that it’s not worth the headache.
Yea but the horror stories from idiots at dealers is terrifying. Not to mention cheap oil from dealer. I can save $30 and be done in a half hr doing it myself with MUCH better oil/ filter than a dealer. Plus your time is longer sitting at a dealer.
This way, I know it’s fine right, less time and with quality.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yea but the horror stories from idiots at dealers is terrifying. Not to mention cheap oil from dealer. I can save $30 and be done in a half hr doing it myself with MUCH better oil/ filter than a dealer. Plus your time is longer sitting at a dealer.
This way, I know it’s fine right, less time and with quality.
Varies dealer by dealer. Mine, for example, picks my cars up at the house on a flatbed, takes them to the shop for service, and is also an authorized installer for all my aftermarket work. I am a huge fan of single throat to choke. No matter what's wrong with the car, they did it.

I have no idea what to expect from Ford service departments, assume NOT my current setup. Will have to see once the Bronco arrives.

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Multi point inspection" has always sounded like "this is our chance to tell you that you are nearing catastrophic horn fluid failure."

I have trust issues....

Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Varies dealer by dealer. Mine, for example, picks my cars up at the house on a flatbed, takes them to the shop for service, and is also an authorized installer for all my aftermarket work. I am a huge fan of single throat to choke. No matter what's wrong with the car, they did it.

I have no idea what to expect from Ford service departments, assume NOT my current setup. Will have to see once the Bronco arrives.
Curious what company comes pick up your vehicles on flatbed? Can’t be one of the he big 3....

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Curious what company comes pick up your vehicles on flatbed? Can’t be one of the he big 3....
Nope. My BMW dealer. I take 5 cars to them on a regular basis, all of which are modified by that dealer. They also know I am very OCD. They have always done this for me but most dealers I know have started offering similar service since COVID. All the EU brands in my area at least, no idea on domestics.

During warranty I'll just suffer through whatever the Ford dealer does for service, after that will figure it out. Not a today problem.

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope. My BMW dealer. I take 5 cars to them on a regular basis, all of which are modified by that dealer. They also know I am very OCD. They have always done this for me but most dealers I know have started offering similar service since COVID. All the EU brands in my area at least, no idea on domestics.

During warranty I'll just suffer through whatever the Ford dealer does for service, after that will figure it out. Not a today problem.
Exactly my point. You’re not getting that kind of treatment with Ford. EVER! Your going apples to oranges here. You think that grease monkey at a Ford dealer gives a crap about who you are?

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Exactly my point. You’re not getting that kind of treatment with Ford. EVER! Your going apples to oranges here. You think that grease monkey at a Ford dealer gives a crap about who you are?
Reread my first post... I stated that up front if you take the time to read.

That said given my current situation, your points about changing my own oil are completely irrelevant - which is all I was pointing out in the first place.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
He better, he is my little brother (aka shop foreman at local dealer)
Sponsored