Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Boss 302 Mustang, M/T Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had my oil changed in my 2.7 at the dealership as I normally do with my vehicles.

I got home and checked and it had at least 1 quart too much oil in it. Drained out exactly one quart, started up and ran it it went to the max level hole. Doesn't sound like the person performing the job let the oil drain for 15 minutes as required. I won't be pulling out of the dealership next time until I check it.

If you don't change your own; I'd recommend checking the level before you leave the dealership! If you've gotten your oil changed at a dealership; you might want to check your level.
Sponsored

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Put it back in. The dipstick is wrong on the 2.7. Well documented issue.

It's a 7 quart motor with a 6 quart dipstick.
Is it that Ford used and is still using the wrong dipstick, or did only some produced 2.7 engines end with the wrong dipstick?

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You need to search this forum for this. Very well-documented issue. Put the oil back in!!

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is it that Ford used and is still using the wrong dipstick, or did only some produced 2.7 engines end with the wrong dipstick?
Well, someone with a new 2.7 could post the measurements of their stick. I'd be h happy to pull and measure my Nov '21 this evening and see if there's been a change. 7 qts had mine showing a solid half inch over the max fill.

I'd like to think once (if) Ford fixes it they'll put out a recall or TSB to replace the bad ones, but it won't surprise me if they don't.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, someone with a new 2.7 could post the measurements of their stick. I'd be h happy to pull and measure my Nov '21 this evening and see if there's been a change. 7 qts had mine showing a solid half inch over the max fill.

I'd like to think once (if) Ford fixes it they'll put out a recall or TSB to replace the bad ones, but it won't surprise me if they don't.
Mine was over full when new in November ... 2700 miles later still over full.... 7 qts... is the correct amount...

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know we're talking 2.7s here but I was surprised to learn my 2.3L took 6 quarts, and 6 quarts of 5w30 at that.

Haven't had a vehicle with anything but 0w20 in it since my 2010 Tacoma.

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Thanks. Now you got me going to out to check mine. Also, a Nov 2021 build.

Agree Ford needs to issue a TSB on this. The 3rd party oil change places are going to be puzzled when they pull computer spec info saying 7 qts, add that, and then read the dipstick as most places do after completing the oil change. 🤦‍♂️

EDIT: Checked mine and sure enough, I'm showing over the fill mark on the dipstick. Dipstick is part number FT4E-6750-BF, like others. I'm still on the factory oil fill.

Last edited:

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks. Now you got me going to out to check mine. Also, a Nov 2021 build.

Agree Ford needs to issue a TSB on this. The 3rd party oil change places are going to be puzzled when they pull computer spec info saying 7 qts, add that, and then read the dipstick as most places do after completing the oil change. 🤦‍♂️

EDIT: Checked mine and sure enough, I'm showing over the fill mark on the dipstick. Dipstick is part number FT4E-6750-BF, like others. I'm still on the factory oil fill.
I just changed my oil. Checked the original oil fill after sitting for a night and it was half way up the twist. Called my local Ford service department to ask about how much oil to put in. They said go by the manual, 7qts. I let the oil drain for two hours while I was doing other things. Added 7qts. Let it heat up to operating temp. Then let it sit for the night. When I checked it the next morning, it was back to half way up the twist like it was from the factory.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is why I had dealer perform first change and will have them perform all while under warranty.

I have not pulled the stick in my 2.7 even once just to look. Presume it correct from factory, presume it correct from dealer - if it fails due to excessive oil that is not our problem, if the engine fails due to being short a quart (even though correct on stick) then we might have a warranty issue

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This topic is the last of the mysteries that Ford has literally just ignored. They have made no effort to explain why they have designed a 7 qt engine, and continue to use a dip stick that measures wrong, all while continuing to print in the manual warnings that your oil level should not be over the max line.

I can see Ford hiding under a rock for things like their MIC debacle or their horrific QA and build issues, but you would think something like a dipstick reading vs Oil Capacity would not be such a big deal to explain...and yet crickets.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Always a dipstick measuring contest with you guys. Always.
Sponsored