First Name
Walde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Raptor 37
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Do you mind explaining how this test works and what it looks for? I know I have heard of it, but can't remember the specifics.

Thank you in advance!
Google this 👉Chalk test for tire pressure
They explain it better than I do. đź‘Ť
Sponsored

Drizz

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW X7, 2020 Porsche 911 CS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I brought a car home from a tire change once a few years back and 2 tires were set to around 40psi, one was high 40s and one was at 60! I kid you not. I’m lucky the tire didn’t blow out on the way home. Just glad I checked them upon returning home so I could immediately bring them all down to the factory spec, which I recall was in the mid or high 30s.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Bronco Raptor @35PSI,
What do you think?
I'm guessing you tried some other pressures as well? Was 35 the highest or lowest with good coverage across the tire. Thanks!

rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands SAS, 2017 Lexus RX350 F-Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine were at 44psi from the factory as well. I was under the impression this was to maximize the fuel efficiency rating to meet government standards. Felt like I was riding on a skateboard. Dropped to 33psi as soon as I got it home.

3People1Body

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150 and Taurus.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I haven't done the chalk test yet, but the dust test shows more middle than the outsides. When I got the 37x12.5x17C it felt over inflated at 39... I dropped to 35 and it feels better, but still a bit skate like in the wet.. I'll probably end up at 33. I'm still on factory wheels.

Sponsored

Obeh4ve

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This info does a good job of reinforcing the importance of temperature. The chalk is best used on tires at their warmed up temp. Over the life of the tire the wear adds up. You can also use a temp gauge. It's also a decent quick check for toe changes after a lift although an actual alignment is ideal

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 4.47.39 PM.png

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Obeh4ve

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I brought a car home from a tire change once a few years back and 2 tires were set to around 40psi, one was high 40s and one was at 60! I kid you not. I’m lucky the tire didn’t blow out on the way home. Just glad I checked them upon returning home so I could immediately bring them all down to the factory spec, which I recall was in the mid or high 30s.
I'm paranoid about this. I check the TP before I leave the parking lot. Then I check lugs with a quick tug to make sure they're tight. Followed by retorquing all nuts bolts when I get home. Past bad experiences with overzealous impact gun use means I avoid if possible letting them install my locking lugs. My current dealer insists they install them for liability reasons. I understand. So I check all 4 of them right in the parking lot.
Sponsored