Sponsored

Do you lower your tire pressure every time you drive in the sand?

jayson

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BlackDiamond SAS 4DR HT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4x4, yes but airing down no. Been on the sandy beaches of NC without airing down and no issues. I have the SAS w/ 35" tires.
Sponsored

Diller

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 F250, 2012 Fiesta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who grew up driving on Florida sugar sand, yes. Will you always need bagged tires, no, but it's better to have done it, and not need it, then find out to late that you should have.

Roostracing

Raptor
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford Bronco, 1964 F100, 1997 F250 powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I drove 25 plus miles one way in various sand types without airing down on baja mode. I hit some very soft areas but had no issues. If the sand is soft it would be beneficial to air down.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know it is a rule of thumb and, in some places, the law. Are enough features equipped in the Braptor that I am least likely to get stuck?
i do but not as low as bouldering and such because i drive faster

Sponsored

Big Pony

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent LTD '20
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes. Always. Not all sand is the same though. Hard-packed, wet sand will not get you stuck just cause you didn’t air down, unless you’re excessively heavy and get bogged down. Fluffy, dry sand will most definitely be a PITA if you lose momentum and are not on low PSI. That is a fact. Out here in the SoCal dunes, it is almost a rule of thumb to air down 15-10 PSI. I’ve seen people go as low as 5 though. Lowest I’ve been without concern in the Bronco and in Sand Mode has been 15 PSI. Gauge your sand environment and try it out. It’s all about trial and error, but generally speaking, you ALWAYS wanna air down in sand. Your vehicle load/passengers, etc. will be factors to consider. And for what it’s worth, I’m using a stock HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak as my experience platform. YMMV.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As someone who grew up driving on Florida sugar sand, yes. Will you always need bagged tires, no, but it's better to have done it, and not need it, then find out to late that you should have.
Agree 100%

It takes less than 5 minutes to air down your tires with a deflator. Always worth it.
Sponsored