Sponsored

Do you lower your tire pressure every time you drive in the sand?

Cheezus

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I know it is a rule of thumb and, in some places, the law. Are enough features equipped in the Braptor that I am least likely to get stuck?
Sponsored

Happycampinman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t think it has much do with features, it’s all about the footprint of the tire. Give it a try and if you get stuck then you know to air down. The only time we really spent time on the sand at Silver Lake I aired down to 15psi and had a blast. Airing down let’s you take advantage of your features.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sas Badlands, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have a Braptor but we always used 20 psi in our F150 Raptors and I use the same in my Sasquatch Bronco. Sand mode in our Broncos are pretty darn fun and easy!

Sponsored

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I answered you question. OK, I admit it may have lacked some detail. I do always air down, in sand or on trails. The small amount of time it takes to air down and air up is offset by better traction, more comfortable ride, and a less chance of getting stuck or not climbing an obstacle. I don't go off road to get stuck, and if I am on a trail I want to finish it and enjoy it as I go. I have seen people get stuck in sand or not be able to do an obstacle and then hold up everyone as they air down or keep trying to do it without airing down. That is not me.

ejsbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have been driving on sand regularly for the last 15 years in 4 different vehicles, the latest of which is a Bronco. For the sole purpose of learning how to best handle my vehicle, with each one I would try no reduction in psi and various different reductions. Airing down is always a better situation (imo) but nor did I get stuck in most of the other occasions. When I did, it was at higher psi and airing down (with rare shoveling of some sand when high-centered) allowed me to get back on course. I never had to be towed. That said, I never experimented in a location where I’d adversely impact others—my problem alone.
Absolutely agree with the statement, though, that it’s not difficult to air down and up, so why not.

Huntsetter1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What’s approximate top speed when aired down to 20?

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What’s approximate top speed when aired down to 20?
Top speed doesn't change. The risk of losing a bead increases. Hard cornering multiplies that potential problem since lower pressure causes the sidewall to shift and increases the likelihood of the bead coming off ie: low pressure and a hard LEFT turn puts the most pressure on the RIGHT front tire.

Sponsored

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Historically, it is usually hard to pull a bead off at 25 or higher PSI - but that isn't always low enough for deep sand... so my personal rule of thumb is 20-25 psi you don't have to worry much as long as you are not doing doughnuts in wet sand or sliding sideways into rocks. 15-20 psi you have to try not to sideload the tires, and <15 psi I would want real beadlocks. These are all pretty conservative pressures, but I also like having vehicles sideways (it is literally my day job).

slews

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco; Prius for the really gnarly stuff
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It depends on the sand, to be honest. There are certainly beaches here in Washington with damp, hard-packed sand where it's definitely not necessary, especially if you're just driving a couple hundred feet out onto the beach to set up your beach chairs or whatever.

But if the sand was soft at all, or if I was planning to drive any substantial distances or at high speeds, I would always air down.

JD11937

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live on the east end of Long Island and drive on the beach regularly with my badlands non-squatch and do not air down at all, haven’t had an issue yet.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Never
Sponsored