Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't looked into the cost or weight of chrome plating the front bumper, but I think the bumper is understated enough that it might look pretty sharp -- especially with a white top. White tops with black bumpers don't look right....

You'd have to get the back bumper to match, and maybe do the door handles... but be careful not go overboard, and just do little accents. Don't want it looking like a Hummer2/3. The grill is def way too big to be chrome.

Any photoshop nerds out there want to render some chrome bumpers?
tenor.gif

Get out of here with your chrome, Trace Adkins! ICK!!!!!!!
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Chrome on cars/trucks stopped being cool long ago. IMO
You know what stopped looking cool on cars a long time ago? "Murdered out" cars that appear to have no trim or contrast whatsoever.

I present my case in point at a horrifically unattractive trim set, the "black shadow edition" bmw. This doesn't even have matte paint and it looks like shit. No contrast, no framing, no visual break between the black, black, black and black.

Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? photo[1]
However, what appeals to the younger generation these days would be considered embarrassing to those a generation older.

I mean, these are considered modern and appealing to some. To me, these look like the utter crap I made in "digital media" class back in 1993 because I hadn't understood the concept of layers or depth.
Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? 210108-gm-logo-ew-1226p_d3f185cb08a55b74885996c4639d74c2.nbcnews-fp-1024-512[1]

Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? CWAHFMjZz8oaqK5npB2kS4-1200-80[1]

Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? aDzH7sHpSJ9ivMQhPMiwT5_1024_80[1]

Now, back to the topic at hand; chroming.

Due to EPA regulations, you're most likely looking at dropping around $3,000-3,500 to strip, dip and chrome the front and rear bumpers for a Bronco. There are few chroming facilities left, most have turned to different plating and specifically got out of the chrome game a long time ago.

I think you should go for it and give it a shot!

Full disclosure: I'm the guy who modifies stainless steel trim from vehicles to suit my customization needs. I also refinish all the stainless steel trim using files, sandpaper and rouge. Oh, that means nothing from after about 1963.

Here's a pic from a day spent polishing the chrome on the '51. Don't mind the flaked, custom bike in the background with whitewalls, you all would hate that as well because I had to build that by hand instead of buying it that way.

Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? chrome polishin

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know what stopped looking cool on cars a long time ago? "Murdered out" cars that appear to have no trim or contrast whatsoever.
Absolutely. Every time I see a car that's been murdered out or painted flat or satin black I pray that the owner will be struck by lightning.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is zero chrome on the bronco. Having a chrome bumper would look out of place.
yeah ngl it will look pretty terrible

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Even high end cars don’t have chrome like they used to.

Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? 1612386673791

Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? 1612386820457

Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? 1612386939038

Sponsored
OP
OP

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So first off for all the people saying it doesnt look good these days, thats just dumb. Its not like it racist or sexist its just what some one who owns something wants something to look like. So saying its out of date or isnt in fashion is completely irrelevant unless you base your entire life on what others think of you. Which is probably the number one issue with society in modern days. Dont add yourselves to the pile of bodies that just die when someone doesnt like a picture they post of their butt or rooster hair-do.

If someone likes chrome let em chrome without holding them on trail at The Hauge.

As for the style. I like both, jeeps I think look better with black because in my mind jeeps are meant to be beaten on. I have only rarely rammed a ford into a tree to bounce out of a rut, but jeeps all the time. So black makes sense on em so I cant touch it up with a can of primer. Since we are talking about a 40-50k vehicle I wont be beating mine like that. I personally have been thinking about fabricating polished aluminum bumpers for mine as well as rock rails. To complent that I would like to have body color(VB) matched flares and a set of the steel wing flares for mudding days or just rainy season. I also gave though about chromed mirror caps and a chrome (or polished allow)grille. I also think it would look great with any added lights to have chrome or polished shine to them. I always loved the trucks with KCs when I was a kid.

Im not a 21 year old criminal hiding from the cops anymore. I like my vehicle to stand out from the crowd. Not because I want someone else to see me, but when I walk to a parking lot and see my bright blue bronco from a mile away, it puts a grin on my face and a tickle down below.

Also im 36 and not some polish my car twice a day fool. I like my vehicle to look good but like it even more when its completely covered in mud.
I kind of think the blacked out think has reached its peak. Its probably gonna be the bronco that kills it too. So if you have to be trendy try being a leading and dont push down ideas, because they may be the next big thing.

I wonder if speckled paint and fuzzy dashes will come back? Its multicolored so unoffensive and safe and cushy for the snowflakes.
They might be entirely correct and it could suck. I'm not married to the idea, that's why I put it out for consideration.

I think the white top will look terrible with the current bumper offerings, which sucks because I would like a white top.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They might be entirely correct and it could suck. I'm not married to the idea, that's why I put it out for consideration.

I think the white top will look terrible with the current bumper offerings, which sucks because I would like a white top.
White and black arent a bad combo same thing with white and grey or black and grey it will look good but it is ultimately your taste. Will it be expensive? oh god yes, will it be tedious and time consuming and difficult indeed, will it make you happy? if yes then brother send it, but if you are interested in resale value it will probably be a bad idea, a lot of people will be polarized by it.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Even high end cars don’t have chrome like they used to.

Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? 69rear

Not having stainless/chrome trim was a sign of a entry-level car only from about 1947 through 2015, so to be fair, that fad didn't last long. The fad of "black edition" or it's various other names is pretty horrific.

You know what's super cheap to produce and all you have to do is convince people it's "upscale" and valuable? Black plastic. Some black plastic would look so damn good on a luxury car.

Who wore it best?
Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? bb3fc54ef2902053cac2ffa11b0a2a06[1]

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is what you need. Just enough chrome to be tasteful.
Ford Bronco Chrome the steel bumper or nah? 1612387547467
**cough, cough..... But never a phantom top, those have never been tasteful in polite company. That's only tasteful to Sir Mix A Lot and only when he's picking up bus stop skanks.... cough cough**

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

White and black arent a bad combo same thing with white and grey or black and grey it will look good but it is ultimately your taste. Will it be expensive? oh god yes, will it be tedious and time consuming and difficult indeed, will it make you happy? if yes then brother send it, but if you are interested in resale value it will probably be a bad idea, a lot of people will be polarized by it.
It's only a bumper.

White and black look great together. Facts. But you don't wear a white belt with black shoes.

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@pitter_patter I wish you good luck in your chrome bumper dream. While, I’m not a fan, there will be far far worse mods made to Broncos. In fact, your mod is quite tasteful in comparison to the things we all know are coming.
Sponsored