James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Look at this 60th anniversary Mustang instrument cluster (all digital) that Ford is providing to Mustang owners (for free!) as an over-the-air update:
tempImagerAonX0.jpg

Wouldn't it be awesome if Ford offered something like that for us Bronco people?
1966 Bronco Neg 146009-126.jpg

Of course, some of the accessory gauges would need to go on the side, not much different than as it is now, but blackout the whole background and do this retro treatment and I might even be willing to pay a reasonable amount for it. (But free would be nice!)
For our Broncos please! Now!
Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll ruffle some feathers here but the Gen 1 Bronco gauges sucked far worse than Gen 6 and I want nothing to do with them.
Nobody ever accused me of being in my right mind. I prefer digital and I even got a digital cluster for my 66.
Not as bad as the wipers.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Big brain thought: the wiper issues some people have with 6Gs is just an easter egg.
See how many around can put that one together. Clue ... Think Dyson 😉

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They tried, by putting the speedo on the left side, just like it was to the left of the column in the 1st gen.

Except they then gave us a digital one right next to it, which pretty much means nobody ever looks at the analog one, myself included.
It is bizarre someone thought two speedometers would be a good use of space. It is the only thing I don't like about the Bronco.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It is bizarre someone thought two speedometers would be a good use of space. It is the only thing I don't like about the Bronco.
Not only two speedometers - but 2 speedometers that combined take up over 50% of the real estate of the gauge cluster. The analog one is not horribly bad, other than it gets hidden by the steering wheel (and I could think of a dozen other better things to put there, but in and of itself it isn't horrible) -- but the digital one - it's huge, plain and ridiculous. A plain, fat, monocolor bar graph that takes up the vast majority of the digital display.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The whole instrument cluster is a trainwreck of ergonomics to me. It's like it was designed by five different people in five different rooms and they were only allowed one-way communication once a day.

The dual speedo, having the trans temp and oil temp gauges have the same temps but different scale, the single left stalk doing too much, having the audio controls split among two sides of the steering wheel instead of having it be controllable by a single hand, the washer button that is impossible to use without hitting the right blinker, wiper controls that can't be used without removing your hand from the steering wheel, having three different controls to change the track (steering wheel, screen, buttons below head unit), the headlight switch not being recessed causing it to get turned on and off by stray legs on entry and exit, the steering wheel side spokes being about 10 deg too high on the axis so your hands sit at 230 and 930 instead of 3 and 9 like they should.

Yeah, I've put some thought into this.

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The whole instrument cluster is a trainwreck of ergonomics to me. It's like it was designed by five different people in five different rooms and they were only allowed one-way communication once a day.

The dual speedo, having the trans temp and oil temp gauges have the same temps but different scale, the single left stalk doing too much, having the audio controls split among two sides of the steering wheel instead of having it be controllable by a single hand, the washer button that is impossible to use without hitting the right blinker, wiper controls that can't be used without removing your hand from the steering wheel, having three different controls to change the track (steering wheel, screen, buttons below head unit), the headlight switch not being recessed causing it to get turned on and off by stray legs on entry and exit, the steering wheel side spokes being about 10 deg too high on the axis so your hands sit at 230 and 930 instead of 3 and 9 like they should.

I've never minded Ford's consolidation of blinker and wiper controls into one stalk, but I agree with you on most of the other points. Especially having the forward back track and up down volume buttons on the wheel on different sides, so dumb.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Like your reading my mind here….spot on critique!! The damn trans/engine temp scale difference drives me nuts. Wtf Ford.

I thought the rear hatch design on the soft top was the single most rediculous engineering flop on the Bronco but since owning my own, my list grew to match yours!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

At one point, there was supposed to be a "High Level Instrument Panel." I can't recall if it was to come with Badlands and higher trims or the Lux package, but I do remember seeing that in the build and price and wondering exactly what that meant.

An early rendering of the IP suggests designers were thinking of a full digital instrument panel with a classic-looking analog style speedometer:
FordBronco_IP_Sketch.jpg
And still to this day, there is the confusion about what the HLIP is/was. First and foremost, it was the High Level Information Panel not High Level Instrument Panel. From a layman's point of view, there is no difference. But an engineer refers to the "dashboard" as an information panel. The HLIP was tied to Broncos with the High/Lux package back in the first iteration of Build & Price and the Dealer Order Guide for MY'21 Broncos. By the time Job1 rolled around, the HLIP was quietly omitted from the bullet list of features.

You can search my handle with subject line of HLIP to reveal the latest unveiling of the HLIP that has made it's appearance in MY'24 Badlands Broncos. If you don't want to search, it is only the soft-touch stitched MGV "dashboard" on MY'24 Badlands.

Sponsored
OP
OP
timhood

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never minded Ford's consolidation of blinker and wiper controls into one stalk, but I agree with you on most of the other points. Especially having the forward back track and up down volume buttons on the wheel on different sides, so dumb.
It’s not like they don’t know how to do that. Our 10+ year-old Escape uses a four-way arrow pad that works nicely.

IXxMcCoyxXl

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It would be great for the Raptor folk that have the full digital screen. Us lesser crowd have an analog speedo and the rest is digital, so that would give us side by side speedo's which would really work up the crowd here!

qrzlshgwgs491.jpg
You are in the wrong mode.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You are in the wrong mode.
I'll tell Google to offer better picture stock, maybe they're conserving resources since they're at a steady 69.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They tried, by putting the speedo on the left side, just like it was to the left of the column in the 1st gen.

Except they then gave us a digital one right next to it, which pretty much means nobody ever looks at the analog one, myself included.
I use the analog one all the time.
Sponsored