First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Sky One Touch like Jeep has it what Ford should have offered.
Just checked out a video of that top. That's pretty cool. I wouldn't need it to be power, but if Ford did offer a power top like that, I know that box would be checked on the order form. Hard to argue with easy, functional and well-designed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
XCR440

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does Bronco have any impact from the chip shortages that have been in the news recently?
It affects the whole industry, my guess is that Bronco will get the chips it needs by sacrificing other (less profitable) production like they've been doing with Edge and Escape. F150's had a slight cut, but its been just enough to keep anyone from even thinking about rebates due to low inventorys.

@XCR440 Nathan as always timely info.
So would a dealer have to refuse some of their MY21 allocation if they maxed out on their orders that fit the % of commodites?
Not sure what will happen, There's a pretty good number of orders in line that should be 22, that may be 21 due to the options. Looking at my orders, only issue I can see not having someone on the list to take is tops, I don't have any soft top orders, so if they say I need a soft top (or rather can't have a hardtop), I don't know what will happen if no one wants to settle for a soft-top. Normal months the allocation just rolls to the next period, but I think there will only be 2 scheduling periods, it couldn't roll if its in in the second scheduling quarter. Guess we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Eric H

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Duramax / 06 Accord / KTMs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wait what? Are you F'in kidding me? The overpriced trailer tow package that will be had for less than $200 aftermarket is an actual commodity problem for Ford?

Guess now I'm happy that allocation numbers appear to be bumping me to a MY22. Save myself at least $400 on the trailer package.
If its like Jeep JL, its more than just a hitch. It includes a rather complicated wiring harness that you need to pull 1/2 the interior apart to install. In the JL there are aftermarket solutions that tap into the brake lights but the factory wiring is the cleanest IMHO. Having done the JL retrofit I thought the tow package option price was fair.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If its like Jeep JL, its more than just a hitch. It includes a rather complicated wiring harness that you need to pull 1/2 the interior apart to install. In the JL there are aftermarket solutions that tap into the brake lights but the factory wiring is the cleanest IMHO. Having done the JL retrofit I thought the tow package option price was fair.
I've done it to a JK, and yes tapped into the brake light wiring. That part took less than 5 minutes, took longer trying to bolt the hitch up, fat fingers no room. And to be honest, works great. Jeep can't tow for shit, but all trailer lights work fine. And I think the hitch I bought was less than $150.

So yeah, I still think it's overpriced. But am more surprised that it could actually be a commodity issue. That blows my mind.

Eric H

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've done it to a JK, and yes tapped into the brake light wiring. That part took less than 5 minutes, took longer trying to bolt the hitch up, fat fingers no room. And to be honest, works great. Jeep can't tow for shit, but all trailer lights work fine. And I think the hitch I bought was less than $150.

So yeah, I still think it's overpriced. But am more surprised that it could actually be a commodity issue. That blows my mind.
"Jeep cant tow for shit " sums it up nice for a 2dr. I've got a lightweight aluminum 7X12 cargo trailer and with two bike an gear loaded it was a handful. Maybe 2500lbs loaded..

edit here: Around town and low speed it was perfectly fine. Plenty of power and brake. Very maneuverable in tight stuff. On the freeway it could be terrifying simply due to road surface and cross winds. I have a pickup as well so it remains my go-to tow rig.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

"Jeep cant tow for shit " sums it up nice for a 2dr. I've got a lightweight aluminum 7X12 cargo trailer and with two bike an gear loaded it was a handful. Maybe 2500lbs loaded..
I realize this is obvious but I am a steel utility trailer person. 10x5 ish, 2 foot high walls. Weighs.a.boatload. Tried moving, by hand, an aluminum 12x20 and it was so effortless.

Of course, steel can and does take a beating very well.

EDIT: OT but about topic

Does aluminum take to lots of welding or does it eventually just give up? I'm thinking it just gives up...

Eric H

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I realize this is obvious but I am a steel utility trailer person. 10x5 ish, 2 foot high walls. Weighs.a.boatload. Tried moving, by hand, an aluminum 12x20 and it was so effortless.

Of course, steel can and does take a beating very well.
Yes there is a huge weight diff in steel vs alum trailers. Steel has the advantage in price and longevity. I spent the money for an alum enclosed v-nose low profile cargo because my parking is tight and I wanted to be able to move it around by hand. With 2 track bikes, and gear loaded I can still move it by hand - mostly. My Silverado doesn't know its back there. Behind the lifted JL its was a serious steer fest but not dangerous. I think 4-dr JL would have handled it much better - especially on stock suspension.

BroncoGator

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got our commodity list for the wholesale we're doing now, and Bronco is on it. I can't post it as I can understand Ford not wanting competitors to have it, but I can say its not as bad as I had thought.

The commodities that were mentioned before are all there, but the build % are higher than I was afraid they might be. For example, 2.7L is a commoditiy, but its not far from the estimates of build orders I've seen in articles online. I think MIC top will be worse than 2.7L for example. Sasquatch I still think will be a bottleneck, I think it will be very noticeable, but I had previously worried it might be darn near impossible (think R model Shelby) and I don't think that will be the case. 2 door is also lower than the estimated orders, but it's not far from it, so yes its a commodity that will delay some orders but shouldn't keep backing up further and further.

So yes commodities are still going to be a problem, but it doesn't look catastrophic like I'd imagined. I could still be proven wrong, but I think biggest issues will be Sasquatch, then MIC top, then Trailer tow. (no numbers on Lux or other packages, so not sure on that).
When scheduling, will Ford give priority to the builds with the least amount of constraints, or will they build in reservation order and when they run out they skip builds?

I have a sasquatch soft top 2.3 badlands with high package and no tow package. I'm wonding if I will be good because I don't have many constraints or just screwed because I have sasquatch.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did the same on my Jeep and was way less then through factory, think I paid $125 for the hitch and wiring harness. And also took longer to get the bolts in than the wiring. Total job 30 mins.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also surprised about the Tow package being a limiting factor.

Honestly glad that Sasquatch is such a bottleneck, since I didn't include it in my build.

Won't matter though, with my build and a 7/23 date with Serramonte I'm stuck with a MY22 no matter what.

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does aluminum take to lots of welding or does it eventually just give up? I'm thinking it just gives up...
I have a Aluma 6x11 flat trailer bought new in 99 and it's been welded on several times not because it was designed wrong

I have abused that thing and it still rolls down the highway
Sponsored