Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

jaekim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 ZHP
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I could never trust JLR reliability but man is that a sweet rig.
Sponsored

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

"only 3 colors available" black, white, gray. They've somehow offered worse colors than Ford! Anticipating they will all be resold quickly already?

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

901ba4a1cbe0c8a601e293e5613159e0.jpg

2020-Land-Rover-Defender-90-off-road-wading-1000x600.jpg

100919-New-land-Rover-Defender7-c-Land-Rover.jpg

LR_DEF_20MY_90_26.02.2020_22.jpg

Land-Rover-Defender-3-of-5.jpg

land-rover-defender-110_01.jpg
the Defender is sweet. BUT maintenance and repairs are way more expensive than on the Bronco and I hope to keep whatever I buy for a long time. Still, you’d have a very nice vehicle for sure. Good luck making your final decision!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not too long ago I was considering the Defender until the reveal. I've been a LR Series & Defender enthusiast for years and like many, I'm thoroughly disappointed in the new Defender as a utility vehicle not to mention that reliability issues are real. I think Ford did it right with the Bronco, LR not so much w/ Defender IMO.
In the end get what you want.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not too long ago I was considering the Defender until the reveal. I've been a LR Series & Defender enthusiast for years and like many, I'm thoroughly disappointed in the new Defender as a utility vehicle not to mention that reliability issues are real. I think Ford did it right with the Bronco, LR not so much w/ Defender IMO.
In the end get what you want.
Some of the best joggers i know are lr owners

They are coming out with a texas edition ,the rear bumper heats up so your hands stay warm when pushing.🐵

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd recommend you take a look at Doug Demuro and TFL's videos on YouTube for the Defender and go from there. Think it comes down to being honest with yourself about what you really want/need.
Farah has both on road and off road reviews of the Defender on The Smoking Tire. He's not a Defender fanboy like Doug (although TBH Doug seemed pretty fair / impartial on the new one). Worth checking out as well.

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the only reason LR is coming out with the V8 for the new generation defender is because they are scared to death of the bronco and will be losing market share. You get a better car for less money and far cheaper repairs going the Ford route.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The LR seems to go everywhere the other SUV go, but with more comfort. Looks like a real option, depending on what's most important.

I've owned mostly Ford and Jeep products for decades now. The Ford is no better than the Jeeps, relative to repairs. My current Ford waited 36,500 miles for the info-tainment to shit the bed and 48,500 miles for the engine to start leaking oil. So, the oil leak was covered and the info-tainment unit wasn't. I've been told the black screen costs $2,000 to replace and it's not easily replaced a/m. So, I drive around with either the volume to zero, or listening to the same station for weeks at a time (you can't turn the radio on or off, switch channels, etc.). My point is, just like a new computer, the electronics are old, outdated and waiting to fail as soon as you power them on, regardless of whether you have a 12" screen in a Ford or an 8" screen in a LR.

If you buy what you want, LR, Ford, Jeep, Toyota, more power to you.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the only reason LR is coming out with the V8 for the new generation defender is because they are scared to death of the bronco and will be losing market share. You get a better car for less money and far cheaper repairs going the Ford route.
I don't think LR gives two sh*ts about the Bronco. They're mostly different markets, marketed to different people. I don't think there are a lot of Bronco folks waiting to see what the LRV8 looks like and would consider that a selling point, or would buy a LR for that.

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think LR gives two sh*ts about the Bronco. They're mostly different markets, marketed to different people. I don't think there are a lot of Bronco folks waiting to see what the LRV8 looks like and would consider that a selling point, or would buy a LR for that.
I tend to agree.

I looked at it briefly early on and the entry point for the base 2dr is what I'm paying for a well appointed (its all relative) BD 4dr.

Its a cool vehicle and I think it looks great but its much more expensive and part of the draw of the Bronco for me is the removable top and doors.

I didn't look at pricing but adding the V8 probably pushes the price point way way out of what the average Bronco buyer is looking at.

Just look at the entry prices. The Defender is nearly $20k more to start. Thats not insignificant.

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they don't care about the bronco, why are there so many defender trolls on this board?

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can't unsee the Queen in the new Defender.
Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 1614363829751
Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 1614363789318
Sponsored