Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with others, it just does not offer the Open Air and freedom you get from the Bronco, which I personally value. I did see they just announced a V8 Defender at 75K. At that point why not just get a land cruiser (last year available in US) or a number of other high end SUVs? If you cant pop the top its just not an apples to apples comparison IMHO.
Sponsored

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
If they don't care about the bronco, why are there so many defender trolls on this board?
What exactly do you mean? Not stirring anything up, I honestly am not sure what you're saying with this comment.

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What exactly do you mean? Not stirring anything up, I honestly am not sure what you're saying with this comment.
As others have noted in this thread, it seems like there are some LR salespeople commenting in here by the way they sound.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they don't care about the bronco, why are there so many defender trolls on this board?
As others have noted in this thread, it seems like there are some LR salespeople commenting in here by the way they sound.
Haha, how many people on this board are actually buying a LR? One or two? Comparing vehicles doesn't make someone a troll. A troll is a short hairy guy that lives under a bridge and pops tires of non-Jeep vehicles that try to tackle the Rubicon trail. Everybody knows that.

The Bronco isn't the best thing since sliced bread. Many of the competitors are competitors because they are better at specific things. The Bronco will be good at some things and not-so-great at many others, just like every other brand.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually saw a new first edition Defender earlier this week. Looked much better in person than in pics, and I like the look of it. But in comparison to the Bronco...
  • OP already convinced himself he didn't need Sasquatch, so you can get a fully loaded Badlands for about $60k. Look at the Defender top trims and you're starting in the mid $80ks.
  • No removable doors/roof.
  • LR well known for mechanical and QC issues.
  • You can get a bunch of cool accessories with your Defender build, all from the factory. But after that you have far fewer aftermarket options - especially in the US. By all accounts the aftermarket options for the Bronco are going to be plentiful.

Sponsored

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh, I didn't read most of the post so I wasn't aware of that. Seems unlikely to me but I suppose it's possible.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Considering that the Defender is 1/2 again the price of a Bronco, no I haven't considered it.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Paul Gagnon what's the price of the Bronco and the LR?

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Paul Gagnon what's the price of the Bronco and the LR?
In Canada the base 2 dr Bronco starts at $40,499 and the 4 dr starts at $45,749. The base Defender 90 starts at $59,700 and Defender 110 $65,300.

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

901ba4a1cbe0c8a601e293e5613159e0.jpg

2020-Land-Rover-Defender-90-off-road-wading-1000x600.jpg

100919-New-land-Rover-Defender7-c-Land-Rover.jpg

LR_DEF_20MY_90_26.02.2020_22.jpg

Land-Rover-Defender-3-of-5.jpg

land-rover-defender-110_01.jpg
I drove up on a new Defender 90 from behind on I-95. It looks fucky. It's why I've seen exactly zero promo photos from the back. No more analysis needed. It looks fucky. That's that.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 1614371276834

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I GUESS you can cross shop these vehicles.....
But really they are totally different experiences.

I saw a little old lady driving a black one the other day....

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 1614371718835

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've seen a few of them around where I live and I think it looks pretty damn good.

I want a top off car and can't afford a defender even if I wanted one.
Sponsored