Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got my Defender last week, lifted it in my garage this weekend and slapped on some bigger tires. Love how it's coming a long, looks great on the road and I've been stopped multiple times by onlookers etc.

What a terrific vehicle. I'm surprised how big it feels both while inside the cabin, and while walking around it. Quite a bit taller and wider than a Bronco, with a lot more room on the inside. It's significantly larger than a Jeep or a 4Runner as well - it has presence closer to a full size pickup truck actually which is both good and bad. Visibility can be awkward in spots, and it's a pita to get into. It has a 3rd row, that is basically pointless and only functions to say "3rd row" in the marketing materials.

That said, it's not without it's warts. I have the dreaded A-Pillar sound, driving at highway speeds it sounds like a bunch of sand hitting the windshield, and will require the trim on the A pillar to be repaired or replaced. Also, at very low speeds (sub 30MPH) there is a distinct rattle on the driver door/B Pillar area. Sounds like it needs to be tightened or something there, perhaps inside the plastic shroud where the seatbelt mechanism rests.

Love the interior, and really like the virtual dash and materials. Almost everything is soft touch and very compliant. The Clear Sight rear view camera in the mirror is interesting, but it's almost too realistic and not sure how much it's needed. I got the advanced off road package, and am putting that through it's paces out at the black mesa this weekend. The surround cameras, particularly of the tires in off-road camera view are particularly impressive. The entire thing looks and feels very premium, and the interior is one of the best I've sat in. Very airy, bright and classy looking. That's why the rattles are so obnoxious, because every thing else has been very well thought out and designed. Heading out to the mesa's this weekend with a new lifted Gladiator, a few Wranglers and a Raptor and I suspect this truck will perform well, but will report any issues or complaints.

Overall, very impressed but the build quality is light years off of Porsche, BMW in terms of fit/finish. The rattling is especially annoying given the location of the rattles and the cost of the vehicle ($75k). Not enough to make me want something else, mind you, as I think this is my favorite looking vehicle I've owned, but something to consider if you're looking for one. That coupled with JLR's "legendary" reliability should give some food for thought.

Below pics are factory with the "normal" tires, and then the after with the newer tires and small Johnson Rod lift.
That looks great! I've been looking around for one with the specs I want. One is perfect aside from the interior color, and others are close. I could order and right now Defenders are not being stopped by semiconductor supplies (other LR vehicles are), but I worry about the same long delay I'm already stuck with. Sales person said 3-4 months from order. I might settle on something just slightly off perfection or deal with a tan interior. Loved the way it drove and as you mentioned, the presence / size is perfect.
Sponsored

LoneStarBridger

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That looks great! I've been looking around for one with the specs I want. One is perfect aside from the interior color, and others are close. I could order and right now Defenders are not being stopped by semiconductor supplies (other LR vehicles are), but I worry about the same long delay I'm already stuck with. Sales person said 3-4 months from order. I might settle on something just slightly off perfection or deal with a tan interior. Loved the way it drove and as you mentioned, the presence / size is perfect.
The auto delays are not limited to Ford. Itā€™s most dealerships. In central Texas I test drove a BMW X5. there were barely any on the lot. My sales guy said typically they have 75 on the lot this time of year, now they have 5. His ā€sales pitchā€ was they would guarantee no additional charges over MSRP and since BMW are made in South Carolina Iā€™d have a new one in as little as 5 weeks. there was no attempt to keep me there, sit down and talk, just No need for hard sale.
My next stop was Land Rover. more supply issues again, as the sales rep could not tell me when and how many allotments the dealer would be ā€allotted to orderā€. She said at unknown times the dealer is given an allotment of vehicles, 90ā€™s, 110ā€˜s, 4 cylinder or 6. And their process is you have to put $1k down, but your name is placed on order with estimate delivery date. She called a week later and said there was a rumor allotments for LR Defender 2022 V8 was coming to the dealership that week. She didnā€™t know when or how many. LR dealership only received 1 allotment, allegedly. Anyway, i did put $1k down, and the order states delivery October 23rd. i was suspect this was a sales tactic so I called another LR dealership. They had same story, just had never even received an allotment for the V8, so now I feel fortunate I was able to get my name on one, although not sure I can bring myself to spend that much. Oh, and the $1k totally refundable, as she said, ā€œweā€™d sell it no problem probably for more than the deal you are getting on MSRPā€. Since when has MSRP become a deal?

Take note Ford- better expectation setting and I would not even be looking anywhere else.

good luck to everyone, hope yā€™all love your Broncos. But with these auto supply issues across all manufacturers if you can get your hands on it, buy it. I think I will have to buy that V8 Defender if it does get delivered. as it is totally bad ass, and Iā€™ll risk reliability issues I know about versus a bronco we have no idea.

best part of Bronco reservation experience is this blog, thanks to everyoneā€™s insight really has filled the vacuum of information Ford dealerships bring. i wish Defender had a blog like this.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We better all hope that the auto industry is able to build more of everything very soon. This MSRP++++ being a good deal is just not going to work for long. When the game is like this, I refuse to play. For now, I keep what I got. Waiting for a dealer to "bless me" with a sale is just a joke.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. FDFBADBD-0240-4AA8-84F7-2E25B5BAF5CA
Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 4F0BE9D9-08C6-470A-BFC0-02F3A6956D0C

Sponsored

KDTX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new Defenders look really nice! I am sure they are capable as well.

This is the problem I have with Landrover:
I purchased a brand new Discovery II in 2000. I then traded it in for a brand new Discovery II 2002 which I wanted for the locking center diff. Several trips to Moab and Colorado, they were extremely capable vehicles.

BUT......... between the 2 vehicles, I had over 20 warranty visits for really stupid stuff, some of which was not resolved on the first visit. This really put a sour taste in my mouth for the brand (and damn, I still love the 1993-5 Defenders!)

Enter, Toyota and the FJ Crusier. I was fed up with spending time and money at the dealership and went with a brand new 2008 FJ. I didn't do as much off roading, but I did modify it and it was highly capable. 220,000 miles and 8 years later I gave it to my son for his 16th Bday. In that time, I had 1 mechanical problem - alternator which I replaced myself for $150. Hoping and praying I can get this kind of reliability from my Bronco!

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went to the auto show last month to see my first Bronco in person. They had 2 Bronco's on display but you couldn't touch them. Bronco's did look great!! Walking around to the Land Rover area I was floored by the Defender 90!! I thought the shape was gorgeous, and I really liked the glass roof. The Defender won't have the rock crawling capabilities that the Bronco or a Jeep could achieve because it doesn't have the 4Low transfer case option. I'm sure aftermarket lifts like the "rod" lift would be pricey too. I currently drive a Tundra that can get in the rocks better than the Defender so I need to quit looking at them on CarGurus........ That Gold/Bronze/Brownish? color with the black hood is amazing!!
Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. d48Bl1

bCRvfsh.jpg

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Put in my Defender order this week. Dealer submitted it Wednesday or Thursday and it's scheduled for a September 3rd arrival, which seems great to me. I wouldn't lose it if it's a little delayed, even. I was trying to leave it up to chance between the Bronco and Defender, but most everything showing in inventory was just customer orders and not actual dealer stock. I finally figured I had no chance at getting my Badlands this year (despite a morning after reservation), so I decided to order.

Went with the classic pangea green with the white top, and black interior (including the headliner). Basic 110SE with the I6 and advanced off road. I also included the clearsight rear view mirror, heated and cooled seats, and adaptive cruise, but otherwise didn't want to get too crazy with the price.

Really looking forward to picking it up. The one I test drove was just so nice, and I see so few around here (plenty of rovers, but only a few defenders, and I've only seen one other in pangea green).

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Put in my Defender order this week. Dealer submitted it Wednesday or Thursday and it's scheduled for a September 3rd arrival, which seems great to me. I wouldn't lose it if it's a little delayed, even. I was trying to leave it up to chance between the Bronco and Defender, but most everything showing in inventory was just customer orders and not actual dealer stock. I finally figured I had no chance at getting my Badlands this year (despite a morning after reservation), so I decided to order.

Went with the classic pangea green with the white top, and black interior (including the headliner). Basic 110SE with the I6 and advanced off road. I also included the clearsight rear view mirror, heated and cooled seats, and adaptive cruise, but otherwise didn't want to get too crazy with the price.

Really looking forward to picking it up. The one I test drove was just so nice, and I see so few around here (plenty of rovers, but only a few defenders, and I've only seen one other in pangea green).
That's a pretty good turn around time! I think it's time to test drive one, since I'm in the same boat as you with the Bronco, week 1 reservation and even though i reluctantly switched to the soft top I'm still looking at an inderterminate wait time to get a $60k car that now isn't exactly what I want (on the hope I can actually buy a hard top in 2+ years lol). I had read there was a 3-6+ ordering lead time for Defenders but sounds like it's very much closer to the bottom of that range

Sponsored

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a pretty good turn around time! I think it's time to test drive one, since I'm in the same boat as you with the Bronco, week 1 reservation and even though i reluctantly switched to the soft top I'm still looking at an inderterminate wait time to get a $60k car that now isn't exactly what I want (on the hope I can actually buy a hard top in 2+ years lol). I had read there was a 3-6+ ordering lead time for Defenders but sounds like it's very much closer to the bottom of that range
I just can't switch to a soft top, so that option was a no-go for me, especially with the 2+ year wait time to get a hard top separately. I also won't compromise that much on something that expensive.

As for the Defender, there have been stories about chip shortages and work stoppages, but dealers have reported no stoppages, just a slowdown. Right now I can forgive some chip shortages and if it extends my delivery by a month, I still think it's good delivery time. I'm also under the impression that the longer lead times were earlier this year between the '21 and '22 switchover, but that's just based on reading some Land Rover forums. I'd also assume delays might hit the new v8 models / really high-end trims more than the lower trim levels. In any case, I ordered a 110 P400SE with the off-road and advanced off-road packs, so that seems in good supply. I didn't have to put a deposit down so at this point, I have nothing to lose, but am REALLY hoping to see my Defender in early September.

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To me it's definitely tempting to place an order on a defender (110 S, P300, offroad/towing packs) and just see which one gets built sooner. I don't even know what year my Bronco order will be fulfilled in after all. Given how fast Defenders are flying off dealer lots, it's definitely not going to screw either dealer to get to mark up and sell either truck

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A Land Rover on a trailer!ā€¦ā€¦..now where have I seen that before?ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦or is it an Honda Element? (easily mistaken)
šŸ˜ˆ

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A Land Rover on a trailer!ā€¦ā€¦..now where have I seen that before?ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦or is it an Honda Element? (easily mistaken)
šŸ˜ˆ
I was just reading Land Rover has been focusing on quality issues. There is still work to be done, but they've made great strides in just the last year (warranty costs on '21 models dropped by 1/3 compared to the previous year). They also have someone responsible for customer satisfaction who reports directly to their newish CEO, so another good move. I would probably not buy a '20 Defender, but the 22 seems like a safe bet. Anyhow, I've had Ford vehicles all my life - I had multiple Rangers with throwout bearing issues and I had an Escape that needed the entire engine (Ecoboost) replaced under warranty, so some of it either comes down to luck or just being happy enough with the vehicle that you can accept flaws (my past Ford issues were not keeping me away from the Bronco, for example).

As far as style, one of the best things about the Defender is nobody is forced to buy it if they don't like it.
Sponsored