Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Tesla Model 3, 23 Bronco Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Bronco - 2023 Heritage (standard) base audio system with the sub-delete.

Tried a few different configurations but wasn't happy until I finally decided to try a set of component speakers up front. Here was my process:

First thing I did to the audio system was install the factory amp and kicker 6.75 sub in back to replace the dummy components. Bass was much better but factory speakers were still garbage. Followed that with the Mabett rear pods with Focal RCX-165s, front dash speakers with Focal ACX-100s and left the factory kick panel speakers. Completed the necessary Forscan changes. Sound was nice and acceptable at low volumes sitting with the vehicle off, in the garage. The problem was that anytime you started moving with engine and road noise, turning up the volume resulted in some harsh unpleasant highs and mids.

So, I tried a few different configurations with this set. 300hz bass blockers, 600hz bass blockers, no bass blockers. Basically, no combination sounded good. I know Focals can be a little bright but I've had good luck in other vehicles in the past. Listening closer and spending time in the Bronco helped diagnose the problem as the dash speakers were getting too much volume compared to the rest of the system. Contemplated between the rewire, mentioned on this forum, to change the wiring from parallel to series, thought about wiring up a Kicker key 200.4 or something similar, and of course trying some component speakers. Normally, in my previous vehicles, when I redid the audio, the first thing was a nice set of components. So, I went that route first, still assuming that I would need some sort of amplifier to help drive everything.

Purchased a set of Morel Maximo 6 components from Crutchfield. Included in the installation gear was a set of blank plastic plates to mount the tweeters in the dash location. Chose the Morels because they are pretty efficient at 90.5db, which I was hoping would work ok with the stock amp. They also had good reviews and price.

Install was pretty easy, basically the same as any install but you have to run some wires from the tweeters. There's plenty of open space to run wires from the dash to the crossover. I just put a flashlight underneath by the kick panel and followed the light to end up where I wanted. Wired up to the crossover and then used velcro tape to secure the crossovers to the body, up and away from everything.

Ford Bronco Component speakers are worth the extra effort IMG_6686

Ford Bronco Component speakers are worth the extra effort IMG_6685

Ford Bronco Component speakers are worth the extra effort IMG_6687

Ford Bronco Component speakers are worth the extra effort IMG_6690

I didn't have a drill bit quite big enough for the hole I needed, so I had to do some filing down on the plate to get the tweeters to fit. I then hot glued them in to make sure they were secure and seal was good. I also shaved off some of the plastic from the kick panel cover. It looked like it was going to interfere with speakers and was easy insurance to make sure I didn't ruin the woofers.

Result - MUCH better! Finally happy with the system. Highs are more mellowed out and now it seems the rest of the system can catch up in volume. Plenty of low notes and even some nice mids now. It seems letting the Morel crossover handle the power division was an excellent choice. As of right now, I don't feel the need to add an amplifier to give them more juice. Go plenty loud and no longer hurts my ears to listen to music. If you are contemplating running actual component speakers instead of the 4" 2-way speakers in the dash and 2-ways in the kick panel, it's worth it!
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad to hear you’re happy with it. I purchased a set of Morel maximo ultra 6.5“ components for a similar install, but I haven’t had time to do the work.

OP
OP
DrewMackin

DrewMackin

Heritage
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Tesla Model 3, 23 Bronco Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Glad to hear you’re happy with it. I purchased a set of Morel maximo ultra 6.5“ components for a similar install, but I haven’t had time to do the work.
Those will probably sound even better being a tier up from the 6s I installed. Good luck on your install when you get around to it!
Sponsored