Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think many people like me who wanted a 2 door were expecting the rear seats to fold flat to makeup for the space needs.
Yup. Want(ed?) a 2-door and expected the back seats to be down full-time with the supposed tray.

But now... Who knows.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I get that it sucks that it doesn't fold flat this day in age but what are people doing that the need it flat?

If theres a platform to level it out you lose that bit of cargo area anyway.

What are people routinely loading into a 2 door that the floor needs to be perfectly flat?
Like I've said I'll live with it but, the 94" wheelbase Bronco II had a fold flat seat so this 100 WB ought to handle it. Maybe because of rear suspension/gas tank or super tall seat backs it can't be done now. I carry a big elk hunting camp w/wall tent, stove, kitchen etc so a stout flat floor is nice.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get that it sucks that it doesn't fold flat this day in age but what are people doing that the need it flat?

What are people routinely loading into a 2 door that the floor needs to be perfectly flat?
A flat , flush folding seat solution would allow for GREATLY easier aftermarket overland stuff.

On top of better storage for things like groceries or any other stuff you want to haul

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A flat , flush folding seat solution would allow for GREATLY easier aftermarket overland stuff.

On top of better storage for things like groceries or any other stuff you want to haul
Right. I forgot overlanders. My tent, stove, and cooler don't need a fully flat floor. I forgot about all the do-dads those guys have ?

Section8

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base

I use the back of my vehicles as an area for my dog, crates, tools and tool chests, backpacking gear, portable water for camping, and other camping gear. Most of the rear of my vehicle is space for my dog though.

For most purposes, manufacturer "flat" that isn't actually flat also isn't nearly as ideal as actually flat. Stuff slides down inclines, especially on bumping roads. My dog isn't a fan of laying on an incline or having a giant shelf in the middle of his area.

Its not like this is a mystical art of engineering, lots of other vehicles have good rear flat options. The Jeep's rear seat can be removed with one lever pull and all I have seen so far of the Bronco indicate it isn't being designed to do that easily. I know I can use tools and take it out, but quick in and out is convenient.

I am also fully aware I can just modify the back or install an after-market shelf, but my expectation is to not have to modify a 40 thousand dollar vehicle to what I consider basic cargo functionality.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have seen them available for jeeps. Also these trays are super easy to make. Heavy duty sliders are like $70 for 500lb rating. If you can weld, bend, or brake, you are halfway there. If not just use wood.
Can you please confirm your intention on this post?

I can only weld, angle grind and drink beer. According to your build requirements that's probably only about 15% "there"?

For the comments about dogs in the back, and please understand that I don't own any dogs currently but grew up with them and they rode in every vehicle we had, but I was genuinely unaware that dogs were incapable of sitting or walking on uneven ground. Has this been the case for all dogs since about 1990 or is it a trained evolution?

The seats will fold down nearly flat (without any weight on them) and will be flat if a big dog were to lay on the seat back. If you need humans in all 4 seats, then the dog has a perfectly flat and confined place to think about it's choice in masters.

Putting on the ol' "thinkin' cap" about this pull-out shelf, and since the cargo area is only about 16" deep from the tailgate, that's an awfully small and ineffective pull-out shelf to begin with. Please note that I was genuinely excited for the pull-out trey and had it on the very short list of options I would order (i'm old fashioned and dont need/want all the tech items and even prefer a key to keyless entry). But once the images of the rear cargo area came out, that trey was just going to waste more space than it creates on those few times you needed it.

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think many people like me who wanted a 2 door were expecting the rear seats to fold flat to makeup for the space needs.
Or better yet be easily removable. Think the 2 door will never be built more than the prototype and all the work went into the 4 door. Really want the 2 door, but they're making it harder and harder for me to justify the money I'm going to spend on something that wouldn't be able to handle luggage for 2. --> edit: Would rather be able to pull the seats easily to fit the dog and luggage with no issue. With folding seats it may not work.

Last edited:

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

On one of those videos of the test mule you can see the bolted in a metal shelf to the floor. Iā€™m sure that will be an option from someone. Then just spray some rubberized coating on it and yaā€™ll will have some happy dogs.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am also fully aware I can just modify the back or install an after-market shelf, but my expectation is to not have to modify a 40 thousand dollar vehicle to what I consider basic cargo functionality.
The option of a pull-out shelf was in itself a modification to it's initial design.

Perhaps the 2-door just wasn't designed to haul cargo since they make the 4-door Bronco, Bronco Sport, Transit van, Ranger, every F-series in every configuration under the sun, about twelve other CUV's, etc? I don't know, could be wrong and they designed the 2-door Bronco to be the primary cargo hauler since "technically" you can pile cargo up to the sky with that open roof and awesome boron-steel tie-downs!

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
9/10 people dont know...
Pictures of the 2-door rear are as hard to find as one of the Pope in his underwear. Once folks realize THIS is what Ford's offering, I predict many will cool off quickly:

Ford Bronco Confirmed: Sliding Tray not available for 2 door Bronco 1596234405109

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Pictures of the 2-door rear are as hard to find as one of the Pope in his underwear. Once folks realize THIS is what Ford's offering, I predict many will cool off quickly:

Ford Bronco Confirmed: Sliding Tray not available for 2 door Bronco 1596234405109
It's already been documented that in this picture (of a pre-production test mule vehicle) the seat bottoms were not put into the correct vertical configuration to allow the seat backs to rest as far horizontally as they are designed to be.

Where the final answer is on "how flat will it be?" we don't know yet. But it won't be as this picture shows, and it won't be perfectly flat.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's already been documented that in this picture (of a pre-production test mule vehicle) the seat bottoms were not put into the correct vertical configuration to allow the seat backs to rest as far horizontally as they are designed to be.
Understood. But even folded correctly, you have a 4" shelf, a sloping rear seatback, and I'm assuming 2 headrests sticking up like sore thumbs.

But it could be the 2-door is intended just as the 2 white & saddle interiors - just to draw hype during the reveal.

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜12 Lexus GX, ā€˜75 Bronco Sport ā€œBuddyā€
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Honest question, for some of you it seems like a single cab f150 with a bed cap would fit what youā€™re actually looking for. I get that it wouldnā€™t be a Bronco, but it would give you 2 or 3 seats, room for a dog crate or camping equipment and a flat surface to sleep on. Why not consider one of those? The 2-door Bronco was never going to check all of the boxes for every single personā€™s unique needs.
Iā€™m the opposite of everyone else it seems. Initially planned on a 4-door, but after seeing them, I think thereā€™s plenty of space in the 2-door for everything I see myself doing with it. Both have significantly more useful space than a wrangler, but will still fit in my 1.8 car garage in our subdivision.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Understood. But even folded correctly, you have a 4" shelf, a sloping rear seatback, and I'm assuming 2 headrests sticking up like sore thumbs.
Headrests are now heavily regulated in their function and strength and can contribute to a vehicles overall crash test ratings. having it fold backwards (from the upright position) is a willing sacrifice.

Having had a 1991 Civic Wagon 4WD (with 6 spd manual and "super low" crawler 1st gear) with a similar configuration of rear seat, i'm not too worried about Bronco. The 4" lip won't be ideal, but losing those 4" 100% of the time (as with a pull-out bench) would really limit the cargo measurements for this and turn off other buyers. In the Civic you had to remove the headrests entirely (and there wasn't room under the seat bottom (in vertical position) to store them. Any solution for a short cab vehicle was going to have strengths and weaknesses.

Us pre-order folks tend to be the most critical owners compared to those 2-3 years down the road who know what they are getting and can get hands-on and see what they are getting.

sbsdevil

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a pull-out shelf in my previous 4Runner and it was nice for easy a heavy cooler and for a while, I had a dog crate on it but I did not get one in my current 4Runner and I don't miss it much.

I do miss the level surface and little storage compartments.
Sponsored