Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜12 Lexus GX, ā€˜75 Bronco Sport ā€œBuddyā€
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

To be honest, the tray looks cool with the FORD tailgate stamp, but I am not getting the utility exactly. It takes up about two cubic feet or so, and when you slide it out you are farther away from your gear in the back. I guess you could put your camp stove on it or something.
I would use it for tailgating and I love the old stamped letters.
Sponsored

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be honest, the tray looks cool with the FORD tailgate stamp, but I am not getting the utility exactly. It takes up about two cubic feet or so, and when you slide it out you are farther away from your gear in the back. I guess you could put your camp stove on it or something.
Honestly I think they made it as a place to sit and added in the "you can organize and maneuver gear on it" to spice it up a bit. The sliding cargo tray in the 4runner looks like the more logical solution for the getting gear in and out scenario.

BigAl

Base
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought it would be great for the camp stove but someone on here posted a picture of one of the jeep tailgate tables that many companies make and that actually looks way more practical

J101072.jpeg

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought it would be great for the camp stove but someone on here posted a picture of one of the jeep tailgate tables that many companies make and that actually looks way more practical

J101072.jpeg
I thought that set up was a great idea. Especially in conjunction with the slide out tray.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Tough crowd. Iā€™ve had a 97 TJ since 2000. It was my first car, had it through high school, college, kids, dogs, moved with, camped, slept in it (never sober), etc... Given the rear seat does come out pretty easily, but itā€™s no suburban. Storage in a 2 door 4x4 is not going to be great under any circumstances, you kind of just have to figure it out and have a ā€œitā€™ll fitā€ mentality.
Yup.

I lived in my YJ for an entire summer. In the desert. Pulled the back seat, pulled the passenger seat, packed my gear in it and hit the road.

Tight AF, but possible if you actually want to make it work.

Also...I was like 23 and a Marine. I could sleep anywhere and living in a YJ wasn't "roughing it" for me :D

Sponsored

Spencer

Outer Banks
First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is the supposed 2Dr rear seat fold down ideal? No.
Is the lack of the sliding tray a bummer? Yes

Is that HONESTLY enough of a reason to not get the 2DR!?!?!?!?

Seems a bit extreme, but to each their own I suppose..... Obviously some of you may intend on loading your truck up, overlanding, sitting on the folding tray, Yeti Tumbler in hand, looking all outdoorsy. Don't get me wrong, I hope the rear seats fold flatter (not a deal killer), and if given the option for the sliding tray, I'd tick that option box. But both are FAR FROM deal killers, at least for me.....

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is 52 cubic ft really that small though? Itā€™s more than the standard setup in the back of my GX or a 4Runner or either wrangler.
By number alone 52 isn't that bad. But if anything longer than 24 inches has to fight with that 4 inch bump that'll be annoying

I expect an SUV, Even a small one to at least match the practicality of my tiny BMW coupe

If it's really so bad I'll have no issues buying something else and there's aero chance that something else will be a ford

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tough crowd. Iā€™ve had a 97 TJ since 2000. It was my first car, had it through high school, college, kids, dogs, moved with, camped, slept in it (never sober), etc... Given the rear seat does come out pretty easily, but itā€™s no suburban. Storage in a 2 door 4x4 is not going to be great under any circumstances, you kind of just have to figure it out and have a ā€œitā€™ll fitā€ mentality.
I agree.....

I have a 97 TJ as well and my 95 lb. Rottweiler/ Black lab mix that had no problem in the TJ with the rear seat out and let me tell you what that TJ is WAY smaller than the Bronc, even though I haven't seen it in person yet I can tell by the pics it is bigger.

PR4X4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ and Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree.....

I have a 97 TJ as well and my 95 lb. Rottweiler/ Black lab mix that had no problem in the TJ with the rear seat out and let me tell you what that TJ is WAY smaller than the Bronc, even though I haven't seen it in person yet I can tell by the pics it is bigger.
Nice, I love mine. She's long in tooth, almost 190,000 miles now. Those four little squirrels under the hood just keep going though. Not sure I can ever get rid of it, but I do need something more reliable/safe. Hell my wife barely lets the dog ride with me much less the kids. I looked hard at the JL, but wanted to wait for the Bronco. In my opinion Ford crushed anything Jeep offers at the moment. The Black Diamond checked every box for me. I'm not a rock crawler could care less about SFA. Can't wait don't care if it has a pull out tray or flat floor floor. We will get by!

Last edited:

SVT_GRL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 SVT Cobra, 2013 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup.

I lived in my YJ for an entire summer. In the desert. Pulled the back seat, pulled the passenger seat, packed my gear in it and hit the road.

Tight AF, but possible if you actually want to make it work.

Also...I was like 23 and a Marine. I could sleep anywhere and living in a YJ wasn't "roughing it" for me :D
I did the same in my WRX for a year through the National Parks. Added a Tepui tent half way through and it wasnā€™t a problem. The 2 door might be an upgrade for me. ? Iā€™m just hoping the driver seat will move forward so I can sleep diagonally. 5ā€™11ā€ here. I reallly donā€™t want to go with 4 dr, but in time Iā€™m hoping weā€™ll get some definite conclusions on dimensions.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I just know Iā€™ve had a JK for 12 years and not once did I say to myself: ā€œI wish I had a pull out trayā€.

I agree a pull out security drawer would make more sense.

Sough

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I donā€™t care much about the slide out tray. Yea, it would be nice to have but I can go without it. I am concerned about the seats in the back though. I was really hoping they would lay flat or very close to it and I pretty disappointed they seem like they wonā€™t. I donā€™t want the 4 door. Depending on whatever adjustments are made to the 2 door back seats flexibility, I may not buy one.

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's not so much a deal breaker as it is the principal of it all. Depending on what package and options you go with, you could be spending $50k for a very capable off road vehicle that has all the bells and whistles on it. With that, comes a lot of thought and engineering. Then you get to the rear seats and it's like "nah, we're done. We dgaf".
I don't know. I get it that you can't think of everything or please everyone. I'm not complaining about something trivial, I don't think. They had plenty of time to think of and develop a stupid bottle opener in the back but can't figure out a rear seat? Come on.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Then you get to the rear seats and it's like "nah, we're done. We dgaf".
I'm 100% happy with the SIZE of the 2-door rear. But its DESIGN renders it nearly unusable. And 'dgaf' seems to be the message Ford is sending out.
Sponsored