Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've got an internal debate going on with myself and am looking for some clarity from outside opinions. I currently have the BB ordered with the manual and rear locker included. I've been considering switching to the auto, keeping the 2.3, and adding the mid package for the additional creature comforts.

The other aspect of this I've been considering is debating if I really need the rear locker. The most off-roading I will likely do is going hunting, or any hiking trails that may have dirt roads, etc. to the trail head. Which leads me to considering switching to the OBX, removing the rear locker, and maybe even adding the high package. This would put my order from $40-42K to about $45K, but the additional standard features that come with the OBX maybe makes the jump seem worth it.

I don't plan on selling the Bronco, so resale value isn't that much of a concern to me (relating to the rear locker not being there when reselling). Are my thoughts here off base?
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm right at $47,953 with the spec below.

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been debating manual 2.3 big bend w/ rear locker vs manual 2.3 badlands with mid package. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the big bend. Not likely I'd ever do rough enough offroading to need the badlands suspension or front locker. And I'm pretty sure I can fit 33s on the big bend pretty easily. If I could get mid package with a manual in the big bend, it'd be a no brainer. But, really the only thing I want from the mid package is heated seats, and I could probably add those myself aftermarket.

That probably does nothing to help you with your debate. Ha. OBX isn't on my radar. I actually prefer base models with fewer "bells and whistles" because in my mind that's all just more stuff that will likely break somewhere down the line. I prefer the most mechanically and technologically simple trim that will suit my needs. For me, the big bend seems like the best balance of capability and creature comfort.

OP
OP
Panmort

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm right at $47,953 with the spec below.
That sounds right based on the spreadsheet I created comparing everything. :LOL:
Obviously anything the OBX adds is a need and not a want. Maybe the main thing I'm trying to convince myself of is dropping the rear locker. But watch myself get caught needing it..

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OBX. I ordered the Black Diamond, and really, have regretted it more days than not. I have never needed a rear locker, and that's hunting(past tense for me) and driving the roads you mentioned. My Jeep and F150 did just fine without, along with my dads 4WD's that also always handled the job.

I got sucked in by the "might" need thought process. I did like the "look" of the steelies and the MGV seats. Still, the Big Bend is likely what I should have gotten.

I would get the higher trim without the manual and locker. You will be happier in my opinion for 99% of your driving. Its easy to get sucked into buying a vehicle for 1% of the time, or the "maybe" situations.

My opinion is likely in the minority, but you will at least have a counterpoint. Good luck.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OBX. I ordered the Black Diamond, and really, have regretted it more days than not. My opinion is likely in the minority, but you will at least have a counterpoint. Good luck.
I agree that you and I will likely be in the minority, I did want to have the rear locker (learned my lesson in a "4x4" Jeep Cherokee), but I also wanted adaptive cruise control and didn't want an MGV interior. So my options became quickly limited, the only question remaining was SAS or not SAS. I couldn't get a 2.7 with a stick under any circumstance. Looking back on it, I did consider the other options, but always ended up in the same place, the OBX advanced 4x4 was the best value for me.

Sticking with the 2.3 advanced 4x4 and losing the tow capability would save you about $2500 and only lose the one pedal trail feature, putting you right in there around 45,500 (compared to my spec). All things considered, that's a tempting package.

OP
OP
Panmort

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OBX. I ordered the Black Diamond, and really, have regretted it more days than not. I have never needed a rear locker, and that's hunting(past tense for me) and driving the roads you mentioned. My Jeep and F150 did just fine without, along with my dads 4WD's that also always handled the job.

I got sucked in by the "might" need thought process. I did like the "look" of the steelies and the MGV seats. Still, the Big Bend is likely what I should have gotten.

I would get the higher trim without the manual and locker. You will be happier in my opinion for 99% of your driving. Its easy to get sucked into buying a vehicle for 1% of the time, or the "maybe" situations.

My opinion is likely in the minority, but you will at least have a counterpoint. Good luck.
I think you hit the nail on the head about getting sucked into the "maybe" aspect of it. At this point I think no rear locker and either BB w/ mid or OBX is where I'm going to land. Just need to change my order, even though I'm likely MY22.

I agree that you and I will likely be in the minority, I did want to have the rear locker (learned my lesson in a "4x4" Jeep Cherokee), but I also wanted adaptive cruise control and didn't want an MGV interior. So my options became quickly limited, the only question remaining was SAS or not SAS. I couldn't get a 2.7 with a stick under any circumstance. Looking back on it, I did consider the other options, but always ended up in the same place, the OBX advanced 4x4 was the best value for me.

Sticking with the 2.3 advanced 4x4 and losing the tow capability would save you about $2500 and only lose the one pedal trail feature, putting you right in there around 45,500 (compared to my spec). All things considered, that's a tempting package.
That is a very enticing package, considering BB w/locker 2.3 put me at about 42,600.

I appreciate y'alls responses, my GF is tired of hearing my back and forth on switching, haha.

Qman68

Outer Banks
First Name
Q
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang V6 prem, 98 Jeep Cherokee LTD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey. BB was my deposit choice. Didn't want leather or MGV. That quickly limited the options. Base, BB, or OBX (due to $$$ didn't bother seeing if the WT offered cloth.)

Wanted ACC. No Lux on base or BB. OBX is left. Choice made for me. Don't like the rims, tires, flairs, seat colours, and a bunch of other stuff.

I prefer the looks of the BB by far over the OBX. If you don't 'need' a rear diff. save the cash.

BUT the Bronco is the best American SUV made...at least is was and we all hope it still is! The original Jeep XJ was great, but the Bronco is it! Size, dimensions, safety, capability and the roof comes off.

I did choose v6 auto advanced with rear diff. The BB came in at $51k (CAD) and the OBX $57 with lux. So 6k for ACC (and everything in between).

This is my last new vehicle. It will go to my son who drives the XJ now. I buy forever. I don't want regrets. I can switch suspensions parts much easier than chipped parts. You may have more time than me, but buy what makes you happy if this is going to be your keeper.
Cheers.

Ford Bronco Considering Manual BB to OBX Switch, Looking for Opinions ima

image.jpeg

Last edited:

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The OBX high ,is the model I NEED, but the interior choices stink, and the body color wheel flares and pedestrian tires have to go. So ,living with the OBX interior, but having to drop an additional $3000-3500 on wheels, tires and wheel flares, I might ss well buy the BL in high ,with the interior I like, and be done with it. I would get the BD , but the significant other has been corrupted by my adult age son, that the 12 inch screek in the dash is a must. Can’t get the 12 inch with the BD. BTW, I read an article today that stated only 1.2 percent of vehicles sold today in the USA are manual. Plus, manuals are being phased out because it costs more to intergrate those transmissions into the safety systems being installed into today’s vehicles. The manufacturers find it not cost effective to design systems solely for manuals. IMO, if the vehicle is going to be a true off road runner, then the base with the SAS is the way to go.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I could get mid package with a manual in the big bend, it'd be a no brainer.
Ah, so much angst could be eliminated if mid w/manual was available across the board. Ford has us right where they want us.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Qman, sounds exactly like my story... If a base 2.7 SAS manual was available with ACC, then I would have purchased that. The 2021 Bronco is also going to be be my last new vehicle purchase for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
Panmort

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Qman68

Outer Banks
First Name
Q
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang V6 prem, 98 Jeep Cherokee LTD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Qman, sounds exactly like my story... If a base 2.7 SAS manual was available with ACC, then I would have purchased that. The 2021 Bronco is also going to be be my last new vehicle purchase for the foreseeable future.
YES. Maybe ur in the same mindset and I look at ACC as a safety item, not a luxury. 20 yrs ago I could do the Toronto Florida run in one shot. Now I do the night driving with wife and sons sharing the duties. Having a safety suite that almost drives itself would be nice. But I understand Ford and not many on this forum like tech. in their trucks, so 'say la vie'.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
YES. Maybe ur in the same mindset and I look at ACC as a safety item, not a luxury. 20 yrs ago I could do the Toronto Florida run in one shot. Now I do the night driving with wife and sons sharing the duties. Having a safety suite that almost drives itself would be nice. But I understand Ford and not many on this forum like tech. in their trucks, so 'say la vie'.
With the Bronco taking forever to appear, and stuck in flat Chicagoland with mostly pavement driving, I ended up buying a used performance car last year. Damn is it fun driving on pavement, in a vehicle meant to excel on pavement. My 4x4s feel like steering boats in comparison.

I'm still at heart a 4x4 guy, at least when near off-road opportunities. Never thought at this stage in life, I'd be installing perf exhausts and subwoofers in a street car. Hurry up Ford, before I transform into a low rent fast and furious!

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been debating manual 2.3 big bend w/ rear locker vs manual 2.3 badlands with mid package. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the big bend. Not likely I'd ever do rough enough offroading to need the badlands suspension or front locker. And I'm pretty sure I can fit 33s on the big bend pretty easily. If I could get mid package with a manual in the big bend, it'd be a no brainer. But, really the only thing I want from the mid package is heated seats, and I could probably add those myself aftermarket.

That probably does nothing to help you with your debate. Ha. OBX isn't on my radar. I actually prefer base models with fewer "bells and whistles" because in my mind that's all just more stuff that will likely break somewhere down the line. I prefer the most mechanically and technologically simple trim that will suit my needs. For me, the big bend seems like the best balance of capability and creature comfort.
👆Amen, brother.👍
Sponsored