Sponsored

Considering selling my Outerbanks and upgrading to the things I wish I did as part of the build

DG666

Outer Banks
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In retrospect, in the excitement to get my Bronco (OBX), I wish I would have gone with the modular bumper, aux switches and the Sasquatch package. I don’t think I realized how limiting not have the modular bumper would be with tons of aftermarket, bolt on options. Also, the Aux switches is so cheap as part of the build vs. after the fact.

Given the resale value of our Broncos, I’m pretty sure I can get all of these upgrades for nearly no incremental cost with a new build

Has anyone done this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
In retrospect, in the excitement to get my Bronco (OBX), I wish I would have gone with the modular bumper, aux switches and the Sasquatch package. I don’t think I realized how limiting not have the modular bumper would be with tons of aftermarket, bolt on options. Also, the Aux switches is so cheap as part of the build vs. after the fact.

Given the resale value of our Broncos, I’m pretty sure I can get all of these upgrades for nearly no incremental cost vs. a new build

Has anyone done this?
Depends, do you have actual real use for those extras? For example, are you having issues off-road, where you need the Sas package to get where you want to go? If it's more a mind trick, then put some larger tires on or whatever and enjoy your OBX.

OrangeBronco22

Outer Banks
First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got an OBX with all those additional things and it has been as capable as any other model Bronco and for the off roading I do. Having said that before you sell yours you can buy a modular bumper ford or aftermarket, lift the Bronco or add aux switches probably for cheaper than getting a new one

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Boy, that's a hard question to answer for you. As OrangeBronco22 said you can buy a modular bumper, I did, my WT came with the capable. You certainly can lift your OBX and buy bigger tires, the aux switches might be harder if you are looking for OEM. I kind of was faced with the same dilemma as you, I had a '21 2 dr OBX that had the 4.27 rear end as the only option, I got it for MSRP back in '21, was the dealers mannequin. My introduction to the Bronco, fell in love but started to think about the things I didn't have. Some of the things like the 2.7 and 2 extra doors were only going to happen with a new Bronco. Fast forward to '23 and now have a fairly loaded 4dr WT, talk about going from extremes in a Bronco. But I got what I wanted and I couldn't be happier. The OBX made me much $$ when I sold it, but that was a different time when used car prices were more jacked up.

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given the resale value of our Broncos, I’m pretty sure I can get all of these upgrades for nearly no incremental cost vs. a new build

Has anyone done this?
Yes. Do it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

DG666

Outer Banks
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Boy, that's a hard question to answer for you. As OrangeBronco22 said you can buy a modular bumper, I did, my WT came with the capable. You certainly can lift your OBX and buy bigger tires, the aux switches might be harder if you are looking for OEM. I kind of was faced with the same dilemma as you, I had a '21 2 dr OBX that had the 4.27 rear end as the only option, I got it for MSRP back in '21, was the dealers mannequin. My introduction to the Bronco, fell in love but started to think about the things I didn't have. Some of the things like the 2.7 and 2 extra doors were only going to happen with a new Bronco. Fast forward to '23 and now have a fairly loaded 4dr WT, talk about going from extremes in a Bronco. But I got what I wanted and I couldn't be happier. The OBX made me much $$ when I sold it, but that was a different time when used car prices were more jacked up.
Appreciate the perspective. I paid MSRP as well ($44K or so before taxes, $48K afterward) and from talking to my dealer today, they'd be willing to pay around $42-$44k for the current OBX. So it feels like I can "upgrade" without really paying significantly more

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a 4 door OBX and traded out for a 2 door BL SAS. The biggest reason for the swap out was, I had been looking for a two door for two years now. Every time I went to order the banks were closed. I found the 4 door on the lot. I figured I could buy it and if I really didn't like the Bronco thing, I am not out a long wait etc.

Before it hit 700 miles I had it off road at Windrocks. The only thing I changed out was the tires, I went with Durtrac's.

I got high centered once and had to be pulled off of it. Other than that it did great.

I now have the BL SAS 2 door and will be heading out this weekend to play in the East TN mud.

I traded the 4 door for almost as much as I paid for it, and got the 2 door for MSRP. I don't think I did to bad on the deal.

All I can say is, give it a shot. The Aux switches I use three of them, two for lights and one for the winch. I have a capable bumper and put a JCR winch plate on it. I also added a tranny skid plate.
Ford Bronco Considering selling my Outerbanks and upgrading to the things I wish I did as part of the build IMG_5508.JPG
Ford Bronco Considering selling my Outerbanks and upgrading to the things I wish I did as part of the build IMG_5271.JPG

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just traded my ‘21 OBX non sas in for a ‘23 Wildtrak. I got tired of trying to make it something that it wasn’t. It was a dumb financial decision but fuck it.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base

Has anyone done this?
The Sasquatch package (front and rear lockers, upgraded front axle, regearing, Billsteen shocks, rims with the correct off-spacing, 35" tires, Sas flares, advance 4wd (standard on OB?)........would not be cheap. I have never heard of anyone actually doing a true replication of the Sas package on this site.

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Appreciate the perspective. I paid MSRP as well ($44K or so before taxes, $48K afterward) and from talking to my dealer today, they'd be willing to pay around $42-$44k for the current OBX. So it feels like I can "upgrade" without really paying significantly more
Do they have the vehicle on the lot that you'd buy? If you need to order and wait for it then your trade in price would almost certainly be a good bit lower when the vehicle comes in. If you sell it to them today then you're not only without it, I'm betting you lose out on any tax credit from trade in.

Either way, I don't think you can get the 'upgrade' Bronco close to the $44k there, aren't you going to be in the mid 50s at current pricing?

Sponsored

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From what it sounds like you aren't looking a Bronco that is on lot. If you are going to order one why not put in the order and you can always wait till it gets built and decide then. If resale drops on your Bronco and you feel it isn't a good deal anymore than take a pass. It's not like the dealer won't be able to sell it and probably with some ADM.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just traded my ‘21 OBX non sas in for a ‘23 Wildtrak. I got tired of trying to make it something that it wasn’t. It was a dumb financial decision but fuck it.
Well, the WildTrak is nice, but I would have made an interior swap part of the deal.

Personally, the only regret I have with my 2021 OBX is the aux switches - added Badlands non-sasquatch suspension and the HOSS 3.0 steering rack. My 2023 OBX has aux switches, but I still need to retrofit adaptive cruise control and install the Sasquatch suspension on it.

I simply don't wheel hard enough to justify a front locker, YET (although I have the FDU and rear 4.7 gears sitting in the garage in preparation for that day).

I am betting you are loving the WildTrak.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice fobs, but you still didn't share pics of the WT. ;)

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Trade it in for what you want. You are already debating it. It's true, you may never use front lockers, or any of the other bonuses of the Sas but it is nice to have in case you ever if need it. I have a very large tool collection in which 15% of the tools I have never used, but I have what I need to do the job if I ever need to. Hell I have never used a spare tire, but I not removing it just because I probably will never use it.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Sasquatch package (front and rear lockers, upgraded front axle, regearing, Billsteen shocks, rims with the correct off-spacing, 35" tires, Sas flares, advance 4wd (standard on OB?)........would not be cheap. I have never heard of anyone actually doing a true replication of the Sas package on this site.
Provided you are starting with an OBX that has the advanced 4x4 transfer case.

Gears, FDU, axles were $1500 (lightly used)
Bilstein shocks/springs $500 (lightly used)
HOSS 3.0 steering rack $1300 (new)
Rims 17x9 +30 $1250 (new)
Sasquatch Tires $1270 (new from Ford dealer)
Fender Flare Kit $555 (New, Ford Accessories)

There you go. Add $2000 for labor and misc (very generous).

All in, $9500 or DIY $7500.

Now, DIY could have 95% of the capability just by forgoing the front locker and gears for $6k. That also assumes that you recoup $0 on the removed parts.

Edit: neglected to add FORSCAN and OBD-II adapter - $50
Sponsored