Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy HHR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They do limit travel. Do you think the entire 3" section he removed compressed down into nothing?

What is a jounce bumper?

Part of a vehicle's shock absorber system, the jounce bumper is designed to absorb impact and dampen noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) by preventing the metal shock absorber spring from fully compacting during shock impacts due to potholes, curb and objects in the road.
Sponsored

cjindna

Base
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 4 door 2.3l 10spd
Your Bronco Model
Base
@BigMeatsBronco, first off thank you for doing the exploratory work and sharing your findings of the forum!

After doing some similar work on the front this evening I have a couple of questions.

As for what I have done, I am running 315 Nitto TGs which are noticeably taller than the OE Goodyears. I added a 1” Zone lift to the front and while tackling this broke the spring/shock down and cycled the suspension stuff to droop and lock to lock. With my findings, I removed 0.8” from the top of the bump (solid portion) and 1” from the bottom (compression portion) which gained me 1.6” of travel and just keeps the 315’s off the inner fender liner front and rear of the wheel well.

Questions - are you seeing coil bind at full stuff with your setup?

Also, I think you mentioned the idea of using one of the Zone top 3/16” top spacers on the rear. Can you confirm that the shock tops are identical front and rear? (Sorry for the lazy question here as I’d like to have parts in hand before I pull it apart)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks that looks decent! HOWEVER it's not right for the Bronco...heres the stock factory front diff mount.

20220309_204550.jpg

20220309_204544.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@BigMeatsBronco, first off thank you for doing the exploratory work and sharing your findings of the forum!

After doing some similar work on the front this evening I have a couple of questions.

As for what I have done, I am running 315 Nitto TGs which are noticeably taller than the OE Goodyears. I added a 1” Zone lift to the front and while tackling this broke the spring/shock down and cycled the suspension stuff to droop and lock to lock. With my findings, I removed 0.8” from the top of the bump (solid portion) and 1” from the bottom (compression portion) which gained me 1.6” of travel and just keeps the 315’s off the inner fender liner front and rear of the wheel well.

Questions - are you seeing coil bind at full stuff with your setup?

Also, I think you mentioned the idea of using one of the Zone top 3/16” top spacers on the rear. Can you confirm that the shock tops are identical front and rear? (Sorry for the lazy question here as I’d like to have parts in hand before I pull it apart)

Glad you are trying this out too! Keep us posted on your findings.

No spring bind yet ,BUT I do suspect the spring binds BEFORE the shocks piston...this is likely on purpose by design.

Yes the mounts are the identical 3 bolt front and rear. So any spacer for the front will work on the rear.

Last edited:

MileHighWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The question was to the OP. He’s stated in the thread a couple of times that the bump stops don’t need to be that large.

The question is: If the bump stops don’t need to be that large, why did Ford make them that large?
The short answer is that the bump stops DO need to be that large. Bump stops (called a jounce bumper in OEM world) are designed to progressively 'catch' the suspension as it comes up during a hard bump event, and any of the components in the suspension going metal on metal and destroying themselves.. The jounce bumper prevents coil bind, shock piston bottoming, contact between a-arm and frame, etc.

The most obvious case is if the vehicle is jumped, but you can get bump events as hard, or harder, on the suspension from things like big potholes or curbs.

The bit about the suspension sitting on the bump stops at ride height is BS. That's only the case if something is bent or broken. What OP is missing in all his math is that the rate of the bump stop isn't selected based on the the static weight or corner loading of the suspension; it's selected based on worst-case suspension loads. When you Bronco hits a big rock, curb, or pothole at speed, the actual force applied to the wheel can be literally 10 times higher than the wheel loading when it's parked. That's why the jounce bumpers are big. It has nothing to do with preventing rollover or controlling ride height.

If you're building a dedicated rock crawler, and you have the money to fix all the stuff you're going to break, sure. Cut the bump stops. For anyone using their vehicle as a daily driver, this is not a great idea.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The short answer is that the bump stops DO need to be that large. Bump stops (called a jounce bumper in OEM world) are designed to progressively 'catch' the suspension as it comes up during a hard bump event, and any of the components in the suspension going metal on metal and destroying themselves.. The jounce bumper prevents coil bind, shock piston bottoming, contact between a-arm and frame, etc.

The most obvious case is if the vehicle is jumped, but you can get bump events as hard, or harder, on the suspension from things like big potholes or curbs.

The bit about the suspension sitting on the bump stops at ride height is BS. That's only the case if something is bent or broken. What OP is missing in all his math is that the rate of the bump stop isn't selected based on the the static weight or corner loading of the suspension; it's selected based on worst-case suspension loads. When you Bronco hits a big rock, curb, or pothole at speed, the actual force applied to the wheel can be literally 10 times higher than the wheel loading when it's parked. That's why the jounce bumpers are big. It has nothing to do with preventing rollover or controlling ride height.

If you're building a dedicated rock crawler, and you have the money to fix all the stuff you're going to break, sure. Cut the bump stops. For anyone using their vehicle as a daily driver, this is not a great idea.
Actually your dead wrong about manufacturers setting up suspension sitting on the bump stops, it is this exact observation that cause me to come up with the idea in the first place. And I'm NOT just talking about ford here GM and isuzu has been doing this for years. And other manufacturers as well, since you obviously haven't seen what I'm talking about go crawl under a stock GM full size truck nearly any 2000s will do and look at the big yellow bumper ....My H3 had these under the front A arms and I removed them, (as have many others) and put many hard miles down with zero issues. Also had 4 Vehicross that had the same manufacturer *defect* on the rear axle. The bump stops are literally 1/4" away at stock height. So I shaved half of them off as well. 300,000 plus super hard Baja type miles that included lots and lots of jumps, again with ZERO issues.

Those of us that have some time in the off road world know plenty of rigs with shaved bumps, this ain't anything new and it's not rocket science.
Clearly the only BS here is in your post!

Screenshot_20220416-194515_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-194932_Chrome~2.jpg

Last edited:

DoYouBronco

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hpbuilt.shop
Vehicle(s)
Gen2 Raptor Midtravel / TowRunner F250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
im running a rag 2.25 perch collar in the front with stock 315 tires and when I found the limits in the desert, my tires compressed all the ay into the fenders so hard that it dented them.

I feel there is a need for a top hat spacer if you plan on fully stuffing any size tire, even stock. can't imagine how much damage would beef I was running 37s.

MileHighWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
long post
None of those jounce bumpers in your photos are touching anything… and that second photo is an aftermarket poly bump stop…. Not a stock one. Try again.

‘300,000 SUPER HARD Baja type miles’

lol ok dude.

Ultimately, it’s your rig. Do what you want to do.

Last edited:

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Actually your dead wrong about manufacturers setting up suspension sitting on the bump stops, it is this exact observation that cause me to come up with the idea in the first place. And I'm NOT just talking about ford here GM and isuzu has been doing this for years. And other manufacturers as well, since you obviously haven't seen what I'm talking about go crawl under a stock GM full size truck nearly any 2000s will do and look at the big yellow bumper ....My H3 had these under the front A arms and I removed them, (as have many others) and put many hard miles down with zero issues. Also had 4 Vehicross that had the same manufacturer *defect* on the rear axle. The bump stops are literally 1/4" away at stock height. So I shaved half of them off as well. 300,000 plus super hard Baja type miles that included lots and lots of jumps, again with ZERO issues.

Those of us that have some time in the off road world know plenty of rigs with shaved bumps, this ain't anything new and it's not rocket science.
Clearly the only BS here is in your post!

Ford Bronco Cut Sasquatch bump stops for 2”+ additional wheel travel and shock length -- pics Screenshot_20220416-194932_Chrome~2

Ford Bronco Cut Sasquatch bump stops for 2”+ additional wheel travel and shock length -- pics Screenshot_20220416-194932_Chrome~2
You’re right, it’s not rocket science….it’s engineering

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You’re right, it’s not rocket science….it’s engineering
The problem is most automotive engineers never go off road or puts the math to a real world test. They are designing the bumps for "worst case scenario" impacts...to save the parts and the liability of broken parts. Over- engineered parts to protect bilstein and ford.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

None of those jounce bumpers in your photos are touching anything… and that second photo is an aftermarket poly bump stop…. Not a stock one. Try again.

‘300,000 SUPER HARD Baja type miles’

lol ok dude.

Ultimately, it’s your rig. Do what you want to do.
Yep went through 2 engines and 3 transmission 7 sets of tires, but not one blown shock! Again if you actually look this up on Google or any of the hardcore wheeling forums, you'll see shaved bumps are quite normal.

Those pictures are just an example and I chose them because the bumps are different colors and easy for the non-mechanic to see.

Let me know when you get your Bronco and I'll let you know when I blow a shock!

MileHighWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The problem is most automotive engineers never go off road or puts the math to a real world test. They are designing the bumps for "worst case scenario" impacts...to save the parts and the liability of broken parts. Over- engineered parts to protect bilstein and ford.
Its hilarious that you think vehicles don’t get tested

MileHighWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Again if you actually look this up on Google or any of the hardcore wheeling forums, you'll see shaved bumps are quite normal
……. I never said this has never been done before. I said it’s a bad idea for a daily driver, which is 99.99999999% of this forum’s membership.
Sponsored