Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After installing the coilovers with the new tiny bumps, I took it around the block to the loading ramp I use to check flex and articulation....

The result is an additional 2”+ of COMPRESSION travel!!!

I'm running 37s for now and my goal is to stuff 38s in there this summer. So I need about an additional 1.5” of clearance between the top of the tire and fender lip (where the flairs attach). With the shaved bump stops this would make my 37s kiss the fenders during full compression. I don't want that so...

I used fabtech leveling 1.5 ” kit on the top of the shock mount with the RC spacer at the bottom of the shock mount. This gives me about 2.5” additional ride height in the front. It also allows the suspension to droop additional the same 2.5”...

Since the bump stops are shorter now, my compressed ”gap between tire and fender flair” amount is the SAME as before these mods. I still have 1” gap between tire and fender under FULL compression. But now have 2.5” more droop.

So the overall gain was very close to 2” of front wheel travel!!! And 2” + in ride height.

My front wheel travel now measures over 11” !!!😀

I'll be removing the rear bump stops and shaving them today or tomorrow and re-drilling the lower shock mount on the rear axle 1.5” higher. This will lift the rear to match the front AND will also allow the rear to compress to the same position it is now. (About 2” gap under full compression w/37s)

I do realize the new short bump stops might not have enough bumper to protect the shocks from damage if the truck was jumped or bajaed through the whoops, but for the next few months I'm just doing slow speed rock crawling.
I'm just trying a few things out with the stock SAS suspension while waiting for the Fun Runner long travel setup to be released. So some of this is temporary.
Interesting find and mod! I was amazed at the bottoming resistance and how well my Badlands handles when it does hit the bump stops. For my use, I wouldn’t remove them, but it reveals a lot of good information for sure.
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the tires need to be that big why didn't the OEM make them that big? If you suspension travel needs to be that big why didn't the OEM make it that big? If you need the sway bar disconnected why did the OEM include a sway bar. The list goes on, first of all the OEM can not and does not create a perfect vehicle, secondly the OEM can not and does not perfectly optimize every attribute to every use case. There are dozens of reasons why the OEM chose this bump stop size and there are a dozen more reasons why the performance could be improved in one way to the detriment of another by changing the size and geometry of the bump stop, like OP has already stated.

You guys don't need to do this mod, and certainly it shouldn't be recommended if you are planning on regular high speed off-roading as OP has pointed out.

If I was going to say anything critical right now it would be a slight doubt toward OP's claim of 11" of travel. Certainly possible but I would like to see this measured properly, and also see an RTI or CTI score. Good job though OP, I think this is useful information, at the very least it shows the benefit of dynamic hydraulic bump stops over passive rubber/foam ones.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can I see this? I am curious how this was achieved since there is a crossmember less than 1" away directly under the diff. The steering gear should also be considered. Since I assume you didn't move that you will have increased stress there when one axle is at full droop, and potentially some bump steer issues.
Here's some pics...you can measure yours and do the math for yourself.
Steering is next on the list, asap, before 38s or 40s.

20220304_073848.jpg

20220304_073834.jpg

20220304_073733.jpg

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If the tires need to be that big why didn't the OEM make them that big? If you suspension travel needs to be that big why didn't the OEM make it that big? If you need the sway bar disconnected why did the OEM include a sway bar. The list goes on, first of all the OEM can not and does not create a perfect vehicle, secondly the OEM can not and does not perfectly optimize every attribute to every use case. There are dozens of reasons why the OEM chose this bump stop size and there are a dozen more reasons why the performance could be improved in one way to the detriment of another by changing the size and geometry of the bump stop, like OP has already stated.

You guys don't need to do this mod, and certainly it shouldn't be recommended if you are planning on regular high speed off-roading as OP has pointed out.

If I was going to say anything critical right now it would be a slight doubt toward OP's claim of 11" of travel. Certainly possible but I would like to see this measured properly, and also see an RTI or CTI score. Good job though OP, I think this is useful information, at the very least it shows the benefit of dynamic hydraulic bump stops over passive rubber/foam ones.
Here's some pics of the front static ride height (37x12.5x17)
Compressed and extension.

You can see how much travel.

6-3/4 compression
4-1/4 extension
11” travel

20220305_183014.jpg

20220305_190534.jpg

20220305_190354.jpg

20220305_190458.jpg

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

And here's a few more pics of the rear.

My 2dr FE is 5240 lbs with me sitting in it and only a 1/2 tank of fuel. Nothing else but a hi-lift jack.
So I loaded up a few things to make it weight 5500 exactly to simulation.
An extr 260 lbs for passenger and cargo...then went to my nearest obstacles to measure and snap pics.

I can get the rear to compress slightly more by standing on the rear corner of the bumper about 1 more inch than pictured.

13”+ of travel.

Here's the pic of the rear suspension.

Static ride height

Compressed

Extended

20220305_183103.jpg

20220305_191639.jpg

20220305_190014.jpg

20220305_190028.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like over stressing the factory front end components, another reason for Ford introducing the model Raptor. Ford has done all the testing and resolved weaker issues. not criticizing your ambitions , and good luck.:cool:
Before working for an OEM I would have done what the OP has done, but now that I see and test fail points on pre-production and production vehicles I've changed my thought process.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Judging by the state of your vehicle if anybody is going to find the failure points, it’s you OP. Keep up the good work and let us know how things go (even if they go wrong).

From Fords perspective everything is a compromise. They have to balance cost, regulations, etc. To me the fact that these rigs are so capable from the factory, while also so nice to daily is amazing. 99% of us will not need 38’s and more articulation. But we also need the 1%ers like the OP to push the limits. I’m not going to cut my stops, but Godspeed to ya buddy!! 🥃

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Judging by the state of your vehicle if anybody is going to find the failure points, it’s you OP. Keep up the good work and let us know how things go (even if they go wrong).

From Fords perspective everything is a compromise. They have to balance cost, regulations, etc. To me the fact that these rigs are so capable from the factory, while also so nice to daily is amazing. 99% of us will not need 38’s and more articulation. But we also need the 1%ers like the OP to push the limits. I’m not going to cut my stops, but Godspeed to ya buddy!! 🥃
Yeah its a bit dirty after a 200 mile run on bumpy gravel roads, and a few trails to test the suspension out. Going back out today with some weight in it for a few more flex tests.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Before working for an OEM I would have done what the OP has done, but now that I see and test fail points on pre-production and production vehicles I've changed my thought process.
You better keep yours bone stock then buddy since OEM knows best. 😉

danimalbronco

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base 4 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just my .02, the bump stops height is determined by several factors including the ball joints max angles…shearing one on a IFS vehicle is no fun. Biggest thing is to keep the control arms, CV axles, tie rods all on the same plane so they move in sequence together.

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You better keep yours bone stock then buddy since OEM knows best. 😉
For the most part I planned on it 😘 hence the Sasquatch package on our Badlands 💁🏻‍♂️ spend some time with an OEM ... it certainly changed my opinion on what I should and should not modify.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ranger diff drop is a great idea! Who sells those? The RC diff-drop was a joke 5/8 ” max 😠 ....I had to cut and reweld their junk frt diff bracket and build my own for the rear mount. Not much room under there.

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah its a bit dirty after a 200 mile run on bumpy gravel roads, and a few trails to test the suspension out.
Ford Bronco Cut Sasquatch bump stops for 2”+ additional wheel travel and shock length -- pics 1646678890612

I always end up with dirt in my eyes, so I got one of these to help clean before I work on my vehicles. It works great!
Sponsored