First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a lot of negatives to EVs, cost, range, cold weather and so on. But few people talk about resale. If after 8-10 years the battery needs to be replaced and the cost is $20-30K, how much is a 7 year old EV worth? Practically zero. When you factor that in, and the cost of electricity, and the original cost, EVs are really expensive. And, by the way, you really aren't saving the planet.
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There are a lot of negatives to EVs, cost, range, cold weather and so on. But few people talk about resale. If after 8-10 years the battery needs to be replaced and the cost is $20-30K, how much is a 7 year old EV worth? Practically zero. When you factor that in, and the cost of electricity, and the original cost, EVs are really expensive. And, by the way, you really aren't saving the planet.
Some counterpoints:
Batteries are expensive because of limited cell production-that should improve over rest of this decade as more cell production comes online

How many batteries actually need to be replaced after 8-10 years? There will be some degradation as time goes on, but batteries are overbuilt to compensate for that. The 8-10 year guideline is like saying an ICE engine will fail and need replacing after 150K miles...there are so many other variables at play.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some counterpoints:
Batteries are expensive because of limited cell production-that should improve over rest of this decade as more cell production comes online

How many batteries actually need to be replaced after 8-10 years? There will be some degradation as time goes on, but batteries are overbuilt to compensate for that. The 8-10 year guideline is like saying an ICE engine will fail and need replacing after 150K miles...there are so many other variables at play.
Well I am not willing to bet on batteries coming down a lot in price. Will the new cheaper batteries fit in a 8-10 year old vehicle? Will a used car buyer bet that the batteries will last longer than 8 years and so pay a higher price? I don't intend on buying one, and I only bring up these points for people to think about before they jump into an EV. I have no stake in the game and this is my opinion. Your crystal ball may be better than mine.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also might point out that these same thoughts were shared with me by three dealers I have talked to. My only suggestion, if you want an EV is to lease one, a closed end lease that you can walk away from. So if things go south, you will be safe. Again, my 2 cents.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I also might point out that these same thoughts were shared with me by three dealers I have talked to. My only suggestion, if you want an EV is to lease one, a closed end lease that you can walk away from. So if things go south, you will be safe. Again, my 2 cents.
If I was buying one today I'd agree with you on that...too many things that can happen in the next 5 years or so that would make keeping an EV not the best idea due it being out of date because of improvements in charging tech or better batteries.

I wouldn't trust any dealership giving advice because it will be completely skewed to their benefit. EVs are a threat to the way they are doing business and well after many peoples' experiences here, why would you even consider that.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly, most people buy vehicles for the image. I have an older mother in law that drives a rediculous fancy red porsche "because I always had to drive a suburban." She's not racing Laguna Seca on the weekends.

Most rubicons, raptors, TRXs, and broncos in my area have never and will never see dirt. So why do folks bag on these people? Because it makes them feel better about themselves.

Last time I checked it's still a free country and you can spend your $$$ on whatever the hell vehicle you want and be PROUD of it! At the end of the day you worked your ass off and didn't steal a dollar, so be proud of what you accomplished and what you drive whether it cost $100K or $1k. My first vehicle was a blue 90GT 5.0 hatch back with 105k on the clock that cost me $3,500 which I paid for by making sandwiches and scrubbing toilets. I was damn proud to drive that thing back home, so proud I put 6 coats of wax on it when I drove it into the driveway.
As you mentioned, people can spend money as they desire. But I'm a big advocate of doing real things, and spending accordingly. Personally I wouldn't buy a Bronco to sit on the sidelines and daydream about using the functionalities. I just don't get the allure of that. We're all different though, some folks are quite risk averse, but if able I'd encourage people to have some adventures in their Broncos.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I once pulled up next to a Tesla at a stop light in my trans am. The cocky Tesla driver yelled “race you to the next stop light for a grand!”

I yelled back “I’ll race you to las Angeles for 100 grand!”

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

When a Fire Apparatus and equip mfg uses the following in their brochure, it kind of makes one wonder " Facing an electric vehicle fire in your community is not a matter of if, but when. Rosenbauer has the safest, most efficient way to respond to this call when it comes. "

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I once pulled up next to a Tesla at a stop light in my trans am. The cocky Tesla driver yelled “race you to the next stop light for a grand!”

I would race any tesla from Portland to Salt Lake for pinks. Two rules 1) can't go more than 5 mph over the posted speed limit 2) can't be towed or flat-bedded.

Sponsored

DarthLincoln

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 BMW M coupe, 2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have seen the Hagerty video with Jason Cammisa testing the Cybertruck

then you should also watch this detailed post-test interview on Carmudgeon:

I hate Musk and would never own a Tesla. Jason admits that Musk is a man-child douchebag with racist tendencies, but has to concede that the engineers did some amazing things. I still hate Musk, and I would never buy a Cyberturd, but if you can ignore the design and its negative impact on usability, the engineers did some amazing things. I would never buy it, but I would love to test-drive it.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

When a chevy bolt can almost keep up with my 2017 gt at 6000 feet, they do have something going for them. I've tried keeping up with teslas. From a dead stop I don't even have a chance.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

LOL, I didn't want to introduce physics and lose some in the explanation. Clearly someone traveling 20 - 50mph over the speed limit has no grasp on physics.
It's like there is no such thing as a bad landing for an airplane.

If you have not already, you need to experience I76 from Julesburg to Fort Morgan in Colorado. 104 miles of open highway where you can (not legally of course) test your Bronco's "speed" limiter without fear of physics getting in the way.
Sponsored