First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And people told me I was 100% crazy and wrong when I said in my accessories video that programming costs $300-$350… :cautious:

- - -

Anyway… @fresnobrianb try a licensed locksmith.

Many locksmiths stay away from vehicles because the cost to obtain the equipment and necessary access is too high compared to the amount of work it brings in for them. But some locksmiths will do car programming.

But also don’t be surprised if you don’t find anyone. Only one out of the 8 locksmiths within 100 miles of me will program cars. And even if you do find one, I doubt many will be willing to wonder into a dealer parking lot and program a vehicle for you.
Bummer for the OP

h/t to @RagnarKon for his fob programming tip. I now have a third fob safely locked away at home.
Sponsored

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Try a locksmith. They might not have dealer prices, nor ford oem parts.

58james

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just took delivery of my 2024 wildtrak and was quoted $550 for one fob with laser cut key , I purchased 2 oem fobs with uncut keys for $180 online but still getting quotes of $75 -90 to cut the key which if I can't find it cheaper I probably won't get done

JC2DR

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 2dr 2.3 7speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's a bad spot. I had 2 and bought the third fob and key that goes with it, I programed the fob myself (with the other 2) and had the key cut at the dealer. The whole thing cost about $100.
Always better to have three. I take 2 on long trips, stashing one in my bags so if I lose the one I'm using, I still get home and then just have to make the third.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You said they were stolen, file a claim with your insurance depending on your deductible it might cover some portion.

Sponsored

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't help but wander if you bought the fobs through the dealer if the programming charge wouldn't be less.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup. Sounds about right.

Doesn't mean I agree - but yeah, that's the roughly the going dealer rate for programming new fobs

If you had 2 in your possession, you could program them for free in the Bronco and only pay about $45 for the fob. But it requires 2 pre-programmed ones to do so.
Wait, so are you saying I can buy an extra now for $45, then somehow program it myself as a spare?

I may just do that and keep it in my faraday box. That’s brilliant!

straycatboat

Base
First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Base
My dealer charged 1 hour labor $230 and hid the truck for 50 minutes so I could not complain that it took the tech 10 minutes, not an hour

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got a spare key for my 2010 Chevy pickup a few years ago at Lowes and the guy doing the key was in a foul mood. Really seemed like he didn't want to be there. Didn't really seem to know what he was doing. Finally get the key, buy it and am walking to my truck in the back of the parking lot.

I hear someone yelling and turn around to see what's going on. I have the key out and am maybe 30ft from trying it. Another Lowes employee is running after me, waving. I stop, they tell me don't use the key! Ok, what's going on? Oh, it has something in the key that has to be programmed or you'll lock your truck and have to tow it to the dealer. "We can't program your key, come in for a refund. Bob doesn't know what he's doing."

So I go to the dealer and the $12 key (which seemed kinda pricey at the time) is now $110. Nice!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Sponsored

JBKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

$350 for two sounds like a deal to me. Though, I bought my Bronco used, and it only came with one fob and I wanted a spare. I found a locksmith in one of the local FB groups that charged me $300 for one fob, key cutting, and the programming. I did that though because my dealers wanted $400 for one fob.

Of course, the guy that sold me the Bronco found the second key fob literally the same day I got the key from the locksmith. As a result, I now have three keys, so now one of them lives in a safe with the spare key for my wife's car.

FWIW, I need to pickup a spare key for my daughter's car, an older 2013 Dodge. Even a replacement fob from somewhere like Ace Hardware is still over $200. I really miss the days of just going to Kmart w/ $2 to get some spare keys cut…

Mkass

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had my only key stolen during a work trip. Bought 2 OEM fobs online. Towed truck to dealer to get them programmed and was quoted $350 in labor. I can’t imagine this is more than an hours work. Thoughts?
my son had to have his 2016 chevy fab programed. 140.00 at a independent

ADK23

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Had my only key stolen during a work trip. Bought 2 OEM fobs online. Towed truck to dealer to get them programmed and was quoted $350 in labor. I can’t imagine this is more than an hours work. Thoughts?
If that’s the dealership, you bought your Bronco from that seems excessive and still excessive if it’s from a dealer that you did not buy your Bronco from! Additionally, it should not take one hour to program those keys, 15 minutes max. I could see a flat rate for a customer of $50. No way $350 that is taking advantage of the customer.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OP
OP
fresnobrianb

fresnobrianb

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
$350 for two sounds like a deal to me. Though, I bought my Bronco used, and it only came with one fob and I wanted a spare. I found a locksmith in one of the local FB groups that charged me $300 for one fob, key cutting, and the programming. I did that though because my dealers wanted $400 for one fob.

Of course, the guy that sold me the Bronco found the second key fob literally the same day I got the key from the locksmith. As a result, I now have three keys, so now one of them lives in a safe with the spare key for my wife's car.

FWIW, I need to pickup a spare key for my daughter's car, an older 2013 Dodge. Even a replacement fob from somewhere like Ace Hardware is still over $200. I really miss the days of just going to Kmart w/ $2 to get some spare keys cut…
They are telling me they have to wipe the whole system so even if I find my other key, it will no longer work. Also, as I mentioned I purchased the fob’s myself, so the $350 doesn’t include them. I had a locksmith come out first, and called several, they all said they could no do it. Something about the software not being available. They could only do Sport’s. I’m going to try and negotiate my dealer down.
Sponsored