Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are telling me they have to wipe the whole system so even if I find my other key, it will no longer work. Also, as I mentioned I purchased the fob’s myself, so the $350 doesn’t include them. I had a locksmith come out first, and called several, they all said they could no do it. Something about the software not being available. They could only do Sport’s. I’m going to try and negotiate my dealer down.
Maybe call around to a few dealerships in the general area first. Not saying you have to go to them, but if you get a few prices you could go back to your dealership and ask if they'll match the lower price. They don't need to know you have no intention of driving out to the other locations.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fresnobrianb

fresnobrianb

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If that’s the dealership, you bought your Bronco from that seems excessive and still excessive if it’s from a dealer that you did not buy your Bronco from! Additionally, it should not take one hour to program those keys, 15 minutes max. I could see a flat rate for a customer of $50. No way $350 that is taking advantage of the customer.
It is the dealership I bought it from, and it was the first one they delivered. Can you (or anyone) confirm from knowledge the amount of time it should take to program 2 keys? They say they have to wipe the whole system so that the old keys wouldn’t work if found. I could see that taking longer, but also being optional in case your want them to be different. Certainly seems like they should be able to program the key to any existing car/code.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ducati1098 noticed in the instructions this was for passive anti-theft equipped vehicles. Does the procedure change at all if you installed the OEM Perimeter Plus alarm?
Nope not at all. The procedure will still be the same.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nope not at all. The procedure will still be the same.
Thanks. Will attempt once I procure another key. Strangely for all of the vehicles I have owned previously, 2 keys was always enough. With the Bronco and all of the smarts, I now crave a 3rd...

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is the dealership I bought it from, and it was the first one they delivered. Can you (or anyone) confirm from knowledge the amount of time it should take to program 2 keys? They say they have to wipe the whole system so that the old keys wouldn’t work if found. I could see that taking longer, but also being optional in case your want them to be different. Certainly seems like they should be able to program the key to any existing car/code.
Honestly??.... about 20-30 minutes if I'm taking my time. Usually it takes more time to find the vehicle on the lot (can't do the old "panic button locator" trick with no fob ;) ), hook up the laptop, and do the paperwork than it does to actually program the vehicle.

They are correct that they need to wipe the entire PATS system before programming the new key, but that's only a few extra button clicks and a bunch of waiting for FDRS to do it's thing.

Most dealerships charge in either 30 minute or 1 hour increments for labor, with 1 hour increments probably being more common nowadays. And obviously the cost of labor will vary widely based on where in the country/state you are. At my local dealer it costs around $350 to buy and program a brand new fob with a cut emergency key. So the fact they are charging you $350 for just the programming step does strike me as a little high... but it's not so catastrophically high that it raises huge red flags for me.

Fundamentally the problem you have is this: It will probably cost more money to have the vehicle towed to a different dealer that charges less than it would be just to have this dealer program the vehicle. So unless you can find a locksmith that's willing to march onto a dealer lot... you're probably stuck.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
fresnobrianb

fresnobrianb

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly??.... about 20-30 minutes if I'm taking my time. Usually it takes more time to find the vehicle on the lot (can't do the old "panic button locator" trick with no fob ;) ), hook up the laptop, and do the paperwork than it does to actually program the vehicle.

They are correct that they need to wipe the entire PATS system before programming the new key, but that's only a few extra button clicks and a bunch of waiting for FDRS to do it's thing.

Most dealerships charge in either 30 minute or 1 hour increments for labor, with 1 hour increments probably being more common nowadays. And obviously the cost of labor will vary widely based on where in the country you are. At my local dealer it costs around $350 to buy and program a brand new fob with a cut emergency key. So the fact they are charging you $350 for just the programming step does strike me as a little high... but it's not so catastrophically high that it raises huge red flags for me.

Fundamentally the problem you have is this: It will probably cost more money to have the vehicle towed to a different dealer that charges less than it would be just to have this dealer program the vehicle. So unless you can find a locksmith that's willing to march onto a dealer lot... you're probably stuck.
Thanks man. Agree with your analysis, but I’m gonna talk to the service manager and use this info to get him to come down on their quote. They couldn’t do it yesterday anyway, said they didn’t have any techs who knew how cause they just do maintenance on Saturdays, so they had to keep it till tomorrow. I’ll call in the AM and talk him down.

Disconected

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had my only key stolen during a work trip. Bought 2 OEM fobs online. Towed truck to dealer to get them programmed and was quoted $350 in labor. I can’t imagine this is more than an hours work. Thoughts?
I lost one of my fobs and was Quoted just under $600 and they have to order lol so I’m still waiting

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I lost one of my fobs and was Quoted just under $600 and they have to order lol so I’m still waiting
As insurance, I bought a non-OEM key off eBay for around $20, and cloned it myself using instructions provided by forum members. It was surprisingly easy, cloning worked first try.

Oddly the other day, one of my OEM fobs stopped working. Now it's working again. I'm glad I setup that 3rd fob just in case the OEM fob flakes out or one of my kids lose a fob.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want to program them yourself and have a tool to do future diag and module updates then buy a $120 VXdiag tool on amazon. You can get a 2 day license to FDRS for $50.

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just took delivery of my 2024 wildtrak and was quoted $550 for one fob with laser cut key , I purchased 2 oem fobs with uncut keys for $180 online but still getting quotes of $75 -90 to cut the key which if I can't find it cheaper I probably won't get done
Here’s an alternative for those who want to add a cut key at a reasonable cost. I bought a blank key online, but I couldn’t find anyone to cut it. The hardware stores did not have the right equipment for the newer keys and the locksmith/dealers insisted on only using blanks purchased through them. I ordered another blank on eBay for $10 and sent the seller a picture of my existing cut key. They were able to cut it before they shipped it to me. It works just fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235289962390

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want to program them yourself and have a tool to do future diag and module updates then buy a $120 VXdiag tool on amazon. You can get a 2 day license to FDRS for $50.
You need more than just FDRS and an interface to program the key—only specific people (generally speaking, dealerships and licensed locksmiths) have the necessary login credentials to preform the necessary steps.

Otherwise people would just be walking around with a laptop, a FDRS license, and a cheap interface stealing Fords all day.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You need more than just FDRS and an interface to program the key—only specific people (generally speaking, dealerships and licensed locksmiths) have the necessary login credentials to preform the necessary steps.

Otherwise people would just be walking around with a laptop, a FDRS license, and a cheap interface stealing Fords all day.
Thats not my experience. I have been fully able to access all PATS functions with the above. To access PATS functions there is a 10 minute security timeout that has to expire before you can do anything.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thats not my experience. I have been fully able to access all PATS functions with the above. To access PATS functions there is a 10 minute security timeout that has to expire before you can do anything.
Not for any newer vehicle. Things have changed.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just make sure you now spend 30-50 bucks for 2 more FOBS... and do the programming yourself.

One of the 1st things I did after both daughter and I bought Broncos was to ensure we each had one extra key that we programmed ourselves (since we have each two good FOBS). Didn't even worry about getting the key cut on the new FOB... Just wanted the programming ability (again) if I lost one of the originals.

Now if I lose one of the originals... then maybe I'll worry about getting the keys cut, but at this point its all just to avoid the dealer robbing us.
Sponsored