Sponsored

Dealership gaslighting me about tailgate rattle (and excessive wind noise)

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They're telling me the wind noise is normal and nothing to

The tailgate they took apart at my insistence and found a cracked spot weld. They ordered a new tailgate which is on backorder. Still waiting for it to come in.
Would think if the wind noise was normal, it would do it at all 4 doors. Mine is only back passenger
Sponsored

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s disappointing to hear of all the people with the tailgate rattle noise. My brand new 2 door with 300 miles has it as well.

charkey18

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They're telling me the wind noise is normal and nothing to do.

The tailgate they took apart at my insistence and found a cracked spot weld. They ordered a new tailgate which is on backorder. Still waiting for it to come in.
Was your ford dealer able to get this part in and installed? Did it fix the rattle?

OP
OP
tambrico

tambrico

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Niner Air 9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would think if the wind noise was normal, it would do it at all 4 doors. Mine is only back passenger

Agreed. Mine is back passenger as well.

Sponsored

Nick_23

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runnner, 2004 BMW M3, 1974 Land Cruiser FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't post here ever but I am contemplating selling my Bronco due to the excessive popping from the tailgate (much more of a ping that happens consistently on any sort of rough road or any bump) and the excessive wind noise from the roof (I have the the issue that sounds like the rear window is consistently open).

I've reached out to my dealer but sounds like they can't do much saying that Ford won't warranty these things because i need aftermarket parts to fix my issue. My issue is for spending $65K+ on a brand new car and i have to live with popping and not being able to talk to people on the phone on the freeway because of all the wind noise is unacceptable.

Wanted to love this car for a long time to come but on my last leg and about to put it up for sale.
Let me know if anyone has any concrete solutions before I start dumping more money into this to solve problems Ford should have solved from the beginning or help to rectify after the fact...

OP
OP
tambrico

tambrico

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Niner Air 9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't post here ever but I am contemplating selling my Bronco due to the excessive popping from the tailgate (much more of a ping that happens consistently on any sort of rough road or any bump) and the excessive wind noise from the roof (I have the the issue that sounds like the rear window is consistently open).

I've reached out to my dealer but sounds like they can't do much saying that Ford won't warranty these things because i need aftermarket parts to fix my issue. My issue is for spending $65K+ on a brand new car and i have to live with popping and not being able to talk to people on the phone on the freeway because of all the wind noise is unacceptable.

Wanted to love this car for a long time to come but on my last leg and about to put it up for sale.
Let me know if anyone has any concrete solutions before I start dumping more money into this to solve problems Ford should have solved from the beginning or help to rectify after the fact...
Sounds like the dealer is bullshitting you. Go to a different dealer.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I feel you. I have/had both those issues as well, and it is completely unacceptable. My Bronco would be gone right now if I hadn't finally stopped the tick noise coming from the tailgate. It was unbearable. Like yours, my dealer had no interest in looking at it. And I had no interest in shopping the problem around to other dealers, only one in my area. I was looking into options to just move on, then decided to give it one more shot myself. There is a long thread on various noises from the tailgate area, and the tick is discussed in much detail. Here is my post on how I finally stopped it.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/gnarly-tailgate-rattle.20393/post-1691173

There are several people on this forum who have had their tailgate replaced for this exact noise, so trying other dealers is an option if you want to go that route.

Wind noise from the hardtop is another beast. You wont get help from any dealer on that one since Ford won't acknowledge there is a problem for many of us. There are several threads out there with various "fixes" that include extra weather stripping, foam, pipe insulation, etc. I have tried all the fixes, and can make it better, but not good enough. Plus having all that crap fall down every time I took off the top was a pita. I went with the Skyrider top and it is so much quieter, so Ive moved on from the hardtop panels.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

due to the excessive popping from the tailgate (much more of a ping that happens consistently on any sort of rough road or any bump)
Is that your Bronco in your avatar? Did you extend the rubber bumpers when you put the new wheels on? If they aren't supporting the tire you'll get noise from the tailgate.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the wind noise, take a close look at the window where it pushes against the gasket. Have someone open and close the window while you watch. Then do the same on the other window. Do you notice a difference?
I found on my 2 door the passenger window would whistle when the wind blew across it harder than normal. (that can create a low-pressure area pulling the window away from the gasket)
I noticed when the window rolled up on the passenger side; the gasket was getting caught by the leading edge of the glass in a way that the driver's side did not.
I applied some silicon spray to a paper towel and wiped the door gasket with it, lubricating the gasket. After that the window rolled up and didn't catch the gasket anymore.

That seemed to resolve most of it. Though I still believe the door needs to be adjusted or the gasket be replaced.

Sponsored

Tony4x4

Big Bend
First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 EB Bronco 2021 BB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Please see video link at the bottom of the post as well. Picked up my Bronco (2.7 badland sasquatch lux) on 6/30/22 after waiting almost 2 years. At around 900 miles I developed the dreaded tailgate rattle. I also have loud excessive wind noise coming from the passenger side rear window. I made an appointment in August to have the car seen. Earliest they could get me in was October. Dropped it off 10/5. They replaced some loose weather stripping on the door and they said they tightened the bolts on the spare tire mount.

I drove the car home and immediately noticed that neither issue was fixed. I tried to grease the tire mount bolts from the back via the accessory ready panel as suggested in many threads about the tailgate rattle issue. This did not work. I called the dealership to bring it back and did a ride along with the service advisor who told me he definitely heard the tailgate rattle and it agreed that it was very annoying in regular driving, AND also heard the wind noise remarking that it sounded like a window was open. I felt pretty confident in dropping it off this time.

Just got a call today from the mechanic at the dealership who is now telling me that they drove it and nothing is wrong. They said the wind noise is normal and they did not hear a tailgate rattle just some noises that are "normal for a truck." This is despite the service advisor riding with me and agreeing with my assessment. When I brought that up they said "well he's not qualified to do a ride along."

I am genuinely at my wits end with this noise. Particularly the tailgate rattle. I want to love this truck but I can't love it if I can't stand to drive it. The wind noise bothers me less but it's still very excessive to the point where sometimes I can't even hear the tires on the road. I spent 65 thousand dollars on this truck after delay after delay and waiting 2 years. It's completely demoralizing to be told this and I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Wanted to maybe get some thoughts and opinions from people who have been in the same boat so to speak. And also just wanted to vent in general and make sure I'm not crazy

I'm not going to name and shame the dealership just yet because I'm still in communication with them and a family member used to work for the service department is communicating on my behalf as well.

Here is a video of the tailgate noise:

Honestly most dealers are fed up with Ford's shoddy build quality in general and quite a few have been burned by Ford on warranty claims so unless its something major and obvious they just do the bare minimum and brush it off as normal.

I feel that what you are experiencing is unacceptable even in my $45k build.

Destination Bigfoot Bronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Limited, 2022 Bronco OBX Cyber Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I fixed my issues backing out all the bolts on the spare tire carrier along with hinges and added blue loctite. I noticed that my tailgate wouldn't rattle when the spare was off but started once i put it back on. Figured there was slight play in the bolts due to the weight of the tire. Loctite sealed that play and hasn't rattled a day since.

OP
OP
tambrico

tambrico

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Niner Air 9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I fixed my issues backing out all the bolts on the spare tire carrier along with hinges and added blue loctite. I noticed that my tailgate wouldn't rattle when the spare was off but started once i put it back on. Figured there was slight play in the bolts due to the weight of the tire. Loctite sealed that play and hasn't rattled a day since.
That's exactly what happened with mine. After much prodding the dealership put a scope into the tailgate and found a cracked weld at one of the mounting points.

Nflandrum

Badlands
First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a call from a service manager this morning that indicated Ford had just issued a service bulletin on the tailgate rattle. They then said they were in the process of ordering me a new tailgate. I have not been able to find the service bulletin however.

Doubleblkdiamond

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got a call from a service manager this morning that indicated Ford had just issued a service bulletin on the tailgate rattle. They then said they were in the process of ordering me a new tailgate. I have not been able to find the service bulletin however.
Screenshot_20230524_101747_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored