Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It looks great! How many coats of primer and paint did you apply?
Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like the contrast of the silver. But it is good to know they are easy to paint.
Thank you for posting this.

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I always thought the black beauty rings on the Wildtrack and FE looked better than the silver that I was forced to buy with the Badlands Sasquatch package. I decided my first project would be to paint them black, despite having no experience with paint and not being particularly handy, because of the following:

* The only beauty rings I've found from Ford accessories were red
* If I really messed it up I could replace them or eventually be able to buy the manufacturer black ones from Ford direct.
* I think matching the trim ring with the wheel color has a more utility less refined look that I dig.
* To us Bronco6g nerds, I will be the only 2021 Badlands Sasquatch Area 51 with black bead lock trim rings for the time being - differences being black ring with a carbonized grey grill, badlands badge, black door handles and matching gloss black wheel color. The Wildtracks have the black grill and color match door handles as far as I can tell?

1. bought scotch brite srubber to scuff up the silver rims: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

2. Behr black Paint + Primer

3. T45 Torx bit. (unbelievably despite having a variety of torx bit sizes in the Bronco toolkit it doesn't include this size): https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

Here are the before and after. Super happy with the look.

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg
Looks Great!!!!!!! Glad you paved the way....Now I just have to get my Bronco to follow suit 😂

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m probably going to powder coat mine rapid red to match.

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

New replacement rings, god awful expensive, having someone powder coat, a 3rd of that price. Sand and spray can for the WIN! I thought about doing this, but have had bad luck with rocks and paint chips in the past. You will definingly have to revisit this post and give us a 6 months after review.

Sponsored

Richw23

Base
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I always thought the black beauty rings on the Wildtrack and FE looked better than the silver that I was forced to buy with the Badlands Sasquatch package. I decided my first project would be to paint them black, despite having no experience with paint and not being particularly handy, because of the following:

* If I really messed it up I could replace them or eventually be able to buy the manufacturer black ones from Ford direct.
* I think matching the trim ring with the wheel color has a more utility less refined look that I dig.
* To us Bronco6g nerds, I will be the only 2021 Badlands Sasquatch Area 51 with black bead lock trim rings for the time being - differences being black ring with a carbonized grey grill, badlands badge, black door handles and matching gloss black wheel color. The Wildtracks have the black grill and color match door handles as far as I can tell?

1. bought scotch brite srubber to scuff up the silver rims: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

3. T45 Torx bit. (unbelievably despite having a variety of torx bit sizes in the Bronco toolkit it doesn't include this size): https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg
That looks awesome. I was gonna have them powder coated but i would rather do that and save my money. Looks fantastic. Great job!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've gotten away from powder coating anything that may get scraped. Painting stuff, if you take your time and do very minimal prep is very easy.
As the OP showed, the results look great.
If any of those rings get scraped or dinged, just take it off, sand it down, and repaint.
No one will be the wiser.

@luptanpitman Well Done!

Bigwheelin

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg
Awesome thanks man , I have the exact same truck in shipping , I called my dealer today to get a price on black rings that are in my bronco catalog but I will totally go this route. Looks way better 👍

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool, but I want to see someone blast that black paint off of those wheels and clear coat the aluminum.

Sponsored

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My Wildtrack will be arriving from dirt mountain with the black rings. I happen to like the silver ones. I will be looking to trade with someone. If anyone is in the greater Boston area with silver rings, I'll be looking to trade... I'd prefer to avoid having to get into shipping but if necessary then maybe... any takers?

OP
OP
luptanpitman

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice !! . . . Yes the black looks more coherent -
Was thinking about Carbon Gray for mine - assuming ever receive the Bronco -

Yeah that T45 is not the most common size. After you mentioned it few days ago, I checked my tool sets here. My screwdriver sets skip from T40 to T50. The only T45 I have is in a set of 3/8" Drive Torx Bit Sockets - which also has T47. So Monday went to KC Tools website - ordered some more T45 tools - and more T20 for all the SPAX wood screws am using these days -
You've got that kamikaze look, @Lucchese. l've seen it. Bodhi can smell it a mile away.
He'll take you to the edge.
Past it.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love the looks of the black beauty ring! Good on ya!

hey it only took me an hour to get those soft top windows back in my BL today… I sure hope it gets easier… holy smokes

OP
OP
luptanpitman

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New replacement rings, god awful expensive, having someone powder coat, a 3rd of that price. Sand and spray can for the WIN! I thought about doing this, but have had bad luck with rocks and paint chips in the past. You will definingly have to revisit this post and give us a 6 months after review.
yep I’m sure that will be the case but as @Ryuk points out I should be able to rinse and repeat as needed. The question is how often - and I guess that depends on how often I take off road. Can follow up with the bronco6gs for sure tho..

brybar4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great! Wonder how this same process would work on the beauty ring of the upgraded Badlands wheels (non Sas). Anyone willing to give it a shot first (so I don’t have to)?
Sponsored