Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco and 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the write up on this. They look good in the photos. I did something similar on my silver beauty rings for the Sasquatch wheels. Here is what used. I have been thinking about doing the flares but not sure yet.
Ford Bronco DIY Paint Color Match Sasquatch Fender Flares 0F2804D2-57C3-4500-996A-D49EB2472073
Ford Bronco DIY Paint Color Match Sasquatch Fender Flares 0519632F-C5A4-4342-B934-6B93FE8115F9
Ford Bronco DIY Paint Color Match Sasquatch Fender Flares 652F5B8B-1D1A-4B3B-9520-62800F13F93F
Ford Bronco DIY Paint Color Match Sasquatch Fender Flares 65A9CA59-4AD6-4E43-B7D6-C52CE01DCFC1
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I decided that before going down the route of having one of my body shops paint the flares I’d give it a go DIY style to see how it would come out. This entire project was done using nothing but aerosol cans you can get and any local paint store. Is it absolutely perfect? No. But for $90 and a night of my time it’s pretty dang good.

First step was to clean up the flares and then hit them with 400 grit to knock down some of the plastic and hit it with degreaser. (Forgot to take a photo at this stage)

After this i hit the flares with adhesion promoter and some high build primer. Once the primer dried i sanded it back with 220 grit to get as much of a smooth surface as possible.
Ford Bronco DIY Paint Color Match Sasquatch Fender Flares 65A9CA59-4AD6-4E43-B7D6-C52CE01DCFC1

Next i sprayed down a grey primer as that’s what the cactus grey base coat called for.

Then came the cactus grey base coat i did 4 coats to try and get it as even as possible.

Finally i did 1 light coat and 3 heavy wet coats of 2k glamour clear coat.

Here is one flare mocked up on the car but it’s not dry enough to install just wanted to see how it looked

Here they are mounted up just need a wet sand and buff later today.

Updates:

WOW did not think i would receive this many replies so fast lol. For those of you looking for spray cans of cactus grey or whatever color you may need there are many local automotive paint supply stores all you have to do is walk in and tell them the color you need and they can mix it and load it into an aerosol for you! This project used 1 can of adhesion promoter, 2 cans of SEM high build primer, a can of SEM grey primer, 2 cans of cactus base coat, and 2 cans of 2k clear glamour.

I used an adhesion promoter to help it to stick to the plastic that was it so time will tell how that holds up.
I saw a Cactus Gray Outer Banks today and noticed how good the color matched flares looked. I really like the way yours turned out as well, nicely done. Did you have them add any flex additive? It's been a while since I have worked in the collision industry, but I assume there is still something paint manufactures use to help on a part like the flares that could see some pretty good flexing?

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I decided that before going down the route of having one of my body shops paint the flares I’d give it a go DIY style to see how it would come out. This entire project was done using nothing but aerosol cans you can get and any local paint store. Is it absolutely perfect? No. But for $90 and a night of my time it’s pretty dang good.

First step was to clean up the flares and then hit them with 400 grit to knock down some of the plastic and hit it with degreaser. (Forgot to take a photo at this stage)

After this i hit the flares with adhesion promoter and some high build primer. Once the primer dried i sanded it back with 220 grit to get as much of a smooth surface as possible.

Next i sprayed down a grey primer as that’s what the cactus grey base coat called for.

Then came the cactus grey base coat i did 4 coats to try and get it as even as possible.

Here is one flare mocked up on the car but it’s not dry enough to install just wanted to see how it looked

Updates:

WOW did not think i would receive this many replies so fast lol. For those of you looking for spray cans of cactus grey or whatever color you may need there are many local automotive paint supply stores all you have to do is walk in and tell them the color you need and they can mix it and load it into an aerosol for you! This project used 1 can of adhesion promoter, 2 cans of SEM high build primer, a can of SEM grey primer, 2 cans of cactus base coat, and 2 cans of 2k clear glamour.

I used an adhesion promoter to help it to stick to the plastic that was it so time will tell how that holds up.
Looks great. How are you going to protect them. They are going to get shredded with gravel, rocks and sand especially the back flares. PPF? Flaps?

rmanecke

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83CJ / 87YJ Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks great. How are you going to protect them. They are going to get shredded with gravel, rocks and sand especially the back flares. PPF? Flaps?
Old Jeep trick.... MORE spray paint!!! Love it.

Taichi

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 XLT sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i would love to paint my handles but they're not as easy to swap as the flares if i mess up lol

Sponsored

El Bronco Blanco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer XLT, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Following for future use. :)

BroncoOB

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Updates:

This is impressive work. I am a DIY also but painting has not been in my list. I may give this a try.

Is there a list of where and supplies you got from?

BroncoOB

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The primer is determined by the color you are doing so if you go to the store for paint you can ask what the recommended primer color is for velocity blue. I just used commercial wax and grease remover.
Can you provide the type/brand of grease and wax remover? Much rather not experiment.

Here is my OBX w lights...

broncolights.jpg

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Ford Bronco DIY Paint Color Match Sasquatch Fender Flares broncolights

Updates:

Great work. How has this held up?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just stumbled onto this thread.
Gotta say, you did the right thing here, using the correct steps and products.
So many people want to DIY, and I think it is a good thing.
Step out of your comfort zone a bit and try something new.
Many don't know the correct steps, products, or application methods and your write-up covered it quite well.
As a guy who does custom paint work, I can't find any fault in your steps, you did it the way I would (except for the rattle can part, but I'm set up with the right tools, most are not.).
Good job, good final product.
Let us know how it holds up over time.
Seeing the rock chip damage on my rear flares already, no way painted would work for me, with my environment, but props to those who can.

Sponsored

MVBB

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Updates:

how's it holding up now?

MVBB

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I color matched all handles, flares and the mirrors. Looks way better then the black. Also if you add side steps then you don't have to worry about haters giving you door dings.

this looks clean, man congrats. can you show some close ups on the handles and mirrors and flares. love it
Sponsored