Sponsored

Does chip shortage = higher Base model build rate?

lalnx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan, Rav4, had a 76 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

With the ongoing, and apparently much worse chip shortage, will this result in a higher rate of lower trim models being built to keep the factory line full? Granted margins are lower on lower trims, but if it means keeping the line loaded it might be a logical trade off. Not sure if there is a way to track that or not, especially this month, since there is zero scheduling going on.
Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd be more than fine with that!!!! However, who knows at this point......

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
seems logical, but only if it is not a key component for Bronco wide required feature

ericwmedic

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS NB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not necessarily. Not all of the modules ("chips") that are in short-supply are options. In the past year, we've seen shortages at KTP based on just about every system on the vehicle.

Some of these things can be avoided when building, but others are on 100% of units. Some of these things, you can still ship the vehicle and send the parts to the dealership when they come in; others, you can't even drive the unit at the end of the assembly line.

Sponsored

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not necessarily. I recall a statement from the Ford CEO to shareholders several months ago stating that profits would be optimized, not units produced. Don't ask me to dive any deeper into it but I'm sure it's somehow built into their scheduling formula. Optimizing profits keeps shareholders happy.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That thought worked for me.
There were a few reasons I went Base, but after the order and shit broke loose, I was glad I did.
With the ongoing, and apparently much worse chip shortage, will this result in a higher rate of lower trim models being built to keep the factory line full? Granted margins are lower on lower trims, but if it means keeping the line loaded it might be a logical trade off. Not sure if there is a way to track that or not, especially this month, since there is zero scheduling going on.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don't get your hopes up. Had a Base 2.3 manual on order for a year and a half and it hasn't been pulled.

OP
OP
lalnx

lalnx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan, Rav4, had a 76 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don't get your hopes up. Had a Base 2.3 manual on order for a year and a half and it hasn't been pulled.
Oh, my hopes aren't up at all, my base order is with Granger, :) . I believe at some point in the future they will just cancel Granger orders and make people start all over anyway.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine is with a high volume Texas dealer to be fair, so allocations may factor in as well. I took matters into my own hands and found an awesome B6G member who sold me theirs and was actually honest on price. My wife wants the Base, so we will keep the order. I feel super fortunate and think when chipless Bronco's start showing up in driveways, people are going to be so excited to have them home, they will easily overlook the missing features. Good luck.

Sponsored

The YETI

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 Crew
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My Base has been sitting on Ice Mountain for nearly 2 months…missing chip=no ship.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I saw on the other Bronco board where a guy ordered a 2-door Base with 2.3L manual in January 2022 and already has a build date. His only options were auxiliary switches and front bumper.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I saw on the other Bronco board where a guy ordered a 2-door Base with 2.3L manual in January 2022 and already has a build date. His only options were auxiliary switches and front bumper.
It really is a lottery....

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
It really is a lottery....
Yes, sir, it is. I just checked the thread and saw another two January 2022 orders already built. At least one was a 4-door HARDTOP.

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh, my hopes aren't up at all, my base order is with Granger, :) . I believe at some point in the future they will just cancel Granger orders and make people start all over anyway.
Oh no, don't even think that! I also have a Base on order with Granger and can't even imagine that happening. Ford would lose me forever.
Sponsored