Sponsored

Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller?

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should be standard on all vehicles wit a tow package

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tow-Pro Liberty. I need to pull a tractor on a trailer about 15 miles once a month. I have no worries
But the idea being you MUST get the factory Tow package to have that plug in the first place...correct?

You're just saying that if you get the Tow package, there is an alternative to the additional Brake controller than Ford's offering?

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But the idea being you MUST get the factory Tow package to have that plug in the first place...correct?

You're just saying that if you get the Tow package, there is an alternative to the additional Brake controller than Ford's offering?
You must have factory tow to get the wiring. I hope what I purchased will work. I won't know for certain until August or September or ............................................

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Should be standard on all vehicles wit a tow package
For 3500lbs of towing? There are vehicles with way higher tow cap that don't have a controller standard with the tow package.

Edit: Sorry for the unhelpful gatekeeping. I was trying to point out that this is unlikely based on what is typical with other vehicles. I hope didn't come across poorly. For the price of the package you might expect it though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Went and looked real close at the hitch receiver at the Crossroads Apex dealer event today: I am pretty underwhelmed - and think even 3500lbs is questionable with the thin thing they have on there.

So my JK receiver rated for 3500 bolts 1-1/2” up into a 3” thick frame, with four bolts across 10”. It is ” thick.

The Bronco one bolts 1” up into a 2-1/2” frame with four bolts across 8”. It is 1/8” thick. It literally looks like a whimpy 3/4 scale version of the JKs; not something designed to tow off road.

The bare frame demo pictures looks ok: the frame even looked reinforced. But after seeing it in person, I am seriously second guessing. This may not work at all for me, and definitely needs a more rugged option.

Ford Bronco Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller? A15864AB-80EC-4B5A-ADA7-579C5E22D0E4
Ford Bronco Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller? F0E8306F-12FA-4114-803E-E049C06D78E6

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Went and looked real close at the hitch receiver at the Crossroads Apex dealer event today: I am pretty underwhelmed - and think even 3500lbs is questionable with the thin thing they have on there.

So my JK receiver rated for 3500 bolts 1-1/2” up into a 3” thick frame, with four bolts across 10”. It is 3/16” thick.

The Bronco one bolts 1” up into a 2-1/2” frame with four bolts across 8”. It is 1/8” thick. It literally looks like a whimpy 3/4 scale version of the JKs; not something designed to tow off road.

The bare frame demo pictures looks ok: the frame even looked reinforced. But after seeing it in person, I am seriously second guessing. This may not work at all for me, and definitely needs a more rugged option.
That's very disappointing, since you'd think the 3500lb limit was specifically in place with the idea that you would be towing little teardrops on trails. If it's only suitable for that silly tow cap in good driving conditions then they really really missed the mark.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The suspension is what keeps it down. Stiffer suspension, more tongue weight it can safely handle and that means larger load. Bronco suspension is tuned for off road drivability and comfort in that setting.

Look at the Ranger, for example, basically same frame, stiffer suspension, and rated to tow almost twice as much.
Air loft 1000’s in the coils!
Works great in my sequoia, Just let the air out when you’re done and they stay in their

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Air loft 1000’s in the coils!
Works great in my sequoia, Just let the air out when you’re done and they stay in their
Well scratch that idea! I just looked at the chassis photo and they have coil overs in the back!!!
I guess you could always build a little cup type thing to put the little airlift thing in!

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
some want a tow package to tow a small camper, or trailer for jet ski, motorcycle, it not a simi truck and I hope none of you think it has that capacity. Put a tow package on all of them, throw in brake controls. Just doing that doesn’t change the tow capacity

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller? Hitch

You have a pretty good idea of what the specs are. Maybe the next time someone has access to the demo frame, we can amplify the hitch pictures and measurements. Still scratching my head on why this is constrained unless the trailer brake wiring or circuitry is the culprit.

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought this thread would help identify what’s included in the tow hitch package, but I got nothing. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I thought this thread would help identify what’s included in the tow hitch package, but I got nothing. 🤷🏽‍♂️
That's what's in the tow package though...

kellyweiss

Heritage
First Name
Mr. Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I had to buy that separate when I had an F-150 so this is normal.

I would like to see a picture of the Trailer Brake controller and how it is integrated into the Bronco.
At the moment there is no picture on the Ford Accessories website
Hmmmmm . . . . yes, how it is integrated in too the Bronco would be nice to see; all I could find is what follows from the Accessory listing pdf (pg. 26), attached.
Ford Bronco Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller? 1620544790891

B. TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER
BY LUMEN
Take control of your trailer with a Trailer Brake Controller
designed and Ford approved specifically for your Bronco.
• The only Ford Approved trailer brake controller compatible
with all vehicle safety systems including:
- Forward Collision Warning System
- Automatic Emergency Braking
• Two driver selectable braking modes – proportional
or user-controlled modes
• Adjustable braking force – simply rotate knob to
desired intensity
• Custom ECU helps manage the truck’s brake signals
Sponsored

Attachments