First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish it was a mechanical hydraulic hand brake instead of electronic.
A couple of reasons:
1. I grew up using the hand brake a lot to skidsteer on winter roads. While not necessary, it’s a lot of fun. It’s impossible to do with the e-handbrake.
2. If we had a mechanical/hydraulic system I’d be one step closer to setting up a dig wheel with my 7MT-equipped Bronco. For some reason us 3-pedalers didn’t get the TTA option configured.
Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yea! But how else am I supposed to make sweet handbrake turns - I know it's what the ladies love, why else get MGV interior!?!?

/s
I love the sweet handbrake turns, and doing the Ace Ventura-style “like a glove” parking stunts. My adult twin daughters still remind me how amazed they were when I parked that way in our old 4Runner when they were kids.

Off-topic, but hand-brake skid-steering with a front wheel drive (my Focus ST) was also a hoot, and I got very precise on my cornering on ice and snow after some practice. Not Ken Block-precise, but good enough to put a smile on my face!

StormtrooperS225

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At the Bronco Off-Rodeo, they specifically mentioned that quite a few people pulled this off. It is crazy to me, because it is a simple, easy, one finger lever that does the job, but people pull on it like it's a cable brake.
I can speak from experience that some people don't give a dam about vehicles that are not there own much to my own annoyance

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A couple of reasons:
1. I grew up using the hand brake a lot to skidsteer on winter roads. While not necessary, it’s a lot of fun. It’s impossible to do with the e-handbrake.
2. If we had a mechanical/hydraulic system I’d be one step closer to setting up a dig wheel with my 7MT-equipped Bronco. For some reason us 3-pedalers didn’t get the TTA option configured.
Gotcha. Used to do that in my WRX, and it was a blast, but totally unnecessary.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love the sweet handbrake turns, and doing the Ace Ventura-style “like a glove” parking stunts. My adult twin daughters still remind me how amazed they were when I parked that way in our old 4Runner when they were kids.

Off-topic, but hand-brake skid-steering with a front wheel drive (my Focus ST) was also a hoot, and I got very precise on my cornering on ice and snow after some practice. Not Ken Block-precise, but good enough to put a smile on my face!
That's because Ken uses a hydraulic Hoonigan brake lever in his cars... :)

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would bite if on an off-road trip and needing to use the e-brake. As someone who tends to use the e-brake a lot with manual transmissions, I'll miss being able to totally control e-brake function on the Bronco.
Same here. I guess be glad it's not electric steering rack/pump like some vehicles are going to?

OP
OP

masterroth

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I actually did that at the off-roadeo!!!

Its an obvious design flaw because I did not pull it very hard and it just snapped out of the slot it’s held in. The Off-Roadeo guys acted like they’ve seen this issue before which makes me thing it’s a design flaw that ford didn’t go back and correct.
did it break completely or did they just fit it back on and it worked again?

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
did it break completely or did they just fit it back on and it worked again?
It was completely broken and didn’t seem like it went back together at all. It’s a janky way of handling the ebrake. If your going to make it a cable style button but its not actually a cable, rather a “simulated” cable pull, either make it more rigid or just make it a push button.

Sponsored
OP
OP

masterroth

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It was completely broken and didn’t seem like it went back together at all. It’s a janky way of handling the ebrake. If your going to make it a cable style button but its not actually a cable, rather a “simulated” cable pull, either make it more rigid or just make it a push button.
ah right, that's a shame they made it like that. I would have thought if they made that kind of piece it should be designed to clip back on instead of having to buy a whole new assembly. I agree it has bold letters saying pull on. If it says that let us pull it without it braking.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean, it is a non-issue unless you lack a basic level of competence.

Honestly, it doesn't get much easier than pulling the lever and pushing the button with the same level of force you use on your turn signal, GOAT dial, seat adjustments, or basically any other function in the car.

It is basic, day 1 shit that literally any child could figure out.
It's not a matter of how easy it is or someone's Competence is, but a matter of it being a Totally Separate System that can operate when the primary system(s) fails.

What happens if/when you lose electrical power on a vehicle with an Electric E-Brake? The Fail Safe Default is for the E-Brake to engage, but I don't know what the Ford Engineers decided to happen. Now with a Manual Hand Brake, I know.

Another what if.... the vehicle suffers a hydraulic brake line failure, does the current Electric E-Brake function? I don't know, but I sure hope that it does.

Bottom line... there was a Simple and with a Long History of Reliability method for the E-Brake that @Ford Motor Company chose to ignore in my opinion.

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Excuse my lack of knowledge, my blend date was only yesterday so no Bronco in my driveway.

My Camaro has an electronic e-Brake, a small button in the center console, press down to release, and pull up slightly, to engage, much like a window switch.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a foot e-Brake, stomp on it to engage, stomp on it again to release.

How does the Bronco one work? Is it just a push button, or do you have to push/pull it?

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's not a matter of how easy it is or someone's Competence is, but a matter of it being a Totally Separate System that can operate when the primary system(s) fails.

What happens if/when you lose electrical power on a vehicle with an Electric E-Brake? The Fail Safe Default is for the E-Brake to engage, but I don't know what the Ford Engineers decided to happen. Now with a Manual Hand Brake, I know.

Another what if.... the vehicle suffers a hydraulic brake line failure, does the current Electric E-Brake function? I don't know, but I sure hope that it does.

Bottom line... there was a Simple and with a Long History of Reliability method for the E-Brake that @Ford Motor Company chose to ignore in my opinion.
I disagree. When you drive a car with power steering you don't jerk the wheel the same way you would in a car without power steering, that would be silly. The driver adjusts.

The entire car is one big computer and electrical system, so the ship has sailed.

I no longer view it as an emergency brake, that ship too has long since sailed. It is a parking brake, and as such, the electric version is simple and easy. It doesn't get any easier than pushing a button, but this is complicated I guess.
Sponsored