First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this your first manual transmission vehicle?
This
I have owned many a stick shift car. Never would I just leave it in 1st and hope the engine resistance would hold the car. If you can't remember to put on the PARKING BRAKE maybe and automatic is better suited for you.
Sponsored

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So this is how we got to where we are today with all the nannies in our cars....

Seriously though, why not put it in C??? Much lower gear and might solve your problem. I too never used e-brakes due to freezing on over night, old F-150, so I too parked in gear. R if pointed downhill, 1st or in our case C if pointed up hill.
Because this 4 cyl does not have enough resistance to hold a 5,000 lb truck. Remember it is turbocharged so besides it having only 4 small cylinders it has lower compression.

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is my 5th manual over 30 years of driving....., I know the deal, seems the compression in my other manuals would hold in gear just in case, but I always used e brakes. The compression in the Broncos small 4 cylinder can't hold the weight at all so it rolls quicker than expected....
I'll keep pulling the poorly placed E brake lever and hope I don't forget.

I have though about some scenarios, I would like it to just come on when the ignition is turned off. in gear or neutral, Simple.
When its started back up, put in gear, and the clutch is let out, it can go off as it already does. Or released by hand.

If I want it to roll while in neutral with the engine off Id be happy to release the lever manually. But 99/100 times I pull up and park, it should engage when the engine is turned off.

It was a simple question, it would be a nice option, could be on/off like other features in the menu, why not? To not worry or think twice.

It's a forum, I knew there was obviously going to be simple minded genius here, who have perfect memory, who immediately assume all else are dumb and who's worthless responses seem to make them feel smart,...I make a very nice living being very mechanically clever.
I was hoping I was missing a feature, not be schooled on manual driving.

I like well thought out design, this is not.
I go back to a prior thread comment I made, E-Brakes suck! I have been driving m/t's for 45+ years and want a manual 'emergency' brake with the lever right next to the shifter. I want if for parking (you know its on with a glance) and for emergencies where you want to control the 'emergency' braking force. To me it was second nature to put it in first, pull the brake lever up and shut off the engine. Now I have to remember to pull that little flimsy switch. Thanks for mentioning that the brake does disengage when the clutch is depressed.

dimasin

Black Diamond
First Name
Dimasin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is my 5th manual over 30 years of driving....., I know the deal, seems the compression in my other manuals would hold in gear just in case, but I always used e brakes. The compression in the Broncos small 4 cylinder can't hold the weight at all so it rolls quicker than expected....
I'll keep pulling the poorly placed E brake lever and hope I don't forget.

I have though about some scenarios, I would like it to just come on when the ignition is turned off. in gear or neutral, Simple.
When its started back up, put in gear, and the clutch is let out, it can go off as it already does. Or released by hand.

If I want it to roll while in neutral with the engine off Id be happy to release the lever manually. But 99/100 times I pull up and park, it should engage when the engine is turned off.

It was a simple question, it would be a nice option, could be on/off like other features in the menu, why not? To not worry or think twice.

It's a forum, I knew there was obviously going to be simple minded genius here, who have perfect memory, who immediately assume all else are dumb and who's worthless responses seem to make them feel smart,...I make a very nice living being very mechanically clever.
I was hoping I was missing a feature, not be schooled on manual driving.

I like well thought out design, this is not.
Since you are a mechanically inclined and I've never driven Bronco with stick, could you tell us if there is an old fashion parking brake? Simple answer will suffice. I personally thought it was your first manual transmission, so I energetically apologize for such assumption.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't believe this conversation/thread is actually happening...

Sponsored

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hate these electronic switches and buttons, always double checking things
e-brake - I'm used to a lever you can see
ignition - simple once key is removed car is off

So if you battery dies does your e-brake disengage?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I’m in the minority here, but I would expect the truck to stay put in gear on a moderate grade. My 87 Bronco didn’t have an e brake after I swapped the rears to disc, I never had a problem with it rolling even when parked on a steep slope while rock crawling. I’ve owned manual transmission vehicles for almost 30 years and I don’t think the emergency brake use should have to be mandatory in the driveway. My 81 E-150 van with a clapped out 300 I-6 motor did roll back on a driveway one time when I parked it, otherwise I’ve never had one run away.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can't believe this conversation/thread is actually happening...
You trying to put the brakes on this thread?

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was originally taught to always use the e-brake when parking and over the years many people have told me that it is not needed. I still always use it since once I did have a car roll on a pretty level parking lo, but 2 days in the Bronco and I keep looking for that hand break on the right! I am hoping to start to re-train my brain to reach to the left for the e-brake and hopefully it can become habit.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always look for the red Brake indicator on the dash when I'm getting out. It lights up even when the vehicle is off.

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Use C if you need a taller gear to keep from moving down your driveway.
I would always leave in in C anywhere but a totally flat surface. That should be enough.

Because this 4 cyl does not have enough resistance to hold a 5,000 lb truck. Remember it is turbocharged so besides it having only 4 small cylinders it has lower compression.
The 2.3 liter 4-cylinder has 10.0:1 compression ratio. That's higher than all but the highest performance engines of just a decade or two back.

What I want to know is if anybody has figured out how to perform a handbrake turn with the dumb setup Ford now uses for a parking brake. ;)

I'm going to miss the true hand brakes on both of my other Ford cars.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've discovered even my V10 can't hold my F250 still on a moderate slope. The ebrake is kind of janky, need to fix it, but in the meantime I try to park against a curb and turn the wheels.
Sponsored