Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same boat. Originally was going to get manual until I found out you can't get the 2.7l with it. So forced into automatic. Did some research on the 10spd and I read good things so I'm looking forward to it.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ive only had 2 manual vehicles in my life and none were new

Manual was non-negotiable, the engine was. If i wanna automatic, I can find a zillion wranglers on any given lot right now

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just hate transmisson lines and heat randoms(yeah its a fancy 10sd but in 15 to 20 years it'll be quirky). Even when broken but operable a manual wont feel like it will die at any moment.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nobody can answer that question for you.

I can tell you that the 7spd is the only "new" major mechanical part offered on the Bronco. All engines, the 10spd, axles, etc have been used on other platforms for years.

And the last "new" manual Getrag made in China that Ford used didn't turn out so hot.

Sponsored

bomkrb

Black Diamond
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok, clarifying statement. At one point in my life i raced cars. Road courses all across the country. But, I've never driven in a sand dune or up a logging road with loose rocks.

Are these things geared such that the manual won't require endless shifting? Wouldn't an automatic be a bit more fun? I don't know, asking those that might be more experienced.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ok, clarifying statement. At one point in my life i raced cars. Road courses all across the country. But, I've never driven in a sand dune or up a logging road with loose rocks.

Are these things geared such that the manual won't require endless shifting? Wouldn't an automatic be a bit more fun? I don't know, asking those that might be more experienced.
My experience in cars is similar to yours, although not as prolific. I have mild experience off road, logging trails, minor rock crawling, putzing around.

In something that is fun to drive near the edge, like say my FiST commuter, a manual is a must. For a truck, family CUV, or offroad vehicle I prefer an automatic. Rowing gears is less fun and more of a chore when driving those to me. In my limited rock crawling experience I find an auto much better.

The most fun "fast" off road vehicle I've ever driven is my brother-in-laws side by side. And while I'd never own a road vehicle with one, it has a CVT.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bless your heart!

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual could be fun and has the crawl gear. Auto lets you focus more on obstacles n stuff. Manual guys/gal will swear how much fun it is even in stop n go city traffic :ROFLMAO:

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've just watched two videos of a jeep and a 4 runner trying to climb near vertical walls in moab. It took both almost 5 minutes and many attempts to get over. Better grow a third foot for the break pedal if you try it. But of course, most won't go there and most that go won't try such a crazy thing.

Sponsored

bomkrb

Black Diamond
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've just watched two videos of a jeep and a 4 runner trying to climb near vertical walls in moab. It took both almost 5 minutes and many attempts to get over. Better grow a third foot for the break pedal if you try it. But of course, most won't go there and most that go won't try such a crazy thing.
So, automatic then?

dnvrBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, Outback, 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual is great as long as you get to control the stopping and starting. Like on most trails, or the race course. When the world decides when you have to start and stop, then the fun fades quickly. I had manual transmissions exclusively until ski and summer trips on I-70 started to feature long stretches of stop and start, often while going uphill. Now I don’t want a manual.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I learned on manual, only drove manual until I got my Tacoma with auto, was tired of riding the clutch in traffic every day. Never going back to manual in anything I own, though I don't mind it in a rental in Germany. But most of those are auto nowadays too.
Manual is fun on the open road or trail, but most of my driving is on neither of those. And I like the remote start I can control from my phone idea. On those hot or cold days.

Don't really care one way or an other for every day driving, both are fun and auto just adds benefits worth the $ to me.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My opinion on the subject of resale value - not driving a car to keep miles off it for resale is like not banging your girl to keep it fresh for the next guy.

Keeping with that analogy, not buying the manual because of resale value is like only doing cowgirl style even though you prefer it doggy cause the next guy wants to sit back and not put in as much effort. If that’s what you wanted too then sure it’s great, but if you like to shift your own gears, might wanna worry less about the next guys preferences.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A manual transmission is the ultimate anti theft system against millennial car thieves. They are not smart enough to to deal with three pedals.
Sponsored