First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My thoughts are: if I'm already figuring how options effect re-sale on a vehicle I haven't purchased, I'm probably purchasing the wrong vehicle. Get manual if you're more interested in being engaged with the act of driving. Get an automatic if you're more interested in, um, drinking coffee and pointing the rig in the direction you'd like to go. Ok, you see my bias. Taking a step back, regarding re-sale, I'm not 100% that manual is a detriment. Look at high-end sports cars where it currently commands a premium. In the right market manual may be unique and desirable...not that the guy who you trade it into will tell you that.

Tempe huh? Hmmmm. Your location definitely favors automatic: lots of traffic, stop-and-go, long stretches of straight road. Plus, as was mentioned, you can do the auto-start thing and cool her down. I've found (generalizing here, I'm sure that there are exceptions) that those who are experienced off-road do well with either manual or automatic, while the less experienced get into more trouble with manual.

Nate
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dr.Z

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My thoughts are: if I'm already figuring how options effect re-sale on a vehicle I haven't purchased, I'm probably purchasing the wrong vehicle. Get manual if you're more interested in being engaged with the act of driving. Get an automatic if you're more interested in, um, drinking coffee and pointing the rig in the direction you'd like to go. Ok, you see my bias. Taking a step back, regarding re-sale, I'm not 100% that manual is a detriment. Look at high-end sports cars where it currently commands a premium. In the right market manual may be unique and desirable...not that the guy who you trade it into will tell you that.

Tempe huh? Hmmmm. Your location definitely favors automatic: lots of traffic, stop-and-go, long stretches of straight road. Plus, as was mentioned, you can do the auto-start thing and cool her down. I've found (generalizing here, I'm sure that there are exceptions) that those who are experienced off-road do well with either manual or automatic, while the less experienced get into more trouble with manual.

Nate
I drove 15 mins on non highway everyday. I’ve driven stick for 16 years now in every condition, no complaints... and I’m on the right page but thinking of the future is never a bad thing to do.. just a matter of fact / a discussion.

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If this wasnt a vehicle that I needed to share with my wife, it'd be a manual. Not because I think manuals are superior, but they are more fun.

I'm just glad modern automatics have gotten so good. It takes a little sting off the two pedals.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Never buy a car worrying about resale. If you do, you’ll end up with a fully loaded auto, in white, black, or gray. Even then, you’ll lose just as much as anyone else in depreciation. Get what you want. Let the used car dealer worry about selling it to the next person.

OP
OP

Dr.Z

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never buy a car worrying about resale. If you do, you’ll end up with a fully loaded auto, in white, black, or gray. Even then, you’ll lose just as much as anyone else in depreciation. Get what you want. Let the used car dealer worry about selling it to the next person.
Needed this

Sponsored

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think getting a standard shift after reservations are filled will be a pain in the but. I’m getting a stick just for pure pleasure. The 2.3 is more that capable in the focus rs, mustang, and ranger. Plus a simple tune could put you nearer to the 2.7’s numbers for less that the actual upgrade. i know it’s a personal choice but I don’t really get all the whining going on about one not being offered with the other. Shit or get off the pot. Lol

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I drove 15 mins on non highway everyday. I’ve driven stick for 16 years now in every condition, no complaints... and I’m on the right page but thinking of the future is never a bad thing to do.. just a matter of fact / a discussion.
15 minutes! When I lived in Phoenix it was 45 minutes to work and 90 minutes home. Oh well. At the time I drove a manual Acura NSX. Kinda brutal. Do you have any data on depreciation of similar vehicles with manual vs automatic? If you do, just ask yourself what your enjoyment from driving manual over the next several years is worth and compare the numbers. For a 15 minute daily drive (what's that, like 3 blocks? Kidding) you'd better be sure to get that thing out to Flagstaff or down to Mt. Lemmon regularly.

Nate

jasminekd

Big Bend
First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

do we know how much it may cost to get automatic transmission? I reserved 2 Outer Banks because I saw automatic transmission is standard on those... but should I have picked Big Bend or Black Diamond and just paid the extra? Is it going to be a big upcharge for Automatics? :confused:

OP
OP

Dr.Z

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
15 minutes! When I lived in Phoenix it was 45 minutes to work and 90 minutes home. Oh well. At the time I drove a manual Acura NSX. Kinda brutal. Do you have any data on depreciation of similar vehicles with manual vs automatic? If you do, just ask yourself what your enjoyment from driving manual over the next several years is worth and compare the numbers. For a 15 minute daily drive (what's that, like 3 blocks? Kidding) you'd better be sure to get that thing out to Flagstaff or down to Mt. Lemmon regularly.

Nate
I bought my house near my office. It’s straight down baseline. 8 miles. Yea where are good places to drove off road close to outside of Phoenix ?

OP
OP

Dr.Z

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
do we know how much it may cost to get automatic transmission? I reserved 2 Outer Banks because I saw automatic transmission is standard on those... but should I have picked Big Bend or Black Diamond and just paid the extra? Is it going to be a big upcharge for Automatics? :confused:
It’s likely to be around 1400-1500 going off some other posts

Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I bought my house near my office. It’s straight down baseline. 8 miles. Yea where are good places to drove off road close to outside of Phoenix ?
Go east towards Tortilla Flat. Lotsa spots out that way.

So, I guess, add that into the equation. The depreciation may be a wash?

Nate

jasminekd

Big Bend
First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

thanks for that - I guess i'll stick with my outer banks res since I want the mid package as well... i'm sure the difference in the Big Bend and adding mid package + auto trans will end up being the same cost =\

OP
OP

Dr.Z

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thanks for that - I guess i'll stick with my outer banks res since I want the mid package as well... i'm sure the difference in the Big Bend and adding mid package + auto trans will end up being the same cost =\
I’m gonna wait to see all the pricing but it’s probably gonna be an 2 door auto in either the big bend or black diamond with the mid package. I want the black diamond but .. won’t break the bank dependent on what options are available for the big bend / prices on some nice shit that I want.

jasminekd

Big Bend
First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m gonna wait to see all the pricing but it’s probably gonna be an 2 door auto in either the big bend or black diamond with the mid package. I want the black diamond but .. won’t break the bank dependent on what options are available for the big bend / prices on some nice shit that I want.
yeah, I'm just a little confused about the pricing! wish we had more insight on the price of the mid package and stuff

bomkrb

Black Diamond
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've driven a manual most of my life.

Pros and Cons to both the manual and automatic transmissions. No hardcore off-roading experience, and will never take the Bronco "bouldering" or the such. Sand Dunes, remote mountain roads, off the grid car camping through the rock beds of Death Valley is what I can see myself doing.

Thank you
Sponsored