Bodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ELR, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

A PHEV gives the consumer the worst of both ownership models. An expensive battery to replace in 7-9 years, charging equipment costs, as well as oil changes, timing belts, tune-ups, filters, etc. It's a technology bridge vehicle at best and necessary for those that don't have the ability to charge at home.
Not really. Mine is 7.5 years old and I don't see why I would need to replace the battery in the next 18 months. True, I could get 50 miles out of a charge when new and now I "only" get about 35. Part of the decrease is higher resistance tires when the originals wore out but it's still 35 miles of all electric per charge. I only need to buy gas a few times per year. Even if the battery degrades all the way to zero, it still gets about 38mpg in hybrid mode. Yes, you do still need to do the maintenance that an ICE needs but it is at longer intervals, so less. I only need to change the oil/filter every two years because the engine almost never runs. If I was cheap(er) I'd only change the filter every 4 years. The brakes will probably never need replacing because most stopping power is regen, not friction. The last car I had that needed a tune up was my first Bronco.
A PHEV is a compromise that gives some electric driving range without any range anxiety. An individual needs to decide if that compromise works for their use case. My lifetime average is 232mpg over 60,000 miles. That can't be the worst ownership model.
Sponsored

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All electric is the answer.

I leased a Hybrid about 5 years ago. It was great on gas, that was it. I want either all ICE or all electric. A PHEV gives the consumer the worst of both ownership models. An expensive battery to replace in 7-9 years, charging equipment costs, as well as oil changes, timing belts, tune-ups, filters, etc. It's a technology bridge vehicle at best and necessary for those that don't have the ability to charge at home.
I think anyone saying ICE, PHEV, or BEV are right or wrong for everyone is, well, wrong. There are consumers who have the perfect use case for PHEV. (I actually believe I'm one of them.) There are many for whom - like you've noted - are bad use cases.

I drive 5-20 miles per day on a normal work-week day when I'm in the office. I can go all-electric most days. But I occasionally drive 200-400 miles in a day for work. And on the weekends will have some fun adventures that will be a couple hundred miles of driving to places without charging infrastructure of any kind, let alone fast chargers.

For me, PHEV makes a ton of sense until BEVs are further along.

For people who commute more or less or are in places with good charging infrastructure, I can see the argument for all ICE or all BEV. But everyone is different.

jpaw

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would buy this on Day 1. I reserved a Bronco on Day 1 but backed out twice due to the many issues and delays. Then I tried to get a Mach E but had many issues with a local dealer playing games with (pretending to accept) X Plan, and heard many stories about issues with the on board technology, glass roof issues, and general dealer support infrastructure problems, such as dealers turning away repairs unless you bought the car from that dealership. You can imagine how bad that situation is if you are in your Mach-E on a road trip and have a break down, and the local dealers decline to work on your car altogether.

Finally I just went back to Bronco (today actually!) because the electrification situation is a bit half-baked in the hands of legacy Ford dealerships for now, it seems. But I would definitely reserve an electric Bronco, I think the dealers will be getting up to speed once the Lightning is in the dealerships. Whenever that may happen. Soon I hope.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would buy this on Day 1. I reserved a Bronco on Day 1 but backed out twice due to the many issues and delays. Then I tried to get a Mach E but had many issues with a local dealer playing games with (pretending to accept) X Plan, and heard many stories about issues with the on board technology, glass roof issues, and general dealer support infrastructure problems, such as dealers turning away repairs unless you bought the car from that dealership. You can imagine how bad that situation is if you are in your Mach-E on a road trip and have a break down, and the local dealers decline to work on your car altogether.

Finally I just went back to Bronco (today actually!) because the electrification situation is a bit half-baked in the hands of legacy Ford dealerships for now, it seems. But I would definitely reserve an electric Bronco, I think the dealers will be getting up to speed once the Lightning is in the dealerships. Whenever that may happen. Soon I hope.
Solid state batteries with long range and short charging times, are just around the corner. Iā€™m all in.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No BEVs for me, we lose power several times a year for days at a time, I can barely get propane on time to keep my generator running. Gasoline diesel and heating oil are requirements here, I doubt the grid will ever be robust enough in my area to support EVs, I can't even get cable.

Sponsored

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No BEVs for me, we lose power several times a year for days at a time, I can barely get propane on time to keep my generator running. Gasoline diesel and heating oil are requirements here, I doubt the grid will ever be robust enough in my area to support EVs, I can't even get cable.
Call Strickland Propane, and ask for Hank. He will hook you up.

Ford Bronco e-Bronco - Thoughts? DCC07B00-C38E-4417-AE38-21767869A379

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
That would make it incredibly heavy. The future will be electric, but the Bronco can wait a bit.

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hybrid would be interesting.
Hybrid, yes. Full electric, no thank you. Not against electric. It just, there and not many charging stations in the middle of the sand dunes, desert, forest, etc.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The moment a EV or hybrid is announced Iā€™ll have my reservation/order placed and begin preparing to sell my loaded BL 2.7. this will likely be my first EV ever and it should coincide with the refresh. canā€™t wait!

edit: I know thereā€™s a lot of boomers out there that hate change and thatā€™s okay. what we see with EVā€˜s today is going to be completely different than what we see with EVā€˜s in five years. People talk about there being no chargers in the middle of nowhere donā€™t realize innovations like chain charging between multiple EVs solves that problem. Think gas siphoning but for electricity. People also talk about how much longer it takes to charge a battery than fill the tank. multipoint chargers will resolve this issue. Think battery bank separated into quadrants each quadrant has its own charger charging your batteries 4x as fast as current. and this is with pretty old lithium ion battery technology . Wait until we get to graphene batteries. Itā€™s like the anti-EV people want EV to fail so bad itā€™s so weird lol. Why does it matter? Donā€™t get me wrong I love engines I love V-8ā€˜s I love the sound, but we donā€™t get any of that with the Bronco, so may as well get 4x less cost of operation plus no need to change most all fluids and lubricants

Last edited:

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My plan currently is to pay off my Bronco in 5 years and then order an F-150 lightning. Iā€™m a big fan of what they are doing with them and believe in 5 years theyā€™ll be more reliable and have better infrastructure. My plan is to make the Bronco a true off-road vehicle once I order the lightning. If they came out with a hybrid or all electric bronco, I would definitely be all in. My daughter wants a bronco for her 1st vehicle, and a hybrid/electric would be perfect for her to drive around town.
You had better order your lightning when the reservations open again if you hope to get one in 5 years.

Sponsored

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was never part of my ā€œthoughtsā€ā€¦sorry

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think anyone saying ICE, PHEV, or BEV are right or wrong for everyone is, well, wrong. There are consumers who have the perfect use case for PHEV. (I actually believe I'm one of them.) There are many for whom - like you've noted - are bad use cases.

I drive 5-20 miles per day on a normal work-week day when I'm in the office. I can go all-electric most days. But I occasionally drive 200-400 miles in a day for work. And on the weekends will have some fun adventures that will be a couple hundred miles of driving to places without charging infrastructure of any kind, let alone fast chargers.

For me, PHEV makes a ton of sense until BEVs are further along.

For people who commute more or less or are in places with good charging infrastructure, I can see the argument for all ICE or all BEV. But everyone is different.
I totally agree with you - I would love to have a PHEV option for a Bronco in the future. While I live in NJ, there is not sufficient infrastructure for me to go fully BEV in any of the trips that we would likely take (nor do I care to take the time and pay the price for the commercial chargers that are out there).

That said, my wife is the perfect candidate for PHEV (and maybe BEV). She has had her Toyota RAV4 Prime for one year now, and here are her numbers for 2020. She is a teacher with a 20 mile each way commute. She drove 12530 miles in the year, and put in a total of 52 gallons of gas in the vehicle. I put a ChargePoint charger in our garage, and because she does not have the 'top of the line' RAV4 she can only charge at 3.3kW (vs 6.6Kx) and is able to handle 240v @16amps, so it takes around 3-4 hours to fully charge from a depleted state.

I have a Sense electronic monitoring system with a channel dedicated to her car, and it records that charging as 13.7kWh, or about $1.50. This gives her about the same range as a gallon of gas (it gets about 38-40 mpg), so with the current $3.30+ gas prices, it is a savings. Yes, I had to buy the charger, but it is ours and I have wired it to go with us if/when we move.

Her use case is the ultimate - she drives daily at the very extent of the electric range of the vehicle (~42 miles) and only take minimal longer range trips that require gas. Her every-day jaunts that go beyond the 42 electric miles sip very little gas, and she tops off every couple of months when needed. These days, I would probably be able to do the same. I wish her car had the ability to use the full power of the charger (240@32amps) so she could charge faster, but it works for us, though would be more challenging with two cars to share charging, but still do-able. Your mileage may very... ;-)

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hybrid but no full electric.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The moment a EV or hybrid is announced Iā€™ll have my reservation/order placed and begin preparing to sell my loaded BL 2.7. this will likely be my first EV ever and it should coincide with the refresh. canā€™t wait!

edit: I know thereā€™s a lot of boomers out there that hate change and thatā€™s okay. what we see with EVā€˜s today is going to be completely different than what we see with EVā€˜s in five years. People talk about there being no chargers in the middle of nowhere donā€™t realize innovations like chain charging between multiple EVs solves that problem. Think gas siphoning but for electricity. People also talk about how much longer it takes to charge a battery than fill the tank. multipoint chargers will resolve this issue. Think battery bank separated into quadrants each quadrant has its own charger charging your batteries 4x as fast as current. and this is with pretty old lithium ion battery technology . Wait until we get to graphene batteries. Itā€™s like the anti-EV people want EV to fail so bad itā€™s so weird lol. Why does it matter? Donā€™t get me wrong I love engines I love V-8ā€˜s I love the sound, but we donā€™t get any of that with the Bronco, so may as well get 4x less cost of operation plus no need to change most all fluids and lubricants
my question is: by the time this is all a reality (which sound great), are we gonna be paying as much as we pay now for a gas fill up, for a battery fill up? If so, whatā€™s the point?

OP
OP

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my question is: by the time this is all a reality (which sound great), are we gonna be paying as much as we pay now for a gas fill up, for a battery fill up? If so, whatā€™s the point?
Charging at home is much cheaper, and will probably remain so unless gas prices really tank. The super chargers are a bit more expensive, but are still usually cheaper per mile than has.
Sponsored