Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/products/upr-oil-drain-valve-2020-explorer-st-free-shipping

This part or a similar version of it from UPR should make changing oil much easier, reduce the need to replace that yellow drain plug and decrease the likelihood of failure in general.
That would be nice, not just for the durability, but attaching a short hose to drain would be much neater and easier to control. I would need to see how far it sticks out to decide for myself if it looked like it would be at risk of getting hit off road.
Sponsored

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That would be nice, not just for the durability, but attaching a short hose to drain would be much neater and easier to control. I would need to see how far it sticks out to decide for myself if it looked like it would be at risk of getting hit off road.
Good point. There's also this version that's just a plug with no valve. May be shorter than the valve. It does show a picture of it attached to a pan for reference.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...oil-drain-plug-2020-explorer-st-free-shipping

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I know plastic pan is typical with the 2.7 - but has anyone seen it verified Bronco's 2.7 will be plastic?
Hasn't been confirmed/denied, however, if they deemed it fit for the hundreds of thousands of F150's and the tens of millions of miles per year they are driving, one could assume they deemed it fit for duty.

Never mistake for malice what can easily be blamed on incompetence.

2 years from now this list of problems may outweigh the postive adventure responses ,i hope not but spider sense is tingling looking at that snake nest under the hood🙈
Sounds like....... Every vehicle on the road today. No system is perfect and there are always sacrifices in manufacturing, be them cost, packaging, design or manufacturing.

Not buying the oil drain plug issue, unless you monkey first it during removal/installation.

The coolant hose problem is something that I’ll check, so thanks for that one.
You should go research what the oil pan bung looks like, it's obviously not a typical thread mimicking a typical metal thread. They reinvented the wheel, and unlike the capless fuel fill flap, this wasn't a win-win.

The 2.3 pan is metal, coolant hose connectors are likely the same style. The only issue I have found with the 2.3 is the initial oil change the stock factory filter was a different size than the Motorcraft replacement and acces behind the drivers tire is tight.
Interesting. Having done a few oil changes on our '19 Ranger, I had no problem with the OEM filter or WIX replacement. I do suggest using the smallest, swiveling, band wrench for filter removal. Makes it a breeze, especially compared to channel lock or the rubber strap style.

There is conjecture on Ford's OEM filters, and known info on Motorcraft filters that their filtration is not up to snuff, hence why I avoided them. Especially with a new motor that will be continuing to bed in metal on metal components and see particles for the first 20k miles or so.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/who-makes-motorcraft-oil-filters.234495/

My preferred oil filter wrench for Ranger oil changes: Please note this is not my favorite type of oil filter wrench for different vehicles, however, for the Ranger, this proved vastly easier to pull the filter given the cramped area and minimal radial access available. And please, please, please, get the swiveling type, or you're SOL.

Ford Bronco EcoBoost coolant hose leak issue 2ZPK2_AS01[1]

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Rick Astley[/USER] recommends buying a metal fitting and drain plug that seems to convert it to a regular drain plug. Perhaps others have thoughts on this as well.
My thoughts on this is that while however being plastic, the drainplug provides high volume draining. I see this as a benefit I do not wish to eliminate. High volume draining helps to flush the pan out better which may help in extending turbo life.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hasn't been confirmed/denied, however, if they deemed it fit for the hundreds of thousands of F150's and the tens of millions of miles per year they are driving, one could assume they deemed it fit for duty.

Sounds like....... Every vehicle on the road today. No system is perfect and there are always sacrifices in manufacturing, be them cost, packaging, design or manufacturing.

You should go research what the oil pan bung looks like, it's obviously not a typical thread mimicking a typical metal thread. They reinvented the wheel, and unlike the capless fuel fill flap, this wasn't a win-win.

Interesting. Having done a few oil changes on our '19 Ranger, I had no problem with the OEM filter or WIX replacement. I do suggest using the smallest, swiveling, band wrench for filter removal. Makes it a breeze, especially compared to channel lock or the rubber strap style.

There is conjecture on Ford's OEM filters, and known info on Motorcraft filters that their filtration is not up to snuff, hence why I avoided them. Especially with a new motor that will be continuing to bed in metal on metal components and see particles for the first 20k miles or so.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/who-makes-motorcraft-oil-filters.234495/

My preferred oil filter wrench for Ranger oil changes: Please note this is not my favorite type of oil filter wrench for different vehicles, however, for the Ranger, this proved vastly easier to pull the filter given the cramped area and minimal radial access available. And please, please, please, get the swiveling type, or you're SOL.

No truck is perfect👍but this is the one im buying im hoping for the best.🤞

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting...don't know if you remember ChrispyKC...works for the largest Ford truck store in USA. His #1 recommendation was Motorcraft oil filters...claimed they had some patented particulate trap at the top of the filter that was key to ford engine longevity

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Interesting...don't know if you remember ChrispyKC...works for the largest Ford truck store in USA. His #1 recommendation was Motorcraft oil filters...claimed they had some patented particulate trap at the top of the filter that was key to ford engine longevity
Don't remember the user. However, by personal preference, i'd take independent testing from a few sources over sole-source data.

Even Amsoil's filter particulate data needs to be cross referenced with BobIsTheOilGuy, as an example. If you can get a few published documents and the ratings all jive up between sources then you're onto something.

Motorcraft is a massive company so they could make whatever they wanted, if they wanted to. But if your bread and butter is classic cars and high-volume OEM parts, I would generally stay away from those brands for replacement wear items on modern vehicles (such as filters) and go with the smaller, more focused player in that field. And i'm the guy who has a car which doesn't run an oil filter in one of his cars at all.... So you always have to match the case with the needs instead of pure brand affiliation.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife’s Fusion sport has the same drain plug and I do the oil changes. Yeah they’re not as sturdy as metal, but also not as fragile/poorly designed so they leak.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are plenty of monkey fisted employees at oil change places including dealerships. If the problem gets bad enough Ford will make a change in the design but not admit the change was due to a problem. The monkey fisted lube techs had a problem with breaking the oil filter housing on the Chrysler penstastar engine and it got redesigned.
Yep, poorly trained techs can break anything.....

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yep, poorly trained techs can break anything.....
Welcome to my neck of the woods. The only time my Bronco will see the inside of my local dealership is when it needs warranty work or for any recalls that happen.

I had to start taking my Sti to a reputable local shop, that specializes in Subaru, for anything I couldn't tackle in the so-called garage my condo has, since the local Subaru dealership has been a nightmare.

They managed to screw up it's airbag recall (which I had to go in and re-fix myself) and somehow managed to lower the car down onto something that punctured thru the factory plastic gravel guard, that's under the engine, and damage the radiator right where the lower hose attaches.
(Of course they didn't fix it. They claimed it was there when they worked on the car)

Sponsored

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I recently sold my 16 f150 2.7. Never had either issues. My brother, however, had constant issues with the plastic oil pan leaking. He had it replaced 4 times under warranty and a fifth after warranty. It started leaking again, so he sold it to Carvana.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I recently sold my 16 f150 2.7. Never had either issues. My brother, however, had constant issues with the plastic oil pan leaking. He had it replaced 4 times under warranty and a fifth after warranty. It started leaking again, so he sold it to Carvana.
I’ve about oil pan leaks even on the Ford Fusion Sport forums, but the oil drain plug is new news.
Sponsored