First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I have a 2014 Focus ST at 105K miles, now needing some maintenance.

One of the things that just happened was the control module for the whole radiator fan assembly died, and I had to replace the entire radiator fan assembly. I’ve got no experience with the 2.3 or 2.7 since my car is the 2.0, but let me tell you, it was a massive pain in the ass that took me 2 days to diagnose and fix. Had to take the entire front of the car off and EVERYTHING Infront of the fan to get to, and drop the radiator and radiator support to lower the fan.

Anyway, when the radiator fan module failed, the car was locked and idling with the air conditioner on for about 10 minutes. When I returned I saw the coolant temp climbing fast and shut the car off. The coolant got hot (boiled?) and immeasurably began pissing out of those plastic T clip hoses, the ones in particular coming into and out of the heater core behind the motor.

I replaced both hoses and tons of other maintenance after that, but moral of the story is, those hoses WILL leak, and probably after enough time not just from overheating or running too hot. There is a special clip tool on Amazon that’s about 10 bucks. Do yourself a favor, just spend the 10 bucks and never look back. I honestly don’t know how I would’ve unlocked those T clips without that plastic tool.

Thankfully though, the ST has a metal oil pan 👍🏻
Sponsored

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I have a 2014 Focus ST at 105K miles, now needing some maintenance.

One of the things that just happened was the control module for the whole radiator fan assembly died, and I had to replace the entire radiator fan assembly. I’ve got no experience with the 2.3 or 2.7 since my car is the 2.0, but let me tell you, it was a massive pain in the ass that took me 2 days to diagnose and fix. Had to take the entire front of the car off and EVERYTHING Infront of the fan to get to, and drop the radiator and radiator support to lower the fan.

Anyway, when the radiator fan module failed, the car was locked and idling with the air conditioner on for about 10 minutes. When I returned I saw the coolant temp climbing fast and shut the car off. The coolant got hot (boiled?) and immeasurably began pissing out of those plastic T clip hoses, the ones in particular coming into and out of the heater core behind the motor.

I replaced both hoses and tons of other maintenance after that, but moral of the story is, those hoses WILL leak, and probably after enough time not just from overheating or running too hot. There is a special clip tool on Amazon that’s about 10 bucks. Do yourself a favor, just spend the 10 bucks and never look back. I honestly don’t know how I would’ve unlocked those T clips without that plastic tool.

Thankfully though, the ST has a metal oil pan 👍🏻
Thanks for sharing that. Can you link or tell us more about the special tool? Not sure how to search for that.

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2013 3.5 Ecoboost, 130k miles. Coolant levels started mysteriously dropping around 6 months ago. Noticed my heater was just blowing ambient air temps. My youtube research had turned up the coolant line connections at the turbos were probably the culprit but I hadn't taken it any further than that. Are these the same T connections yall are talking about? The connectors at the turbos are some proprietary push to connect o-ring thingamabobs that can be replaced if I remember right.

Edit: nevermind, I found another youtube video here explaining the leak is usually in the fitting just below the reservoir. This can be misdiagnosed as the other common turbo connection leak because the coolant will find its way down the hoses to the turbo lines before dripping. Kinda excited/hopeful....maybe I won't need to work on the turbos.

Last edited:

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2 years from now this list of problems may outweigh the postive adventure responses ,i hope not but spider sense is tingling looking at that snake nest under the hood🙈

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I spoke with a couple of techs at a Christian Brothers location and they mentioned two issues with EcoBoosts to be aware of.

The first was the 2.7L plastic drain plug and how it needs to be replaced every other oil change or it'll leak. I knew about this one. @Rick Astley recommends buying a metal fitting and drain plug that seems to convert it to a regular drain plug. Perhaps others have thoughts on this as well.

The other issue was the proprietary coolant hose coupling / T-fitting. It's a kind of quick disconnect instead of regular hose clamps. They said most EcoBoosts leak when it isn't under pressure, meaning when the vehicle is off. It tends to drip on a hot surface instead of right on the ground and doesn't make a pool under the vehicle in your garage, but to watch coolant levels and top off occasionally.

For those that own a 2.7L or other EcoBoost, have you heard of these problems and if so, what's your solution? Thank you.
Not buying the oil drain plug issue, unless you monkey first it during removal/installation.

The coolant hose problem is something that I’ll check, so thanks for that one.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't always deal with plastic oil pans, but when I do, I make sure to uniformly tighten to 2 ugga duggas
Everything get's tightened to the German torque spec., Gut-en-tight

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

B
2 years from now this list of problems may outweigh the postive adventure responses ,i hope not but spider sense is tingling looking at that snake nest under the hood🙈
oth of the motors and the entire drivetrain is in use now in hundreds of thousands (millions now?) F150s . Problems do come up, like every other mechanical thing. The Bronco will have some issues to watch and fix, no different than everything else you might buy. Personally, I have had no issues with my last 10 vehicles, all having been Fords. The last one I had problems with was a Chevy Tahoe, that for most, is very reliable. Just luck of the draw. Maintenance and reasonable treatment of the vehicle will give most of us years and a couple hundred thousand miles of reliable use.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are any of these applicable to the 2.3? I know a few are having their oil being diluted by oil but it seems most cases are in cold climates.
The 2.3 pan is metal, coolant hose connectors are likely the same style. The only issue I have found with the 2.3 is the initial oil change the stock factory filter was a different size than the Motorcraft replacement and acces behind the drivers tire is tight.

anchor3n1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't always deal with plastic oil pans, but when I do, I make sure to uniformly tighten to 2 ugga duggas

C785DDE7-C3D1-4D92-93A6-DAF3BD0CE09E.jpg
B

oth of the motors and the entire drivetrain is in use now in hundreds of thousands (millions now?) F150s . Problems do come up, like every other mechanical thing. The Bronco will have some issues to watch and fix, no different than everything else you might buy. Personally, I have had no issues with my last 10 vehicles, all having been Fords. The last one I had problems with was a Chevy Tahoe, that for most, is very reliable. Just luck of the draw. Maintenance and reasonable treatment of the vehicle will give most of us years and a couple hundred thousand miles of reliable use.

Copy that!!!!!

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not buying the oil drain plug issue, unless you monkey first it during removal/installation.
There are plenty of monkey fisted employees at oil change places including dealerships. If the problem gets bad enough Ford will make a change in the design but not admit the change was due to a problem. The monkey fisted lube techs had a problem with breaking the oil filter housing on the Chrysler penstastar engine and it got redesigned.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tundra v8 had a plastic oil filter housing pos changed mine real quick with aluminum from a lexus.
Sponsored