Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Took some cues from several posts on here about how others including @UncleBuck have built a platform for the back, and leveled out the platform for good sleep area in the 4 door.. and today I dove in. I went to Home Depot and picked up a ½" thick sheet of plywood and had them make 2 cuts for me, which make it easier to fit in the bronco for the ride home.. one cut at 32.5" and another at 25.5", also picked up a 2"x6" (8 foot long), some 2" wood screws, and some cinching caribeners ... I had to do some custom fitment for the main platform in the very back to work around my tailgate mounted subwoofer... I used Gorilla brand wood glue for all the parts I assembled, as well as numerous wood screws.. this is the MOST 'woodworking' I've ever done in my life LOL and I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together. I've got about 75" of flat sleep area altogether.

Next steps will be to find a way to anchor the main platform down to the Bronco tie-downs in the cargo area, and then to wrap everything in marine grade carpeting.. but so far, so good!!

Sponsored

Last edited:

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is pretty great! Thanks for the shout out! I hope you get good use out of it. I may still end up putting carpet on mine too. I haven't added any hinges as others have done and I probably won't.

I can't recommend the Deep Sleep overland mattresses enough. The form fit to the exact size of the platform, they are not too large when rolled up, and they are super comfy. The initial mattress pad I had in my first photos on my post was one I used in the bed of my Ranger. It worked but just doesn't compare to the Deep Sleep.

OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been thinking about building a single sleeping platform but keep putting it off. What mattress did you decide on?
I actually have one I bought at REI for camping, it's an inflatable single-person size.. I haven't tried it yet though... next step for the platform is to install some recessed d-rings as tie-down points, which will also allow me to tether the underside of the platform to the factory tie-down points to keep the main platform secure, then I'll eventually cover it in some kind of carpeting.. didn't want this to turn into a super expensive project, and while some of the more fitted inflatable mattresses look really nice, they're not cheap - and I don't plan on camping often, so this is just for rare use cases

Sponsored
OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Spray adhesive and sub box carpet? or maybe some spray on bed liner(paint it black first and use liner for texture)?
yeah, I'm actually leaning towards spray on bedliner for the underside of it, and then use speaker box carpeting for the tops and edges to help it look a bit more 'finished', also to help with any rattles/knocking around while it's all stored in the back

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Home Depot has diamond-zee patterned foam rubber mat material on small rolls. That is a nice cushy addition on top of the lay-flat platform. Helps the knees when crawling in/out.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this hinge so you can lift to get into the floor storage?

OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this hinge so you can lift to get into the floor storage?
can still access it without having to lift the platform

OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Made some more progress this weekend ... wrapped the main platform in marine grade carpet (used Gorilla glue spray adhesive and staples), and secured it to the stock tie-down points with turnbuckles so it doesn't move/bounce around. Because of how closely I cut the edge against the tailgate, it has created a secure storage space underneath that can't be accessed without opening the tailgate - so I have stored my Morrflate 4-way system, kinetic rope, soft shackles, first aid kit, gloves, blankets and more underneath it, out of view when the tailgate is closed.
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1320.JPG
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1328.JPG
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1321.JPG
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1319.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

got the other two pieces carpeted and installed today - I laid down back there with plenty of room (I'm 6'0, 205 chunky pounds) ... very happy with how this came out, and I get some nice secure storage underneath as well, that can't be seen or accessed without opening the tailgate :) .. I've got my kinetic recovery rope, Morrflate 4-way inflation hose setup, emergency roadside kit, first aid kit, gloves, blankets, hatchet, and more stored under there.
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1357.JPG
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1358.JPG
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1360.JPG
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1361.JPG
Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1362.JPG

Ford Bronco EDIT - FINISHED! ... Another 4-door sleep platform DIY thread! IMG_1357.JPG

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice job!

Looks like you split the front panel up and added some notches.

Any pics of this in go mode? curious how the panels connect/disconnect
Sponsored