Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Tiburon, 2018 Harley Davidson FXFBS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you think it was a sealing problem or something else? You do know they’re going to accuse you of not properly reinstalling the roof panels, so I hope you have plenty of pictures and maybe video.

Messed up that this happened with the newer roof and hope it was some sort of fluke.
I noticed there are two latches at the center of the two piece removable roof panels over the driver and passenger seats. the latch on the left closest to the driver is not operating correctly and is causing the roof to flex slightly. I believe this is the cause of the leak. I never removed any of the roof panels.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The hero switches is one big molded plastic of silicon. So all that water, more than half a cup, drained and disappeared in a matter of minutes? Is there a hole poked in there somewhere?

Since the damage is done, can you put the hose back to the top and pinpoint the water intrusion. Just make sure to have some extra towels ready. I am crawling around my Bronco trying to see how that could happen.

Or, can you remove your front panels and check to see if there is not some missing bolts in the front drain channel above the aux switches? If a bolt is missing this would allow water to directly drain into the aux switch overhead console.

Ford Bronco Electrical Systems Failure, Caused By MIC 2.0 Leak PXL_20220219_185415678

Did you check the all the grounds in the power distribution box?

OP
OP
fdac

fdac

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The hero switches is one big molded plastic of silicon. So all that water, more than half a cup, drained and disappeared in a matter of minutes? Is there a hole poked in there somewhere?

Since the damage is done, can you put the hose back to the top and pinpoint the water intrusion. Just make sure to have some extra towels ready. I am crawling around my Bronco trying to see how that could happen.

Or, can you remove your front panels and check to see if there is not some missing bolts in the front drain channel above the aux switches? If a bolt is missing this would allow water to directly drain into the aux switch overhead console.

Ford Bronco Electrical Systems Failure, Caused By MIC 2.0 Leak PXL_20220219_185415678

Did you check the all the grounds in the power distribution box?

OP
OP
fdac

fdac

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The first thing I checked was the battery ground. I have not removed any of the roof panels yet. It was 60 degrees that day and decided to take advantage of the nice weather and hand wash the vehicle. The water is shut off as it was 20 degrees last night. You are right about the hero switches, I was surprised when the water was gone. I think the PCM module is right below/next to the hero switches in the dash from the exploded drawings I saw.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

See, told you. The blanket statement being made is that there are “10’s of thousands” hard tops out there...not even close to that.
Ok, I’ll say thousands for sake of argument. Now what? You still got maybe 1-2% being vocal about issues.

see, told you. 🤯

Sponsored
OP
OP
fdac

fdac

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will remove the front panels now and see what I find.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed there are two latches at the center of the two piece removable roof panels over the driver and passenger seats. the latch on the left closest to the driver is not operating correctly and is causing the roof to flex slightly. I believe this is the cause of the leak. I never removed any of the roof panels.
Sounds like Ford owes you a new Bronco or a quality refurb my friend. Hope it turns around for you quickly.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you let any wax contact the hardtop while washing the Bronco? ;)

Seriously though, is it possible to capture in photos, what you mentioned about the left side latch and roof flex? That would be interesting to see and compare to some other roofs and how the panels sit.

OP
OP
fdac

fdac

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you let any wax contact the hardtop while washing the Bronco? ;)

Seriously though, is it possible to capture in photos, what you mentioned about the left side latch and roof flex? That would be interesting to see and compare to some other roofs and how the panels sit.
I didn't use any wax, I just washed it with Chemical Guy's Mr Pink. super suds shampoo.

OP
OP
fdac

fdac

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you think it was a sealing problem or something else? You do know they’re going to accuse you of not properly reinstalling the roof panels, so I hope you have plenty of pictures and maybe video.

Messed up that this happened with the newer roof and hope it was some sort of fluke.
The problem, as far as I can tell is that the water entered through the center seam. It flowed over the auxillary switch bank and filled the hero switches on the dash. It was gone by the time I returned with a rag. The six plastic latches that hold the roof on dont operate smoothly and I believe they are flexing the roof panels.

Sponsored
OP
OP
fdac

fdac

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I removed the panels for the first time and did not see any missing bolts. It looks like there are two drains in the channel, one on the left side the other on the right side. The drains run the water out through the pillars.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think its protected from some water intrusion, a sprinkling, it is not IP67 waterproof. "hosing down" should be done gently, to only the floor area. some sprinkling on the vinyl seats will be OK, but getting water on the IP could easily go very wrong..
Understood about hosing out the interior, but they do market the Bronco as being used “in the wild” sans the top. So, one should reasonably expect it to be able to survive some unexpected rainfall otherwise you’d need to tow a trailer with the MIC top in tow. As mentioned earlier, I find it hard to believe a leaky top could introduce more exposure than having the top off.
I’ve owned multiple late model Harleys which all have advanced electronics, built in GPS, touch screens, and the like and they just laugh at the rain.
Regardless, it’s a shame that he had experienced the problem with a)the leaky top, and b) the failures caused by the water from the leaky top.

OP
OP
fdac

fdac

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Understood about hosing out the interior, but they do market the Bronco as being used “in the wild” sans the top. So, one should reasonably expect it to be able to survive some unexpected rainfall otherwise you’d need to tow a trailer with the MIC top in tow. As mentioned earlier, I find it hard to believe a leaky top could introduce more exposure than having the top off.
I’ve owned multiple late model Harleys which all have advanced electronics, built in GPS, touch screens, and the like and they just laugh at the rain.
Regardless, it’s a shame that he had experienced the problem with a)the leaky top, and b) the failures caused by the water from the leaky top.
I know what you mean about the New Harley's. I have a 2018 Fat Bob and rode twenty six miles in the pouring rain without any problems. Just finished a stage one upgrade with the Harley Davidson auto-tunner. It was worth every penny! I don't have any more electrical issues after I took the health report. I will have to clear the codes eventually. I'm worried about the water that leaked through the hero switches and caused the electrical issues and any potential electrical damage that it may have caused.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is a TSB for the header seal. Unsure if it could be the source of your leak but I know owners observed water leaking out of the airbag covers on the A-Pillars. Worth a look anyway.

Good luck. Sorry you're dealing with this

EDIT: Link to the TSB thread

Deleted member 32220

Now I am confused...... I thought these things were supposed to be able to endure getting wet inside, (hence the drains in the floors, the marine grade vinyl seats (marketed as washout interior), etc.
Even a leaky top should introduce less water than having the top off in an unexpected rainstorm.
Bottom line is that I feel doubly bad for Frank because of these failures. Sure hope they can be resolved permanently and quickly by your dealer.
It’s all smoke and mirrors for marketing. Ford only needed to do 1 of 2 things here. Don’t introduce water, or don’t introduce this level of electronics. Parking brake and t-case come to mind quickly.
Sponsored