Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subway
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Water Intrusion from washing with garden hose.

I have the exact same issue, and coincidentally (or not) the same model (2 Door Black Diamond) and I’m located on Long Island. My electronics still work but the screen is all cloudy now. I brought it in to have it fixed but just washed my car this weekend and the same thing happened with the water leaking through the aux switches and down into and behind the hero switches. I wonder if the hero switches are supposed to be sealed…seems like a real flaw that they aren’t and there is a ton of electronics right there that can easily get drenched. @Ford Motor Company is this issue wide spread? A bit upset that I had it in to be serviced and this issue is still occurring. And now my screen is getting more damaged.

Ford Bronco Electrical Systems Failure, Caused By MIC 2.0 Leak IMG_5411

Ford Bronco Electrical Systems Failure, Caused By MIC 2.0 Leak IMG_5412

Sponsored

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Consequential damage should be covered so long as the part that failed is. Make sure the dealer knows and documents this so you don't get hung with a repair later on.

NYCBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subway
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Consequential damage should be covered so long as the part that failed is. Make sure the dealer knows and documents this so you don't get hung with a repair later on.
@flip do you know if the hero switches are supposed to be sealed or is that gap actually supposed to be there. Seems like real flaw for an open top vehicle to have a really easy way for water to drip all over electronics...

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The switch is coated with silicone or some type of rubber so it's fairly sealed but the unit drops down into the dash almost directly above the display. I can easily see it running around the edges and dripping directly onto the screen.

I think Ford did some stuff to help make it a little more water resistant as well as for the tactile feel. Yes, rain is going to get into the electronics from above and if you swamp the interior, going to get into connectors and maybe some modules. The did a fair job at moving modules and other sensitive electronics higher up in the body to give them more of a chance when people get into mud or spray. The probably assume you'll be throwing the soft top or panels on at the first hint of rain and it won't be that bad. It's always leaks like these that they didn't or couldn't account for. Much like some of the F150s and Expeditions years ago that had windshield delamination and let water enter and run down directly on the back of the GEM module/fuse box.

Make sure they pull the upfitter switches down and make sure there isn't any water sitting in the connectors or switches. Last thing you want is corrosion starting that doesn't show up until 37,000.
Ford Bronco Electrical Systems Failure, Caused By MIC 2.0 Leak 1684256332489

NYCBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subway
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The switch is coated with silicone or some type of rubber so it's fairly sealed but the unit drops down into the dash almost directly above the display. I can easily see it running around the edges and dripping directly onto the screen.

I think Ford did some stuff to help make it a little more water resistant as well as for the tactile feel. Yes, rain is going to get into the electronics from above and if you swamp the interior, going to get into connectors and maybe some modules. The did a fair job at moving modules and other sensitive electronics higher up in the body to give them more of a chance when people get into mud or spray. The probably assume you'll be throwing the soft top or panels on at the first hint of rain and it won't be that bad. It's always leaks like these that they didn't or couldn't account for. Much like some of the F150s and Expeditions years ago that had windshield delamination and let water enter and run down directly on the back of the GEM module/fuse box.

Make sure they pull the upfitter switches down and make sure there isn't any water sitting in the connectors or switches. Last thing you want is corrosion starting that doesn't show up until 37,000.
Ford Bronco Electrical Systems Failure, Caused By MIC 2.0 Leak 1684256332489
Thanks @flip. I always park it with a garbage bag and towel on the dash over the hero switches. Of course I thought the issue was fixed by the dealer so didn’t do it on the last wash and now my screen is cloudy again. I’m also worried what all the water going through the over head lights and aux switches is doing. I’ll make sure the dealer pulls the upfitter switches down to be sure there isn't any water sitting in the connectors or switches, as you mentioned.

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now I am confused...... I thought these things were supposed to be able to endure getting wet inside, (hence the drains in the floors, the marine grade vinyl seats (marketed as washout interior), etc.
Even a leaky top should introduce less water than having the top off in an unexpected rainstorm.
Bottom line is that I feel doubly bad for Frank because of these failures. Sure hope they can be resolved permanently and quickly by your dealer.
Rinse out floor. Low pressure. And seats are easy to clean and can get wet. Nowhere does Ford say to wash the dashboard and electronics.

dave brady

First Edition
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm having similar problems with my 2021 Bronco First Edition. Power steering went out, and the computer read out (10 pages of codes) often refers to "lost communication with Power Steering Assist Module A". Did you lose power steering OP?

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm having similar problems with my 2021 Bronco First Edition. Power steering went out, and the computer read out (10 pages of codes) often refers to "lost communication with Power Steering Assist Module A". Did you lose power steering OP?
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Within 2-3 months I had the rubber above the windshield (and the back window rubber) replaced on warranty because, as the service writer said, it had "gone flat". I saw flecks of water coming in on the passenger and rear windows (rear window looked like a flood, there's a thread on here somewhere with pictures). I assume some of the leak may be related for others with water leaking from the front top panels.

Funny enough, my '95 Jeep YJ top leaked whenever it rained right onto my knee; it was literally like water torture on long drives. When I finally pulled off the soft top and looked at it, the whole windshield frame was rusted and the person I bought it from had used blue plastic sheetrock anchors to hold it in place. But hey, it was a new top when I bought it! 👀 :rolleyes:

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

never has any issues with leaking tops. Hope they get yours fixed.

dave brady

First Edition
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Hi, thanks for offering to help. My VIN is 1FMEE5EP2MLA40428. I bought the vehicle at South Bay Ford in Hawthorn, CA, but now it is located near Creede, CO. I believe my nearest dealer is Town and Country Car and Truck Center in Alamosa, CO.

My power steering is not functioning at all. When I start the vehicle I get "steering assist fault, service required", "Pre-Collision Assist not available" and "Service AdvanceTrac" warnings.

I bought and installed a new battery hoping that might fix it - but it didn't. I disconnected the negative battery terminal connection and drained the capacitors and the power steering started to work again. So the unit itself will function. Unfortunately, after about 10 miles the power steering went out again. I tried the battery terminal disconnect again, but no luck. Power steering is still out.

The Alamosa dealer is 2.5 hours away from where I am (remote summer cabin) and the Bronco is my only vehicle here. I called the dealer and they said this is not a problem that can be solved while I wait, and they did not have any loaner or rental vehicles for me.

So I plan to drive the car without power steering until I return to my home dealer in Hawthorn, CA. Quite an inconvenience, but still safe to drive. That way when the dealer tells me it will take days or weeks to fix, I can at least stay in my home rather than a hotel in Alamosa waiting for the repair to be completed.

Regards,
Dave Brady
Sponsored