Sponsored

Electronic parking brake?

Deleted member 3063

I’m pretty sure the Bronco is going to get an electronic parking or e-brake. Do we know where the controls are? On the dash or on the center console?

if it’s in the center console, I would be worried about my dog accidentally releasing the parking brake by stepping on the button. I think that’s what happened here:
Can your dog reach the main brake pedal while he's releasing the p brake? I suppose that might be possible.
The wife's 2020 Escape requires you to depress the brake pedal to release the p brake.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd much rather have a manual handbrake lever. Handbrake turns on snow and ice (and dirt) can be very useful, fun, .... and can save your ass if the front end is plowing.
This should be fixed with trail turn assist. I’m looking forward to playing with that.

AZRap

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 16 Mustang, 56 F100, 19 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The key will need to be in the "on" position with brake pedal depressed to release electric parking brake.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I very well may be wrong, but I thought JK and JL Wranglers (I can't quite tell which this happens to be) have mechanical parking brakes. Note the lever between front seats.

Don't believe either ever offered the rotary automatic shifter, either (JL auto below).

Ford Bronco Electronic parking brake? 1595031885788
The crushed one is a JK You can tell because it doesn't have a Jeep badge and just stickers. Also the door handles are slightly different. And you are correct, they both have a mechanical parking break like the one pictured.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I very well may be wrong, but I thought JK and JL Wranglers (I can't quite tell which this happens to be) have mechanical parking brakes. Note the lever between front seats.

Don't believe either ever offered the rotary automatic shifter, either (JL auto below).

1602726449887.png
Yes Wrangler has a proper manual lever actuated parking brake.

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd much rather have a manual handbrake lever. Handbrake turns on snow and ice (and dirt) can be very useful, fun, .... and can save your ass if the front end is plowing.
I could never get my parking brake adjusted perfectly in my Wrangler. I'd get it to where it would hold well on an incline but the shoes would drag. I'd back it off to where the shoes would not drag anymore but the brake wouldn't hold the Jeep on a steep incline. But, it did work great for screwing around in the snow :D:

Ford Bronco Electronic parking brake? 20171222_073605

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The key will need to be in the "on" position with brake pedal depressed to release electric parking brake.
I drove one of the last manual-transmission Subaru Legacy models, which was also the first to have the EPB. Seem to recall if you applied the EPB but then let out the clutch while in gear, it would release the parking brake, effectively serving as a hill-start aid. I kinda liked that.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Anyone with a current Ranger that can confirm where the controls are located? @Rick Astley
Ranger is a manual E-brake. Lever to the left of the automatic shift lever. Pretty "typical" configuration for non-modern cars, and more reliable with a trailer than an electronic servo.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drove one of the last manual-transmission Subaru Legacy models, which was also the first to have the EPB. Seem to recall if you applied the EPB but then let out the clutch while in gear, it would release the parking brake, effectively serving as a hill-start aid. I kinda liked that.
The electronic brake may be acceptable for some people on-road in some basic situations. But off-road I think it will be lacking. At least for the manual trans Bronco. Which on a related note, has anything been said yet, if the new Bronco will have the capability to start while in gear?

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

According to the driver, no. It wasn't running.

" The 22yr old male, who was the driver of the Jeep Wrangler Sport, told Deputies he had shut off the engine, applied the emergency brake and stepped out of the vehicle to help direct a driver behind him around a tight turn. "
The JK hand-lever parking brake is not very reliable. Mine broke on the boat ramp - fortunately while I was still in the driver’s seat. The replacement lever and spring ratchet was dodgy for years. I had to pump it up and down to get it to ratchet and then be careful to pull it where it would hold the Jeep but not pop the ratchet back to no tension. Finally I read that spraying brake fluid helps - which it does eliminate most of the tension pop incidents.

Nice to have a handbrake but not a sucky one like the Jeep JKs.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True. My reckless love of manual e-brake maneuvers 100% saved my ass several times.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
if the wrangler was an automatic with the rotary gear selector, it's a jeep FCA design flaw.
the same thing killed anton yelchin his jeep pinned him after failing to properly select 'park'
Anton left his vehicle in neutral.
A mental error.
Not going to speak Ill of the dead.

----
As an owner of a 6M transmission JK Jeep with the hand brake, I'm very sketchy about a vehicle with an e-brake under the bottom LEFT dash.

AFAIK, you can't do the classic stop at a steeply inclined road crossing.

Put it in neutral, pull the e-brake, take your foot off the brake.

When it's time to cross:
Depress the clutch, put it in 1st. Switch your right hand the e-brake, slowly release the clutch when ready to go.
Then release the e-brake as the clutch grabs.

-----

Does the Electronic e-brake release ONLY as the vehicle moves forward?

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I read some what of that Jeep issue, and I’m more inclined to believe he did not engage the Parking brake, it happens a lot. Sad it happened to that extent. I also believe the bronco has hill start assist or what ever ford is calling it. So parking brake engages when stopped and disengages when you start moving. It’s an amazing feature on my wife’s manual civic si. Never had any problems working on any electric parking brakes unless someone didn’t know you can’t just crank those rear caliper pistons back in. On most cars with an electronic parking brake it will automatically engage when you shut off the car and disengage when you start moving. Just make sure its actually engaged before leaving your car, you can hear it, the parking brake lights up when engaged, you feel the brake pedal drop a little bit. Just be safe and remember manuals mean we want more control of our vehicles so be more in control of your vehicle and keep in mind those extra steps.

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does the Electronic e-brake release ONLY as the vehicle moves forward?

Depends on the manufacturer. I was a Honda tech for years, e-parking brake would disengage depending on Load, accelerator pedal position A and B, throttle body position, brake pedal position, ABS unit, I’m sure a couple more. Any failure in any of those systems the electronic parking brake/ Hill Start Assist wouldn’t do anything and You’d get a DTC. To me it would disengage just in time with normal driving. Never felt slow or fast, just right. I’ve only driven Honda’s with manual trans and hill start assist. If I driven other manufacturers or ford I just don’t remember so I’ll assume it functioned the same way ?
Sponsored