First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well... if it gives you peace of mind...

I personally have too many other shit to spend money on
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry bud, but this device will NOT protect from EMP, which goes through everything in all directions. You have to wrap the item to be protected entirely in copper mesh or equivalent. FARADAY CAGE)
This has the same vibe as fuel line magnets.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you truly wish to create a proper faraday ”cage” per se, within the engine compartment, the most important thing would be to electrically ground the “cage” part.

Create a fabricated copper mesh, in 4 panels (top / left side / right side / front), and then ground each one together [think electrical grounding wires]. The difficulty is going to be the lack of earth ground when shielded by the massive rubber tires. Maybe a trailing copper “drag” ground?
You're on the right path but that is only half of the solution. Every instrument in the dash, every electronic module hidden in the cabin and every wire harness throughout the vehicle would have to be inside a faraday cage or be designed to EMP standards. In addition every cable harness and every wire, has to be shielded or wrapped in conductive overwrap. The reality is, no, you cannot protect a vehicle from EMP unless it is designed for it from the beginning (like some military vehicles).

This is how we design every system that goes onto an aircraft. We then test the systems extensively inside shielded test chambers (essentially faraday cage themselves). These tests are conducted in accordance with RTCA DO-160 test standards for commercial aircraft and for military aircraft there are a host of additional regulations.

Fuel Line magnets will work better than EMP Shield. Trailing copper “drag” ground will provide you with a great Red Neck look, nothing more.

DIY Faraday Bronco for Dummies Primer (RTCA DO-160 test standards):

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not dumping on the idea but seeing multiple lightning strike vehicles in the shop over the years, I don't see this helping. EMP is one thing, 3 million volts passing through your car, is a completely different animal.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Not dumping on the idea but seeing multiple lightning strike vehicles in the shop over the years, I don't see this helping. EMP is one thing, 3 million volts passing through your car, is a completely different animal.
What, you mean these massively tiny 18 ga wires will not shunt 3 million volts to ground? ;)

Ford Bronco EMP Shield Install? EMP-Shield-Vehicle-model-1

Sponsored

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you truly wish to create a proper faraday ”cage” per se, within the engine compartment, the most important thing would be to electrically ground the “cage” part.

Create a fabricated copper mesh, in 4 panels (top / left side / right side / front), and then ground each one together [think electrical grounding wires]. The difficulty is going to be the lack of earth ground when shielded by the massive rubber tires. Maybe a trailing copper “drag” ground?
Psst! Hey buddy is that a tail hangin' from the bottom of your rig?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What, you mean these massively tiny 18 ga wires will not shunt 3 million volts to ground? ;)

Ford Bronco EMP Shield Install? EMP-Shield-Vehicle-model-1
I believe that would just be another line item on the insurance claim helping get to the total loss threshold. Air bags, seat belt pretensioners, every module, every sensor, transmission solenoids, all audio system, all HVAC controls and actuators, cluster, park/proximity sensors/cameras. I could keep going on.

My understanding of EMP is the kind of protection needed is directly related to the type and delivery of the EMP. Could range from wrapping something (phone) in several layers of foil and grounding it, faraday cage to your screwed because a nuke detonated. I'm well informed on EMF and how that happens and am more concerned about that than EMP. Let's face it, an EMP is going to come in the form of a nuke or some sort of hi tech device. Even if your vehicle ran, the probability that the grid and most communications are going to be down is almost 100% so fuel will be limited to what you have or can carry. Where are you going?

If this is about buying these and it lowers your home or auto insurance more than the cost of the devices and installation, why not. Just gives insurance less room to wiggle out of a claim should you get hit with an EMP. Again, don't want to sound like a prick, just want to say that I've seen lightning direct and indirect hits on cars and trucks and none ever turn out good.

My BIL works with a company that installs commercial lightning protection (current jobs are on bourbon rack houses) will take the majority of the surge but it usually bakes most of the electronics inside the building too. Mainly there to lessen the chance of a lightning induced fire.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A guy on Facebook did one yesterday

Ford Bronco EMP Shield Install? C6045EFC-0EC8-40D9-B871-F685E3B9DA4D

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco EMP Shield Install? 1648129089240

This just made me laugh.

A prepper isn't running around in a vehicle with more electronics than it took to do a moon launch. A prepper is running something like an early CJ with all mechanical parts, no electronic ignition, probably with enough NOS to rebuild everything four or five times over.

Also, that box is useless.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A fool and his money are soon parted.

If you're really worried about electromagnetic interference disabling your modern car, preventing you from driving down to the Cracker Barrel after a full-on nuclear barrage that was close enough to hit you with an emp but not so close all of your local infrastructure and commerce is still in tact and fully functioning..

The only option is a vehicle without any (complicated) electronics:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/163-1404-old-diesels-allow-radio-silence-at-nrao/

Ford Bronco EMP Shield Install? 1648129788507

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The local vinyl wrap shops going to see a lot of requests to do a “tin foil” wrap…

Ford Bronco EMP Shield Install? 1648129787005

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So I'll admit that I'm a prepper. I take the whole boy scout always prepared thing to another level, lol. But I installed an emp shield device on my 21 bronco. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the positive battery connector has pre-made ports for accessories to be installed on.

And FYI the emp shield device is supposed to protect the vehicle from an electro magnetic pulse from an aerial nuclear blast.
Psst, buddy, if your Bronco survives from an aerial nuclear blast, you will not, so who cares if the Bronco survives.

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True emp protection vehicle-wise would be an old school carburized engine and having a spare starter solonoid and alternator lying around in a proper faraday cage.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco EMP Shield Install? 1648129787005
You know it's a high tech component and leading edge technology when it's housed in a plastic 1 gang electrical box from Home Depot with a blank cover that has a sticker on it, and using building wire rather than automotive electrical cable. At least they could have put some sort of strain relief in the conduit hub. Wonder what modern marvel is housed in the box? Gotta love the new fangled snake oil they come up with these days...
Sponsored