Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looking at the pictures which of course could be misleading, but it seems like if they had included more flex tube you could have completely gone around your windshield washer fluid.

It also look like it's just the filler tube that would be in the way. So you may be able to cut that filler tube in the middle, put a 90° rubber elbow with some hose clamps and it reattach the filler tube. It's not like it has any pressure on it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
pandapaul

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update the OP with this video about water flow:

OP
OP
pandapaul

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking at the pictures which of course could be misleading, but it seems like if they had included more flex tube you could have completely gone around your windshield washer fluid.

It also look like it's just the filler tube that would be in the way. So you may be able to cut that filler tube in the middle, put a 90° rubber elbow with some hose clamps and it reattach the filler tube. It's not like it has any pressure on it.
That's an excellent idea. I want to pop the fender back off and have a look at what the possibilities may be in that same area. The main blocker is definitely that filler tube, but it looked like the other end of the reservoir would block the area where the snorkel meets the fender.

OP
OP
pandapaul

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No pictures/video of the actual cutting of the fender???? Let's see the gory details!
Nah. I had a local shop do the cutting, and I didn't sneak back there. The sounds were something though. I could hear all the GRRRAGHGHHGHGH from the waiting room.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pandapaul

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey so where did you buy the parts for the Snorkel? did you get a Ford Rep to get them for you?
Updated the OP with this parts list...

Ford Part NameDescriptionPart Number w/LinkPrice (USD)
Hose Air - Inlet - 2.3l.External snorkel body tubeNB3Z-9A698-B$560.00
Air Cleaner Intake Tube. Engine Air Intake Hose Adapter - 2.3l.Internal snorkel body tubeNB3Z-9C675-B$275.72
Tube Air Cleaner Intake - 2.3l.Short flexible hose connecting the internal snorkel body tube to the air box lidNB3Z-9C675-A$82.58
Air Filter Housing. Cover.Air box lidNB3Z-9661-C$47.33
Gasket. Cover Seal - Upper - 2.3l.Air box lid gasketNB3Z-9654-A$7.09
Engine Air Intake Hose Bracket - 2.3l.Bracket mounting by the cowl/mirrorNB3Z-9B609-B$14.58
Engine Air Intake Hose Bracket - 2.3l.Bracket mounting on the A pillarNB3Z-9B609-A$14.58
Cover - Lower - 2.3l.Snap on cover for the external snorkel body connection at the fenderNB3Z-9B697-A$7.55
Engine Air Intake Hose Bolt - M6 X 20mm - 2.3l.Some boltsW721177-S450B$11.00
Air Filter Housing Screw - 5 X 28mm - 2.3l.Some screwsW721933-S450B$15.00
Total for Parts$1,035.43
Parts & Labor$1,515.43

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update April 24, 2023

The snorkel is installed!

1682361144555.png

It went well with the local shop. Four hours of labor, which was less than I anticipated. The washer fluid reservoir was simply removed, and I'm fine with that. I can figure that one out on my own rather than paying the shop to do so. The bracket holding the driveline control module didn't have to move or be adjusted, which is awesome. I opted to not replace the blowoff valve, but I will keep an eye and ear out for any oddities that would indicate the need for a change. Overall, I'm thrilled with how this project is going. There's more to do, which I'll list below, but today marks a huge win. High fives and gratitude to all the folks who have contributed photos, information, ideas, support, critiques, and time.

Here's a parts list
Ford Part NameDescriptionPart Number w/LinkPrice (USD)
Hose Air - Inlet - 2.3l.External snorkel body tubeNB3Z-9A698-B$560.00
Air Cleaner Intake Tube. Engine Air Intake Hose Adapter - 2.3l.Internal snorkel body tubeNB3Z-9C675-B$275.72
Tube Air Cleaner Intake - 2.3l.Short flexible hose connecting the internal snorkel body tube to the air box lidNB3Z-9C675-A$82.58
Air Filter Housing. Cover.Air box lidNB3Z-9661-C$47.33
Gasket. Cover Seal - Upper - 2.3l.Air box lid gasketNB3Z-9654-A$7.09
Engine Air Intake Hose Bracket - 2.3l.Bracket mounting by the cowl/mirrorNB3Z-9B609-B$14.58
Engine Air Intake Hose Bracket - 2.3l.Bracket mounting on the A pillarNB3Z-9B609-A$14.58
Cover - Lower - 2.3l.Snap on cover for the external snorkel body connection at the fenderNB3Z-9B697-A$7.55
Engine Air Intake Hose Bolt - M6 X 20mm - 2.3l.Some boltsW721177-S450B$11.00
Air Filter Housing Screw - 5 X 28mm - 2.3l.Some screwsW721933-S450B$15.00

So that's $1035.43 total for parts before tax.
Four hours of labor at a local shop was $480. (I'm not equipped to do the cutting.)
Total cost of about $1515.43 + tax.

1682361181278.png

1682361320832.png

1682361461788.png

1682361503100.png

-------

Original Post March 31, 2023

Howdy, friends. I'm working towards adding an Everglades snorkel to my Badlands. It might not work out, but I'm gonna give it a shot and see how far it gets. Here are some photos of the parts that arrived today. I'm in the process of identifying what I'm missing, so I'll be ordering a couple more bits and bobs. Majority is here though, I think. There will be a couple things to relocate including the windshield washer fluid reservoir and a wiring harness or two.

1680278903936.png

1680278921031.png

1680278941088.png

1680278972451.png

There's an unpleasant couple marks here on the inside of the main external snorkel piece where the bend occurs. I'm not sure how problematic this is.
1680278985251.png

I balanced the external piece on the mirror mount to see where things will sit.
1680279004796.png

Laying the pieces into the engine bay to get a look at what will need to be moved. I really like the airbox cover. Seems like a good design.
1680279019504.png

Closeup of some dirty components that may need to move.
1680279046025.png

Parts diagram from Ford Parts site. I'm missing 9E691 and 9B609A, I believe. Going to place an order for those. I thiiiink I have everything else? 🤞
1680279472989.png

Here are the part numbers that Ford Parts gave to me and I ordered:
Inlet hose -- NB3Z-9A698-B
Tube -- NB3Z-9C675-B & NB3Z-9C675-A
Cover -- NB3Z-9661-C
Gasket -- NB3Z-9654-A
Bracket -- NB3Z-9B609-B
Hardware -- W721177-S450B, W722303-S450B, W505494-S442, W721933-S450B

Note that the diagram and these part numbers I was given don't perfectly line up. 🤷‍♂️ We'll see how that works out.

April 1, 2023 Update
I swapped the air box lids, relocated the driveline control module grounding wire, temporarily removed the washer fluid reservoir inlet pipe, and shoved a wiring harness out of the way to see how things are going to fit. Getting close but I couldn't quite get the snorkel tube end flush against the fender. Might not need much else to make it happen, but I'm not gonna call it a win just yet. Feeling good though. 😊
PXL_20230401_141444754.jpg

April 6, 2023 Update
The cover and bracket pieces I ordered (NB3Z-9B697-A and NB3Z-9B609-A respectively) have arrived! Looks like the bracket that mounts to the A pillar does so just with a sticky pad rather than drilling, which is great. I wasn't looking forward to potentially goofing up my A pillar. Here's a couple pics showing the fronts and backs of the two pieces.
1680794627452.png

1680794638168.png

April 20, 2023 Update
Thanks to several very helpful B6G members, I've got some more parts information:
  • N2DZ-17618-A is the washer fluid reservoir
  • NB3Z-7D438-A is the bracket to which that reservoir and the DCM mount
Both of those are pretty pricey, and I'm curious if I can get by without them. I'm going to hold off on ordering them until I am sure they'll be needed.
  • CJ5Z-9U465-A is listed as "Valve Seal. Turbocharger Boost Pressure Relief Valve."
This one I did go ahead and order. It has been reported that these are swapped in as part of the Everglades upfitting in the factory. I'm yet unclear on its need, but that'll probably be apparent next week.

April 24, 2023 Update
Basic install complete! See the top of the thread for pics and more info.

April 26, 2023 Update
I wanted to know where rain water would go if a bunch of it got into the head of the snorkel, so I poured some water into it. Some water can pool at the bottom of the external snorkel piece against the fender. Beyond that volume, it may be able to pool a small volume in the internal tube's bottom grooves. Finally, it can pool at and drain out of the bottom of the air box IF it dodges the filter. Some additional sealing beyond factory spec may be desirable, but having a couple stages of pooling to allow evaporation seems at least thoughtful. For intense water crossings where water may come over the hood, though, there are a couple areas to keep an eye on.

Here's a video of that:

Based on observations made there, the rain water flow might be something like this where blue indicates water movement and green indicates barriers/pooling locations. I didn't realize going into the video that the internal snorkel piece has this decently sized area for pooling/evaporation. In retrospect, I do think that helped and can be seen directing water flow in the video.

1682523805979.png

Work in progress
Trying to determine part numbers for the Everglades' washer fluid reservoir and the bracket to which it and the drive line control module mount.
Awaiting April 24th shop appointment for an install attempt.

To do
Check a couple spots for good fitment and adjust if needed.
Write up a comprehensive parts and prices list.
Consider sealing the side cover piece.
Consider buffering the snorkel tubing from the DCM bracket.
Plan out raising the breather lines.

Have a lovely day,
🐼
Maybe I missed it but do you have pics or video of cutting the hole in the fender?

luntz

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See above posts #109 & 110.

Well compiled data list and overall research and development Pandapaul. Good on ya.
May not be for many members, but excellent idea and solution.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nah. I had a local shop do the cutting, and I didn't sneak back there. The sounds were something though. I could hear all the GRRRAGHGHHGHGH from the waiting room.
That’s too bad as I’m sure that is the thing most of us wanted to see. Most aftermarket snorkels come with a template to use as a guide for cutting, but this one obviously doesn’t Since it comes as a factory replacement. So it would have been nice to see where you guys did the hole exactly so we had a reference.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pandapaul

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s too bad as I’m sure that is the thing most of us wanted to see. Most aftermarket snorkels come with a template to use as a guide for cutting, but this one obviously doesn’t Since it comes as a factory replacement. So it would have been nice to see where you guys did the hole exactly so we had a reference.
For sure. I can say that the plan was to cut approximately around the outside of the raised gasket on the external snorkel body end. That raised gasket has a pretty dynamic shape to it. I failed to confirm afterwards exactly how he ended up shaping the cut, since I was focused on a couple other fitment questions. In any case, I do wonder how the cut is done in the factory and @Jro may have info on that. Cutting approximately around that gasket plus cutting two holes for the connecting bolts is probably about it. It could be interesting to try to shape the main hole specifically around that raised gasket, but I'm not confident it would be worth it.

OP
OP
pandapaul

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Everglades fender has three holes stamped in it. One rectangle in the middle with a circle on each side.
Dig it. So there's probably no need to do a special cut following the exact shape of that raised gasket. 👍

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Everglades fender has three holes stamped in it. One rectangle in the middle with a circle on each side.

Don’t know if this is allowed at your work - don’t do anything to get yourself in trouble. But if possible: could you snap a pic of the bare Everglades fender holes before you attach a snorkel to them?

Just for reference

Jro

Don’t know if this is allowed at your work - don’t do anything to get yourself in trouble. But if possible: could you snap a pic of the bare Everglades fender holes before you attach a snorkel to them?

Just for reference
Exactly what you said... I would get in trouble.
I did mention before that if you mounted the snorkel to the cowl first it would align everything to the fender. I would then use sharpie to mark the bolt locations on the fender and use a hole saw where each bolt goes then cut out the center rectangle between the two holes.
Sponsored